NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Pete

Why I dont like the phrase 'Hardcore' gamer.

I consider my self a hardcore gamer simply because I'm not a casual either.

"Hardcore gamer" is merely a label, and it clearly has different connotations among different groups, many of which are negative, so perhaps it's not the ideal term for self description, or indeed description of any kind.

I make a distinction between people who mess around with games, and those who play them seriously. The former type of person tends to fiddle about with a game for a while and then tire and move on; the latter type is more likely to go on to try everything possible in the game, and if not 100% complete it then at least play through the majority. Like all such dichotomies, this is somewhat false, as there'll always be people in limbo between the two states (myself included, these days), but I find it a useful mental guideline. The is no disgrace in being a casual type, it just means you appreciate games differently... what I'm not keen on, however, is the recent sparsity of games pandering to the, for want of a better term, "hardcore" type - it's a sad fact that such games are getting less and less likely to be worth the commercial venture.

Oh well, I guess I'll stick to playing go.

Sign in to follow this