NEurope
darksnowman

The Road to Wimbledon- Who Will You Support?

Wasn't surprised murray won, i told my dad he'd win when he was about to lose too =]

but next match will end in defeat for him, unless he does some miricale things...

I'm not usually a big fan of tennis, but I love watching Murray play when he gets all worked up, especially at Wimbledon where he can get the crowd going! After years of watching paint dry (Henman) its a breathe of fresh air.

Henman was great to watch, better than Murray IMO because he came up to the net all the time and was always exciting.

This match, however, was absolutely incredible. Best match I've seen since the Henman glory years. Fantastic stuff.

What happened to Gasquet? He was on easy street and two sets to nil up. Murray is so boring its unbelievable, and he comes across as being such a bollocks. Gasquet is the better player- his backhand is delicious! Speaking of which, I hate Nadal too, but he's just gonna eat Murray in the next match. Murray will do all that gayness with the crowd and all his posing, and it'll make Nadal all the more determined to beat him to a pulp.

Well, there was nothing boring about that performance and he has a good range of shots too. He's still young and has time to mature yet. Nadal has slightly better biceps though...lol!

Murray is so boring its unbelievable, and he comes across as being such a bollocks. Gasquet is the better player- his backhand is delicious! Speaking of which, I hate Nadal too, but he's just gonna eat Murray in the next match. Murray will do all that gayness with the crowd and all his posing, and it'll make Nadal all the more determined to beat him to a pulp.

Gasquet, he lost the crowd, he lost the set he was going to win, he knew he was going to lose from then, you could tell, when he called the ball that he knew was in, from the end shot, he quit, he fell to pieces. Murray didn't, he could have given up at when Gasquet was a couple points from winning, but he didn't.

=]

so neerrr

you can hardly call him boring, Gasquet clearly bottled it serving for the match in the 3rd, then Murray got going and played some amazing shots and won the 4th and 5th sets easily

Murray plays boring tennis. You only like him because its Wimbledon and he's the Brit. If you watched it with some perspective then you would see how aggressively and boring he plays the game. Its just pokey pokey, keep the ball in play and bore the opponent into making a mistake. :zzz:

The thing I like about Murray is that he gets the crowd going. You never see the crowd get behind the team in football internations, they could learn a thing or two from watching tennis.

I watched the fourth set, and I was glued to my screen. I couldn't tear myself away, and I did think Murray deserved it. Well done that man.

Murray plays boring tennis. You only like him because its Wimbledon and he's the Brit. If you watched it with some perspective then you would see how aggressively and boring he plays the game. Its just pokey pokey, keep the ball in play and bore the opponent into making a mistake. :zzz:

Didn't you read earlier

My heart lay with roddick, but he disappointed me, as he always does, stupid choker, so as i refuse to support Nadal or Federererer, i'll find someone i like ;)

And besides, it's a strategy, there's less flaws with it, although it requires alot of stamina, rather than ending it fast like nadal or roddick he lets the games play themselves.

It's a matter of perspective :P

Came home in the middle of the 3rd set and it looked like it was all over for Murray, but he played some great stuff to win the final 3 sets. Awesome shot to win the 3rd set and the crowd reaction was brilliant. From that moment onwards there was only one winner, Gasquet looked lost and overwhelmed. Great match.

The thing I like about Murray is that he gets the crowd going. You never see the crowd get behind the team in football internations, they could learn a thing or two from watching tennis.

I watched the fourth set, and I was glued to my screen. I couldn't tear myself away, and I did think Murray deserved it. Well done that man.

It's because he's British (Scottish really, but British for this example) and it's Wimbledon, as Darksnowman said. He didn't really do that much to get the crowd bouncing. A couple of good shots got them much louder than before. If you saw Chris Eaton play on Court 1 (or Centre?) last week they were exactly the same just because he's British. It's a great atmosphere there and I wouldn't change it for anything. I just don't think it was Murray who created it, they just brought it upon themselves because they want to cheer on the Brit.

And besides, it's a strategy, there's less flaws with it, although it requires alot of stamina, rather than ending it fast like nadal or roddick he lets the games play themselves.

Have you seen Nadal play? :heh:

Have you seen Nadal play? :heh:

Many a time :P

Murrays matches last far longer,

Murray's matches are shorter than Nadal's. Aside from tonights match, Murray is usually defeated quickly and quietly. Nadal is in it for the fight and for long rallies, he actually revels in it. Murray only has long rallies because he has so few shots that penetrate, whereas Nadal has that forehand which even Federer has problems dealing with.

Listen to Charlie if you aren't gonna listen to me. Charlie's a Scot like Murray and he doesn't rate him either. :yay:

Listen to Charlie if you aren't gonna listen to me. Charlie's a Scot like Murray and he doesn't rate him either. :yay:

I do rate him, just not as highly as people are making him out to be. He's a good player but just not consistent enough yet, but that will come with time. And those bloody drop shots. Please stop. Nadal will destroy (italics for extra emphasis) him if he plays those. Nadal's so quick covering the court he really won't stand a chance if he plays as many as he has done in the past 3 games.

Murray's matches are shorter than Nadal's. Aside from tonights match, Murray is usually defeated quickly and quietly. Nadal is in it for the fight and for long rallies, he actually revels in it. Murray only has long rallies because he has so few shots that penetrate, whereas Nadal has that forehand which even Federer has problems dealing with.

What are you on about? Murrays been winning since last year!

And i don't revel in him, i enjoy watching tennis, i play it and love it, i'm looking for great matches, this happened to be one of them

You play tennis do you Dommy, well I'll see you on court and we'll settle this dispute! :p

aye, 10 years of it, the old power house rackets feeling heavier these days, could use an old dust off ;)

great game today and I thought Murray deserved it, my ma and bro were there too. Doubt he'll beat Nadal but you never know.

Nadal will probably wipe the floor with Murray, he can create such power from even behind the baseline when chasing the ball

the only thing I don't like about his style of play is that he takes far too long between points trying to slow the game down.

I ended up watching the whole thing with grandparents and aunts. It was a simply fabulous match. It took Murray a lot to come back after two sets down like that. Excellent play from both players I felt. Murray's winning shot in the third set tie-break has to be the best sporting moment of 2008 so far.

I'm slightly annoyed I didn't watch this now!

I had him labelled as going out at 2 sets down so never watched it. :)

I really do like this Wimbledon this Year what with all the seeds getting knocked out here and there and some great Tennis being played.

Missed Murrray though. :/

Just a heads' up guys: Bahrami is playing today! The funny guy who does all the trick shots! He's playing 2nd on court 11 after a boys doubles match. Hopefully it'll be on BBCi.

And those bloody drop shots. Please stop. Nadal will destroy (italics for extra emphasis) him if he plays those. Nadal's so quick covering the court he really won't stand a chance if he plays as many as he has done in the past 3 games.

Drop shots are actually an excellent play against Nadal when done right. He stands so far behind the baseline at times that a good drop will beat him. It's more effective on clay or hard courts though where he stands farther behind the baseline.