N-Europe

The Official MGS4 Thread.

Caris

Guest Jordan

Its a chalk and cheese thing.

Metal gear has always been a conveluted mess... Still, seperate installs per chapter? Snake's leaving sucks? Hm. We shall see.

Tbh, i don't trust any site but Gametrailers these days. They usually seem pretty on the ball with review scores.

I wait to see what Gamespot say.

I don't think the Eurogamer review is bad, in fact its pretty much reads how I expected it to read, but like I said its a weird (actually I think its a pretty poor) review. It seems really general and again, no mention at all of MGO.

You're sorry to see Snake go. But should you be? Guns of the Patriots is a frustrating, fractured game that turns Metal Gear Solid's world upside down several times over, but never changes it. It just burrows deeper into what fans love and detractors hate than ever before, and it will make few converts. It's a crying shame, given how many genuinely classic gaming moments there are here, given the countless exquisite creative touches, but Metal Gear Solid 4 is its own worst enemy. You could not ask for a funnier, cleverer, more ambitious or inspired or over-the-top conclusion to the Metal Gear Solid series, but it's definitely time to move on.

Yeah I agree Jordan, it probably is a chalk and cheese thing. Metal Gear is a bit like marmite. The game will very most likely be marked down for its long cutscenes and complex plot, but these are two things i'd be dissapointed if it didn't have. MGS2 was marked down for introducing Raiden and being the first post-modern game, this was what made it the best game of all time for me.

IGN gave Subsistence 9.8, and I think that was the only worthy review score for that game. I reckon IGN will most likely have hit the nail on the head, but we'll see.

Wow, 8/10?

The rest of the reviews have praised the game so much, saying it's the best game this gen and some saying in the past 10 year...

Eurogamer gave GRID 9/10

lol

But on a serious note they are standing on their own. Gamesmaster just gave it a 97.

Not surprised really, Metal Gear Online beta was amazing. That got me more hyped than anything.

While reporting MTV Multiplayer’s week-long series about game reviews I’ve heard from members of the gaming press about restrictions publishers place on game reviews. I’m familiar with some of these. It’s common for a publisher to specify plot details that they don’t want revealed in reviews.

What I heard about print reviews for “Metal Gear Solid 4” was different.

I’ve been told by two gaming media sources who asked to remain anonymous that Konami representatives had been asking print reviewers to keep some technical details out of their reviews, namely the length of the game’s cut-scenes and the size of the game’s installation on the PlayStation 3.

Such details wouldn’t have been plot spoilers, but perhaps the publisher was concerned that they would be viewed as negatives?

Konami representatives declined to comment to me about any of this, as did editors of a few major video game magazines.

A couple of weeks ago, gaming blog Kotaku posted back-to-back links about the two supposedly off-limits topics. The size of the game’s installation was spotted on the “MGS4″ box. The other was a disputed report about the length of the cut-scenes.

So that technical information — accurate or not, I don’t know — is getting out there. And that information about the game has been acknowledged by Eurogamer, which ran an “MGS4″ review that mentions both things.

Whether Konami really has put these limits on reviewers and if such limits are tolerable to game reviewers is something I can’t answer. It’s something worth keeping an eye on as print reviews of “MGS4″ start trickling out.

MGS4 Soundtrack - Old Snake

MGS4 Soundtrack - Love Theme

MGS4 Soundtrack - BB Corps

MGS4 Soundtrack - Laughing Octopus

MGS4 Soundtrack - Paradise Lost

MGS4 Soundtrack - Desperate Chase

MGS4 Soundtrack - Raging Raven

MGS4 Soundtrack - Mobs Alive

MGS4 Soundtrack - Violent Cease Fire

MGS4 Soundtrack - Atonement

MGS4 Soundtrack - Guns Of The Patriots

MGS4 Soundtrack - Sorrow

MGS4 Soundtrack - Full Circle

MGS4 Soundtrack - Everything Begins

MGS4 Soundtrack - Father & Son

MGS4 Soundtrack - Metal Gear Saga

MGS4 Soundtrack - Here to you

MGS4 Soundtrack - Unmanned Army

MGS4 Soundtrack - For Liberty

IMG_1107.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

Also, i don't get how 6 notes is plagiarism...

MGS2 and 3 had such awesome main scores... how is a remix or the love theme supposed to replace a totally new one? Epic bs...

Someone on the Internet discovered a song by Classical Russian composer Georgy Vasilevich Sviridov, named

Eventually, a video emerged of a group of people showing the song to Hideo, with Hideo giving a very surprised reaction See Here.

The motif was removed from the Snake Eater Version of the theme on the Metal Gear 20th Anniversary Music Collection (it was replaced with "The World Needs Only One Big Boss!" from Metal Gear Solid 2).

The First Motif was removed from the Portable Ops Main theme. The original, with the Motif, appeared in an E3 Trailer, and the version with no Motif played after Calling To The Night during the games ending credits, and appears on the Portable Ops OST as the track "Show Time".

Code extracted from Super Smash Bros. Brawl showed that this theme was originally supposed to be among the My Music tracks, but was later removed, possibly as a result of the aforementioned controversy.

After the controversy involving Sviridov's piece, the First Motif was retired. The Second Theme was later adopted in it's place and appeared in Guns Of The Patriots entitled Metal Gear Saga.

EDGE gave this an 8/10 too.

MGS4 is not the game it could have been; nor is it the game it would have been had the series grown with the benefit of hindsight; not is it the game it should have been if you believed that early trailer.

EDGE gave this an 8/10 too.

MGS4 is not the game it could have been; nor is it the game it would have been had the series grown with the benefit of hindsight; not is it the game it should have been if you believed that early trailer.

We kind of knew all these, especially the last one since they downgraded the textures.

Whats the disk that comes free when you preorder from game? I did and remember reading something came with it exclusive.

Making of Blu-Ray and the soundtrack I think.

MGS4 better gotta be amazing...it will be the very first MGS and stealth game I will have ever played

I would advise you play the others quickly.

With this whole plagiarism thing, does it involve the MGS2 theme or the Snake Eater theme, and didn't that Harry Gregson-Williams fella write them?

I would advise you play the others quickly.

With this whole plagiarism thing, does it involve the MGS2 theme or the Snake Eater theme, and didn't that Harry Gregson-Williams fella write them?

I wish I could but dude...

I CANT PLAY OLD GENERATION GAMES

(wikipedia is tha man :p)

lol u guys really want to make my wallet empty XD

I will think about it :$

I bought the first 3 off eBay for a total of £20. (MGS2 was about £2.50 :p )

If you can borrow someone's PS2 it shouldn't cost too much and it is definitely worth it.