NEurope
Strider

Coinage of the United Kingdom

Your euros look funny.

Edit: I love how my most idiotic posts always get top of the page.

Your euros look funny.

Edit: I love how my most idiotic posts always get top of the page.

You have the best avatar mankind has ever produced.

Why doesn't the UK switch to the euro instead? Do you islanders not feel part of Europe enough?

Why doesn't the UK switch to the euro instead? Do you islanders not feel part of Europe enough?

We don't want to. Our economy has actually done better since the euro was introduced.

While they're at it bring in 9p coin. Instead of fondling around with 5p then coppers, or giving a pound and getting a penny return, bring in the 9p coin. All companies seem to want to put 99p on the end to make it look less than just adding that extra penny on it.

I thought they put 9p at the end of everything to stop staff at the till from giving you the item and taking your money. It means they have to open the till.

I have no idea why it's like that in online shops though.

We don't want to. Our economy has actually done better since the euro was introduced.

This is basically the first step for your Eurozation. Detachment from the biggest national symbol with a new face and smaller quantitative values more in line with the euro coins.

They look kickass. Different from most coins which is nice. No reason everything should be boring. I suppose the other side is the queens head as usual.

I think they should have Arnie's head. "In Choppa We Trust"

Or The Hoff.

Or Shaft.

This is basically the first step for your Eurozation. Detachment from the biggest national symbol with a new face and smaller quantitative values more in line with the euro coins.

The denominations haven't changed, only the patterns.

They're not going to change the 2 pound coin yet, but it's still legal tender.

They haven't changed any value. They have just changed the designs which happens all of the time. The only thing that's new (or as far as I know) is that this is the first time that they all match up (all different parts of one picture).

I don't think we will go to the Euro. Not in the forseeable future anyway.

Moogle has it right, our currency is amongst the strongest in the world :) It would devalue and we would lose out by changing.

We havent had a recesion in years, and my theory is we wont have one for a long time now because of americas stock exchange crash :)

Its weakened some countries, which has out us off. Germany is an example.

The denominations haven't changed, only the patterns.

They're not going to change the 2 pound coin yet, but it's still legal tender.

Its all going to be legal tender for many years to come.

Read the mint page.

I'd say the new shapes of the £20 note and the recent pound coins with bridges on were subtle ways of aligning with the euro-feel. We were supposed to have a referendum on the topic "in the next 4 years" two years ago, but Blair left and now Brown says he's having none of it. Considering this is the first time in 40 years we've changed the look of our currency to such a scale, it might be a while.

That website was interesting; the 1/2 penny coin was only removed in 1984. *hums to himself over such trinkets of info*

I'm just fucking around, I know youz loves your coins.

I'd say the new shapes of the £20 note and the recent pound coins with bridges on were subtle ways of aligning with the euro-feel.

I noticed that to.

I'd say the new shapes of the £20 note and the recent pound coins with bridges on were subtle ways of aligning with the euro-feel. We were supposed to have a referendum on the topic "in the next 4 years" two years ago, but Blair left and now Brown says he's having none of it. Considering this is the first time in 40 years we've changed the look of our currency to such a scale, it might be a while.

That website was interesting; the 1/2 penny coin was only removed in 1984. *hums to himself over such trinkets of info*

I see no real reason to change, our currency is solid and is stronger than most countries :)

Evrytime I here "legal tender" I think of the Frankie Boyle joke about the Scottish Pound.

[scottish accent]"Actually, that's legal tender."[/scottish accent]

Evrytime I here "legal tender" I think of the Frankie Boyle joke about the Scottish Pound.

[scottish accent]"Actually, that's legal tender."[/scottish accent]

Me too XD

I keep hearing his voice in my head "Actually, thats legal tender!".

EDIT: should read entire post before quoting lol

Read the mint page.

I know, all the old designs will be viable for a while yet.

I see no real reason to change, our currency is solid and is stronger than most countries :)

Tis true; but with the expansion of the EU, eventually those countries will attempt to align their fiscal policies to be considered eligible for the Euro - and then the lack of currency exchanging will mean more demand for the Euro from our own country, let alone others importing from the eastern bloc.

You can blame Germany for us not being in the euro, circa 92 (i think) they fucked us all over with "black monday" (i think, again. It's been 2 years since I was taught about it).

I know, all the old designs will be viable for a while yet.

What will happen to the current coin designs?

The current coin designs will remain in circulation and as legal tender for the foreseeable future. They will continue to circulate alongside the new coins.

http://www.royalmint.com/newdesigns/fotnFAQS.aspx

Dunno how long the forseeable future is, but im assuming it will be decades.

Tis true; but with the expansion of the EU, eventually those countries will attempt to align their fiscal policies to be considered eligible for the Euro - and then the lack of currency exchanging will mean more demand for the Euro from our own country, let alone others importing from the eastern bloc.

You can blame Germany for us not being in the euro, circa 92 (i think) they fucked us all over with "black monday" (i think, again. It's been 2 years since I was taught about it).

I cant really commenton the Germany thing, dont know much about it.

I know the EU will eventually preasure us into changing though. Probobly a long way off though..Hopefully...

Being semi-Scottish I was counting up all of my coppers the other day and I found a 1p coin from the 60's, so decades'd be a safe assumption.

Being semi-Scottish I was counting up all of my coppers the other day and I found a 1p coin from the 60's, so decades'd be a safe assumption.

I think forseeable usually means after our lifetimes. Dont quote me on that though :p

I know someone will now lol

Personally I think we should keep the pound. I think we will be better off. Besides why can't we have our own identity anymore?

Explain please.