NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Pete

Why I dont like the phrase 'Hardcore' gamer.

To be honnest ive only ever heard the phrase Hardcore Gamer on the internet and maybe TV, never from anyone that actually plays games.

How prevlent the idea of the 'hardcore' outside the media I have no idea but Im not too keen on it as it seems to spring up the image that if your seriously into your games you are 360 owner playing 3rd person shooters -on line - every night.

Now this isnt the most important issure in the world but ive been playing games for years.

Ive gone long periods when I have not been games, times when I have played on a very casually level (if you will) (a little 2 player on something like crash team racing, a few rounds on fighting game before a TV show I like comes on) and times when they have been a serious source of entertainment for me.

Over the last 3 or so years games ive discovered games like smash brothers Melle, Metroid prime and Soul calibur 2 on the Cube, Fifa 07 GTA san andreas on the PS2 the DS and all its class games and now the excellent Wii.

As ever I play lots of different games in lots of different ways BUT at the end of the all the games (and all games in general - on all platforms) come down to being presented a chanenge playing to beat that and getting a reward - from a high score to a new level. I dont think playing Wii for example makes you any 'less' of a game player. As a bit of a seasoned game player I guess I find the phrase hardcore gamer a little dumb.

So what do you all think?

I'd describe myself as an avid gamer. They actually brought it up in my interview for Square. They asked me why I said 'avid', I told them I hated the word hardcore.

I'd describe myself as an avid gamer. They actually brought it up in my interview for Square. They asked me why I said 'avid', I told them I hated the word hardcore.

You know I like that :). Yeah ide say im an avid gamer too :D

To be honnest ive only ever heard the phrase Hardcore Gamer on the internet and maybe TV, never from anyone that actually plays games.

How prevlent the idea of the 'hardcore' outside the media I have no idea but Im not too keen on it as it seems to spring up the image that if your seriously into your games you are 360 owner playing 3rd person shooters -on line - every night.

Now this isnt the most important issure in the world but ive been playing games for years.

Ive gone long periods when I have not been games, times when I have played on a very casually level (if you will) (a little 2 player on something like crash team racing, a few rounds on fighting game before a TV show I like comes on) and times when they have been a serious source of entertainment for me.

Over the last 3 or so years games ive discovered games like smash brothers Melle, Metroid prime and Soul calibur 2 on the Cube, Fifa 07 GTA san andreas on the PS2 the DS and all its class games and now the excellent Wii.

As ever I play lots of different games in lots of different ways BUT at the end of the all the games (and all games in general - on all platforms) come down to being presented a chanenge playing to beat that and getting a reward - from a high score to a new level. I dont think playing Wii for example makes you any 'less' of a game player. As a bit of a seasoned game player I guess I find the phrase hardcore gamer a little dumb.

So what do you all think?

Anyone who plays fifa instead of pro is not a hardcore gamer IMO :heh:

I don't like the pharse either really. :heh::)

Time for a little editing.

I think your confusing hardcore gamers and fadders. Fadders are people who play whatever is popular at the time rather than playing games that are good. Usually fadders consider themselves to be hardcore gamers and consider real hardcore gamers to not be true gamers. Fadders are very ignorant.

I think your confusing hardcore gamers and fadders. Fadders are people who play whatever is popular at the time rather than playing games that are good. Usually fadders consider themselves to be hardcore gamers and consider real hardcore gamers to not be true gamers. Fadders are very ignorant.

So what's a hardcore gamer then?

I think theres a lot of truth in that, good one, educational lol.

Anyone who plays fifa instead of pro is not a hardcore gamer IMO :heh:

Oh dear... lol (but I may well get pro evo for my Wii )(now thats meant to be a tough game) ;) .

Yes, I would agree that you're describing fadders. I'd also say the hardcore gamer tag is used frequently among the higher level gaming community and amongst the group.

Hardcore gamers will:

-Probably spend more time talking about games than actually playing them

-As per the article, they will keep as up to date on news as possible.

-Buy A+ games day one

-Have a large collection, usually picking up even okish to good games at the right price

-Usually a hardcore gamer will own as many consoles as he can afford, as well as a competent PC.

So what's a hardcore gamer then?

A person who likes to game, plays regularly, keeps up to date with gaming news and has a well made opinion of what makes a game good, kinda like a Cinemaphile. IMHO.

and has a well made opinion of what makes a game good,

Unless their opinion of what makes games good is: violence, cars, graphics, or a certain name.

You know I like that :). Yeah ide say im an avid gamer too :D

Haha! Hardcore is such a dirty word. :heh:

I play what I find fun, as soon as a game gets a bit dull I'll usually drop it (unless I'm being payed to play it :( ). I play games because they compliment my everyday life. I don't go usually out of my way to play them and they are relatively low on my priority of things to do.

What the fuck does hardcore gamer even mean? Does it mean someone who knows how many frames there are in Ken's shoryuken in SF3? Does it mean someone who has every new system on the market? Either way, being hardcore doesn't mean you get any more out of a game than anyone else, or that you have some sort of deeper understanding of what a particular game is about, it just means that you're a database for pointless facts. I play an assload of games, but I try not to involve myself with the banalities associated with being hardcore...

I'm a cool gamer.

Cool people don't actually call themselves cool :indeed:

Cool people don't actually call themselves cool :indeed:

Damn, so the t-shirt my mum bought me saying "Je suis cool" is a lie! :(

:p

Great Article, from that it seems ide be quite a bit of a Hybrid very much a multiplayer maddie and a little bit 'hardcore' - im allways sufing the net and getting the odd magazine for game news and I do play to be the best I can at games but its more with maybe mario kart DS (just stuff like learning course shortcuts and when best to use the power ups ;) ) and Fighting games but its just about learning to play the best I can, I mainly play for fun with my borther and his grilfriend (with her on mario kart not the fighting games) but im not gutted if I lose its about playing and playing well :)

the difference between me and hardcore gamers, is that I don't call myself one, because i'm not a massive bellend.

I hate the terms "waggle", "hardcore gamer", "AAA" and some others. Not the terms themselves but how they're used and their importance, its like the group of avid gamers is trying to distanciate themselves from others creating a nazi-like group.

I'm not any type of gamer. I play whatever game takes my fancy. At the moment I'm playing a a lot of Halo 3 and GTA IV. Other times I'll play a lot of Mario Kart or Mario & Sonic with my wee sister.

I hate all these labels, just because I like playing games like GTA and Halo doesn't mean I'm a "fadder", I don't play them because they're popular, I play them because they're great games. I would much rather sit down and play Halo than wobble about on the Balance Board.

the difference between me and hardcore gamers, is that I don't call myself one, because i'm not a massive bellend.

Yep you'd have to be a bellend to call your self that, lol.

I hate the terms "waggle", "hardcore gamer", "AAA" and some others. Not the terms themselves but how they're used and their importance, its like the group of avid gamers is trying to distanciate themselves from others creating a nazi-like group.

Ive never heard waggle before, unless you mean like waggling a joystick.

I'm not any type of gamer. I play whatever game takes my fancy. At the moment I'm playing a a lot of Halo 3 and GTA IV. Other times I'll play a lot of Mario Kart or Mario & Sonic with my wee sister.

I hate all these labels, just because I like playing games like GTA and Halo doesn't mean I'm a "fadder", I don't play them because they're popular, I play them because they're great games. I would much rather sit down and play Halo than wobble about on the Balance Board.

Im not a balance board person either, plus ide proberbly fall off, lol ;). Anyways fair point mate.

Like many other genuine followers, the ones that label themselves aren't the ones that truly are.

Sign in to follow this