N-Europe

Farscape

Oxigen_Waste

Farscape starts off awfully, like the first 2 season are utter crap, but then it gets really good.

Apparently I saw the first two eps of the ending... I saw the first two eps of the mini series that aired after it was cancelled. Wich is supposedelly the best part of the show. So apparently I witnessed the best and it still looked awfull. From the god damned visual aspect to the way they talk, to the cliched look of the main guy, it all looked completely crappy.

My Mum used to make me watch it and I remember really disliking it, but I used to love Space Precinct so what do I know.

From what I remember it is kind of weird and erotic? And the puppets are silly.

Maybe it's good. I should watch it again.

Wow, I bought the first season because everyone on another forum always listed Farscape in "recommend me a series" threads saying how awesome it is. And now you say it's crap...I'm expecting something similar to Firefly, but I have really no idea. Exactly what am I getting? Should have it by next week I guess.

Wow, I bought the first season because everyone on another forum always listed Farscape in "recommend me a series" threads saying how awesome it is. And now you say it's crap...I'm expecting something similar to Firefly, but I have really no idea. Exactly what am I getting? Should have it by next week I guess.

Good luck with that. Seriously, I thought it was the worst thing I've ever seen. Followed closely by Babylon 5 and all the rest of such crap. :(

I've been watching the first season of Farscape...and well.. I love sci-fi but even I thought this was a hard watch. I very rarely make it through a whole episode, they are quite boring. The characters are all right, but they are just put in the most boring situations ever.

I will try to watch it all, just so I can say I have.

Apparently I saw the first two eps of the ending... I saw the first two eps of the mini series that aired after it was cancelled. Wich is supposedelly the best part of the show. So apparently I witnessed the best and it still looked awfull. From the god damned visual aspect to the way they talk, to the cliched look of the main guy, it all looked completely crappy.

Fair enough, to be honest I never really watched it. :D

I caught it whenever it was on TV and then I watched the last couple episodes before it got canceled. Last episode was the best...but thats probably because of what happened.

Fair enough, to be honest I never really watched it. :D

I caught it whenever it was on TV and then I watched the last couple episodes before it got canceled. Last episode was the best...but thats probably because of what happened.

The desintegration shite? :heh:

It's impossible to judge a whole series from just a few episodes or even a couple of earlier sections because you need to get the whole feel of what's actually happening to each of the characters and why they are in each of the scenarios that present themselves.

Seriously, if you thought Bab5 was poor, you are being way too harsh because is widely regarded as a classic now! That series started with the characters being a little rough around the edges but ended up with the most likeable bunch you could wish to view.

Clearly it's a question of personal taste and it took me a while to accept the Aussy lilt to the voices in Farscape...felt like they were showing episodes of Space Neighbours...but make allowances for a few things like budget and some of the acting and accept the puppets as part of the comic interludes and it becomes fairly engrossing half way through and beyond. It's just fantasy after all, so you have to use your imagination sometimes.

It's impossible to judge a whole series from just a few episodes or even a couple of earlier sections because you need to get the whole feel of what's actually happening to each of the characters and why they are in each of the scenarios that present themselves.

Seriously, if you thought Bab5 was poor, you are being way too harsh because is widely regarded as a classic now! That series started with the characters being a little rough around the edges but ended up with the most likeable bunch you could wish to view.

Clearly it's a question of personal taste and it took me a while to accept the Aussy lilt to the voices in Farscape...felt like they were showing episodes of Space Neighbours...but make allowances for a few things like budget and some of the acting and accept the puppets as part of the comic interludes and it becomes fairly engrossing half way through and beyond. It's just fantasy after all, so you have to use your imagination sometimes.

Seriously, first and foremost, both Farscape and Babylon 5 look ridiculous, it's just like Lexx. Everything looks absolutely absurd, the creatures are completely unimaginative and surpass the level of cliché, not to mention they all follow the humanoid creature look (because the people who invented them are clealry lacking in imagination). Bearing that in mind, I saw like about 15 non-sequential episodes of Babylon 5, and everytime anyone moved or appeared, I was constantly laughing inside, it's all so fucking lame! Come people, Star Wars was made in the 70's!!! What the fuck is the matter with you guys?

Secondly, the motherfucking plots are ALL THE SAME. They're like false twins, they look different but come from the same exact place, over and over and over and over and over. Seriously, maybe it's me, maybe I'm incapable of appreciating Sci-fi, but apart from Stargate, wich doesn't look silly and seems to have a mind of it's own, plot-wise and Battlestar Galactica, wich looks awesome, even though I've never seen it, there hasn't been any series made in Sci-Fi that are actually worth any damn thing.

As for your post, more concretely, pretty much rounded up, all you said is that one must make some allowances to it's faults and use one's imagination, as it's fantasy.

WRONG!

This isn't people were dealing with, it's fiction, ok? And propper fiction provides the viewer with all the pieces correctly put in place, it needn't be excused for and accepted "as it is" (a huge lump of shit, in this case) by the viewer. Seriously, I consider myself somewhat of a knowledgeable person when it comes to fiction, and both Farscape and Bab5 walk side by side as serious conteders for "most unimaginative and un-attentionworthy series ever made"! When I think of good series, I think of Six Feet Under, I think The Wire, I think Scrubs, I think Seinfeld, I think Arrested Development, I think Curb Your Enthusiasm, I think Black Adder, I think Oz, I think Rome, I think Band Of Brothers, I think Sopranos, I think Twin Peaks, I also think you've got my point by now.

And when it comes to Sci-Fi, the only thing wich springs to mind as "good" is Stargate, even if I don't like it. My point being? Simple, of all the numbered series (except for Stargate, as I haven't watched it), despite their "budget issues" (wich are, indeed, excusable, as their brilliantness looses nothing from them) are completely flawless. In their execution, they deliver perfectly encompassed plots, brilliant narratives, innovative ideas and pristine closure.

Now, you offer me shit and ask that I excuse it from it's nauseating lack of overall quality in order to enjoy it. My only possible answer would be "fuck you". That applies to everything! If you stop being picky, shit is eatable. If you stop being picky, Rosie O'Donnell is the perfect woman, If you stop being picky, 3 Ninjas is the best film franchise ever made... Now, of course I'm exagerating here, as I'm compairing the lowest possible low with "average" lows, but I think you get my point, right?

Well, I will never stop being choosy, I have high standards, I'm an elitist, and whilst it may be okay for you to bask in averageness, I preffer to waste my time in something that's actually worth the wasting that's occuring, and not exacerbate it by wasting it on a waste.

Not really, loss would indicate that I'm loosing something, when I'm clearly not.

People who set too high a standard for entertainment levels are indeed losing out by not being able to enjoy an equivalent number of shows as a person with a lower tolerance level. If you peel too much off the onion, you'll get left with very little to enjoy. We live in an imperfect world and our differences of opinion are what make life interesting. I can't tell you you're wrong any more than you can tell me or anyone else here that they are either. When the general feeling towards something is that it's acceptable though, you may start to wonder if it isn't your own opinion which is unnecessarily being swayed by "over-fussiness" as opposed to true assessment.

Basically then, it's your loss as far as quantity of stimuli are concerned.