N-Europe

Metal Gear Online

Daft

Time for a Metal Gear Online thread me thinks.

The game will feature 16-player online battles. Players can upgrade skills that their character can use such as hacking, CQC mastery, enhanced lock-on and more, all of which can be leveled up. The player can keep tabs on allies and enemies with nanomachines.

Players will have the ability to "hack" another player's character to steal information from their nanomachines, such as the locations of his/her allies (this is how the SOP(Sons of Patriots) system will be implemented).

New information has revealed that there will be 70+ weapon/attachment combinations in Metal Gear Solid 4, all of which may or may not be carried over into Metal Gear Online.

In certain online modes, a rule called "Drebin Points" can be enabled. When this is enabled, it allows players to collect points for various actions such as kills or headshots. Then, upon respawning or changing weapons, a player can get equipment not usually available in standard games.

Players will also be able to earn rankings for different accomplishments in game, which are presented as "animal ranks". For example, players who are adept at scanning the enemy team for SOP info will receive the Bee rank, while players who are masterful with the stun knife or sniper rifles will earn the Jaws (ie. shark) or Eagle ranks, respectively.

Gameplay types featured in Metal Gear Online include the standard Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch, as well as Capture Mission (analogous to CTF gametypes), Base Mission (a territory control gametype) and Sneaking Mission; the latter gametype involves two teams fighting each other in standard team deathmatch while also trying to avoid the players in control of Snake and Mk. II, whose mission is to collect three dog tags from enemy players before either team reaches the kill count.

metal-gear-online-starter-pack-20070920025324252.jpg

Happy man-cannoning everyone!!

Some more info:

MGO Beta Sneaking Mission Impressions

Metal Gear Online UK Preview

Stars: Icons - Solid Snake

An in-depth look at gaming's most stealthy bad boy.

Metal Gear Online is region locked.

http://talkplaystation.com/metal-gear-online-region-locked/

I have one question is this still using the stupid Konami ID system or have they managed to implement PSN friends lists? Seems as it is part of a flagship title it would make sense to incorporate such features especially with the fabled 2.4 firmware update on its way.

Anyway I can't wait to dable back into this. Didn't play it all that much during the Beta due to GTA 4, but I did really enjoy what I managed to play. I think people expecting a fast paced shooter will be shocked it is very much a metal gear title and the same approach to single player does have to be taken to some degree.

The more I'm playing the single player the more I look forward to digging into this. Anyone been on it yet.

You still need the crappy Konami ID I think.

I've only played one game; I'm a bit paranoid about meeting someone blurting spoilers.

It does still use the ID system, although if you played the Beta then it's just a case of filling in the Game ID you already have. Oh, and you need to download a patch before you can play.

a world without ID would be a world of kaos, It's great to be in the "system" :p

Played it a bit. It's fun. Not sure if I'll keep playing it tough.

TBH, gaming online without a headset is like drinking soda without a taste.

And I don't think MGO isn't worth buying a headset for.

Remember PS3 uses any BT headset. Just use the one with your phone. Also the single player also uses it ina cool way ;)

MGO is really good so far. There is a lack of servers but thats because most are still ont he single player.

Happy to say this is much more fun to play than Battlefield Bad Company. :smile:

Konami id is now much easier to register for as well.

Am i the only one who thinks it's abit crappy online? Single player is amazing but online is abit 'meh'. It may just be that i havn't gotten used to it yet.

Play in practice mode first so you get used to it. There is alot you can do. Also there is heavy customisation of your character abilities and weapons. Levling up is another matter as well.

The maps are really good as they integrate lots of stealth parts, sneaking as well as action parts. Use roll to dodge and escape into building windows etc.

Its not an fps but you have cool abilites not in fps like CQC and stealth options. Alot of the game modes arent just about shooting either.

Still getting familiar with it. But its very fun so far and definately unique. I think Konami are onto something special.

Been playing for 2hrs straight.

It's really good, my average position is 1place ^^

SVD sniper or XM8 ftw.

Here's a great war story I'll share with you guys.

I was playing on the losing team, and we where 2 kills behind. we had to kill 3people without dieing to win the match. My team mates rushed as a group to the blue base while I decided to go another rout solo with my trusted SVD. Time was running low, and as the teams best player I knew it was up to me to save us. Suddenly I saw three people hiding on the left side of map. Full of adrenaline and with little time left I blind fired all my shots. 2of them landed in the opponents heads but that left one guy remaining. I knew he would take me if I reloaded so I switched to my trusty tranquilizer gun, thinking that a draw game is better than losing. He got ready to throw a grenade, but I got lucky and hit him in the head. He fell asleep and dropped his grenade. BOOM!

he was killed by his own grenade and we won the match. EPIC multiplayer finish.

And things like this makes MGO stand out from the rest. I still hope we get a Xbox live version.

I tried adding you flameboy, but I think you have to be online for the search to work.

Doesn't really matter now. I'm quite tired of MGO now :p

Oh right...I was gonna go on later tonight perhaps. Anyhow my game ID is flameboy-ne

fancy playing later?

On holiday right now. Finsihed MGS4 but had to stay the night up lol before my flight. Probably my favourite game ever.

Will be back next week so we can do MGO. My Game ID is Shadow solid or Solid shadow. Something like that.

• 2 months later...

Metal Gear Bumpage! purely because I've finally decided to try out the online mode owing to the current absence of my 360, also I've noticed a few others are playing it on and off now too.

Anyway, before I can even play it I've had to download this EPIC update which has taken the best part of an hour >> got a bluetooth headset for it too but alas now no time to play it tonight. :/

Hopefully tomorrow night though, basically I just wanted to know why it isn't as popular as it perhaps should be? as from the videos and the premise it looks fantastic, anyway was just curious. :smile:

lol I figured as much it'd be something like that :heh: to me though it looks good because it isn't a run and gun game; those are good too of course but there are a lot of them around and therefore this game stands out as it's different, anyway I may finally get around to playing it tonight for a bit, should be good. :smile:

Its quite and different and it shows its a japanese made online game. I like it but teamwork is heavy. The problem is that the game degenerates into a deathmatch even if its designed to be more than that. Its fun when it works though. I love hiding in a box. :heh: