NEurope
darksnowman

The Road to Wimbledon- Who Will You Support?

They clay court season came to a close last weekend as Nadal easily dispatched Federer in Paris. A painful match to watch, but atleast it signalled the end of Nadals year seeing as he dominates on clay and nothing else. Right?

Well in the past he has said that he wants to win Wimbledon and this year they are talking him up more than ever. Its as if Federer doesn't exist any more even though he's still the current world number one. Its a sad sight.

So who's been watching the Stella Artois Championships this week? Its one of the tournaments on the short road to Wimbledon. As things stand, the final tomorrow will be Nadal v Djokovic and I hope Djok gets it because he's the lesser of the two evils. Federer is through to the final in Halle and he's won something like fifty-eight straight matches on grass now, so can Nadal (or anyone) really hurt him at Wimbledon?

What about whoever you will support...?

Andy Murray? Overrated, imo.

Bloody hell, the hype over Andy Murray sucked me in a few years back.

But I remember now: I don't care about tennis.

(This post is just to explain my stupid actions a few years ago, and I apologise for talking about tennis as if I like it.)

I've been watching what I can of the current tournament. Nadal has been hammering his way through. To go from clay to grass, and get into the finals now is really good. I can see Nadal getting the Wimbledon trophy this year.

Wanted Roddick to beat him though. 145mph serve.....=|

Been watching a lot of the tennis recently as I've got BBCi this year, never usually get a chance to watch anything other than Queen's and Wimbledon. Nadal is looking very strong this year and I think he'll take the title today at Queens' Club... Wimbledon.... It's going to be very, very close. I actually think Nadal is going to take it this year, he doesn't seem the be the one-surface wonder as he was for the last few years. I wouldn't actually be surprised if Federer lost in the semis to Djokovic.

As for Murray, he's good, but he's not consistant enough yet. He's obviously a very good player as he's number 11 in the world, won some big tournaments and has beaten massive players. He's still developing and I think it'll take a couple of years until he can consistantly reach the 2nd week of a Major.

As for who I'll be supporting, has to be Murray and then after that I do like watching Federer just because he's so good and makes some amazing shots. I don't really care if he wins or not, just that he gets to the final so I can watch him more.

NOOOO my Wimbledon thread!!! :p

Roger ALL the way. I actually stopped watching the Roland Garros final. It was painful.

Yeah i like watching Tennis! I obviously support Andy Murray! I prefer playing it though..sometimes i think how do they hit it so hard and still get it in the court!

Nadal is too stuck up :P

Mr American Andy Roddick all the way! even though he chokes at the semi's

I only ever really watch Wimbledon as far as tennis goes.. but despite anyone I know not wanting him to do well I have to say that the British in me wants to see Andy Murray do well..

In regards to Federer, he has been sensational for the last 5 years but there is just something about him that I'm not fond of.. If one of the big guns are gonna win it I would like to see Djokovic do the business!

I don't think Federer's going to let anyone get in his way after the year he's had so far. He'll have his hunger back after losing so many heart breakers.

Also, he won Halle today without dropping serve all week.

I hadn't heard of Nadal as i don't often watch Tennis but after that tournament on clay the other week he looked unstoppable, no matter how bad Federer is on clay, he simply kicked his ass. I reckon he will dominate for the next five years at least.

Nadal is too stuck up :P

Mr American Andy Roddick all the way! even though he chokes at the semi's

How is Nadal stuck up at all? He was raised to play tennis with a strong work ethic from a young age, he still trains every day and it shows in how much he has improved on grass over the last few years. When he's losing he doesn't give up and fights hard for every point (except at last years wimbledon where he dissapointed me a little, although federer still outclassed him then) and I've never seen him win or lose ungraciously. At the end of the Paris Open he thanked federer for a good game etc. He deserves respect in many ways as a sportsman.

I'm going to sit on the sidelines shouting "Come on Tim" for no determinable reason.

Is Nadal the green guy with one arm freakishly large? I want him to win if so...or whoever he is.

Is Nadal the green guy with one arm freakishly large? I want him to win if so...or whoever he is.

Yup.

_44745558_nadalx_getty_216.jpg

He'll be in white at Wimbledon though.

Teehee, aye...its the RULES! (Which I only found out yesterday) :)

Yup, she found a loophole last year though:

tatianaDM2806_468x626.jpg

I watched Queens this week and normally only watch Wimbledon. Shame I'm still at school otherwise I'd go up again like last year. :D

I really enjoy watching Tennis, I find it exciting. Who I'll be supporting is in the mens Nadal as he is just phenominal at the moment and in the women's Sharapova as I like her style of tennis. :) (no not the grunting!)

Yeah i like watching Tennis! I obviously support Andy Murray! I prefer playing it though..sometimes i think how do they hit it so hard and still get it in the court!

Loads and loads of topspin which drags the ball down and also they don't hit the ball up and then down unless they absolutely have to. Chances are the ball will bounce above the net.

I'm going to sit on the sidelines shouting "Come on Tim" for no determinable reason.

I want to do that too. :heh:

I want to do that too. :heh:

I'll give it a shout or two for you. :P

I'm going to London on Sunday and Wimbledon on Tuesday/Wednesday.

I'll give it a shout or two for you. :P

I'm going to London on Sunday and Wimbledon on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Make sure you get picked up by the TV cameras... I'll be listening!

Make sure you get picked up by the TV cameras... I'll be listening!

Ok, I'll try to get noticed as much as that guy in the Henman match last year! :grin:

If you want to get noticed I believe streaker is the way to go! :p

I'm not that desperate...yet.

Though if Ivanovic is playing....::shrug:

I'm not that desperate...yet.

Though if Ivanovic is playing....::shrug:

Hehe! :heh:

My mum sat next to one once! :o and was suprised when he got up and took off his velcroe suit!!!! that whipped off in seconds.

I think that Nadal just might do it this year. He is on a massive memtal high at the moment where as Federer is on a bit of a low and even though he will have a determined mind I've never seen him lose so badly like in the french open final and may still remain a bit demoralised. :)