Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Need some help/ advice on maths...

The Lillster

Basicly I want to start a new College Course in September, but if I want to get on to the course I will need to brush-up on my Maths skills.

At the moment my Maths is very weak (i'm talking G in GCSE kind of levels). So i've decided to do a course at one of the Learn Direct centres.

I would, however, be really grateful if any of you folks could direct me to the attention of any good basic maths skills websites + any other useful advice that might help me in the long run?

Thanks.

I know it sounds daft but try the cbbc gcse maths bit. I used it for my gcse's (I had a similar problem to yourself was getting E's and need a C) and it helped quite alot, specially for like agelbra and basic maths.

Thanks, but is that for GCSE maths, because i'm not at GCSE level atm?

Edit: Yes it is, but I'll try it out anyway.

If there are any more websites, please list them.

A post I made ages ago in the homework help thread explaining how to rearrange equations:

NB. In all examples, I'm rearranging to give y in terms of x i.e. "x=..."

Basically, you always have to do the same action to each side of the equation, so it's still equal. Its hard to explain this generally, so for instance with adding and subtracting:

x+3 = y+7 so subtract 3 from both sides:

x+3-3 = y+7-3

x = y+4

or

x-4 = y-2 so add 4 to both sides

x-4+4 = y-2+4

x = y+2

With multiples:

3x = 9y so divide both sides by 3

(3x)/3 = (9y)/3

x = 3y

With fractions:

x/4 = 2y so multiply both sides by 4

(x/4)*4 = 2y*4

x = 8y

You may have to carry out several of these processes one after the other:

eg. (4+3x)/7 = y

4+3x = 7y (multiply both sides by 7)

3x = 7y-4 (subtract 4 from both sides)

x= (7y-4)/3 (divide both sides by 3)

Thanks for the websites guys, but i'm mainly looking for a site which will list simple maths questions like Adding, Subtracting, Dividing and Times tables.

You see I need to practice the very basics first.

So if anyone knows a website where basicly I can print off some random basic maths questions like the ones I mentioned above, that would be great.

Cheers.