Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

American patriotism

navarre

Agreed :) , on forms when choosing a nationality, you can put irish or scottish, yet when I have to put mine down I have to put Bristish..why can't I put english?

I'm part Scottish, part Les Anglais, so I just put Brit, but I would prefer an "English" option, as I, if asked by Jonny Foreigner, would say I was from England/was English.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What gets me is the recent motion in Parliament to make children swear allegiance to Britain. While I think this is misguided, I also feel that the reactions of the Welsh, Northern Irish and Scottish which was a generally unified "Fuck You" was a little offensive.

What gets me is the recent motion in Parliament to make children swear allegiance to Britain. While I think this is misguided, I also feel that the reactions of the Welsh, Northern Irish and Scottish which was a generally unified "Fuck You" was a little offensive.

I really don't see why the Welsh and Scottish hate their own nation so much. Think about it- England, the only country in Britain without its own sole government, and we don't complain.

I suppose it's a feeling of disenfranchisement due to the fact that they are inextricably linked to the fate of England and will be perceived as "British" even if in their hearts they are "Welsh" or "Scottish".

I guess what gets to me is the media with things like sport and entertainment news - Andy Murray is constantly referred to as "The Scot", yet Henman was rarely "The Englishman". It's as if to remain politically correct we have to be stripped of our nationality and others use "English" as a derogatory term.

I suppose it's a feeling of disenfranchisement due to the fact that they are inextricably linked to the fate of England and will be perceived as "British" even if in their hearts they are "Welsh" or "Scottish".

I guess what gets to me is the media with things like sport and entertainment news - Andy Murray is constantly referred to as "The Scot", yet Henman was rarely "The Englishman". It's as if to remain politically correct we have to be stripped of our nationality and others use "English" as a derogatory term.

He's only referred to as a Scot when he loses, he'll always be British when he does well.

I'm actually happy for him to be called British though as it would be really hypocritical of me not to after calling Henman British for all these years.

He's only referred to as a Scot when he loses, he'll always be British when he does well.

I'm actually happy for him to be called British though as it would be really hypocritical of me not to after calling Henman British for all these years.

I usually see it as the other way around.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!