N-Europe

Five Things We've Learned from Gaming

darksnowman

Mario Kart is much truer to life than you realise.

In my 4th year of my degree (Chem), I do a year of research. My first choice group is in bioinorganic chemsitry. Basically, the project is working on fuel cells with enzyme catalysts, specifically laccase (involved in the oxidation of oxygen to water).

What synthesises laccase?

Mushrooms.

I rest my case.

Mario Kart is much truer to life than you realise.

In my 4th year of my degree (Chem), I do a year of research. My first choice group is in bioinorganic chemsitry. Basically, the project is working on fuel cells with enzyme catalysts, specifically laccase (involved in the oxidation of oxygen to water).

What synthesises laccase?

Mushrooms.

I rest my case.

I really wanted that to be either Stars (which I imagine may be difficult to come by) or a large bullet with a face. Oh well!

As is the case for many here I've learned English from games. Mainly due to playing a lot of point&click adventures starting back when I was around 8, and they were pretty text heavy. I would always have to ask my parents what the words meant and eventually I learned English before I even got it at school.

Same with me, I had already learned English from video games when we started having it as a subject in 4th grade (we were about 10 years old).

Thinking logically in problem solving is a skill I believe to have gained from playing video games. To an extent, anyway.

What really beats me is how games are still not taken seriously by the media world. Surely the benefits from video games, both in terms of practical and social skills (contrary to popular belief, multiplayer gaming CAN bring people together), should be apparent to people by now?

Videogames have taught me lots.

Say I'm struggling to reach that last packet of Cross & Blackwell's Stir-In Chutney Mix from the top shelf in Tesco's. I simply look for a nearby box and push it up against the shelves.

Or if I'm driving down the road and I see a car approaching in the outside lane, I will now wait until we reach a stretch of road without safety barriers before swerving into him.

Oh, I remember back in science we learned about a theory I think the ancient greeks had about how everything was made up from earth water fire and air. Good thing I was playing Tales of Phantasia around then or I probably wouldn't have remembered that.

Videogames have taught me lots.

Say I'm struggling to reach that last packet of Cross & Blackwell's Stir-In Chutney Mix from the top shelf in Tesco's. I simply look for a nearby box and push it up against the shelves.

Or if I'm driving down the road and I see a car approaching in the outside lane, I will now wait until we reach a stretch of road without safety barriers before swerving into him.

Lmao that last one due to burnout? I have learnt that no matter how good you think you are at a game, there is ALWAYS ALWAYS someone better than you out there waiting to tear you a new ahole.