NEurope
Caris

The Official MGS4 Thread.

MGS4 EDGE details

A 'virtual range' will be included from the main menu. Here you can test the huge amount of weapons in MGS4 as well as the various advanced CQC techniques in the game.

The game will feature various details to play around with such as highly detailed and fashionable consumer gadgets. PsP (?) sunny does...

MGS4 has been 4 years in development.

There will be one hell of a big bang of a final to the game. Not a whimper. This will blow you away.

Snake is a slave to injections that keep him alive.

The sneaking play of the originals with it's air ducts and cameras has now become a fast pace living battlefield of traps and innovations.

The control system is 'revised and improved'

The Gekkou (the mechs with organic legs that make mooing sounds) will work in packs to hunt you down. They can sense past your optic camo if they think something is amiss.

Snake will have two new energy bars that makes Snakes advanced age impossible to ignore:

Stress: This rises in response to fight conditions. This can work with him, giving him hightened senses such as accuracy and sustained damage being halved. But if in this condition for too long, snake will crash causing him to become exposed to his illness. a drag on a cig will help him calm down however.

Psyche: This affects your general state of mind in the field.The balancing of these two bars will affect your progress.

You can use a camera to sneak away from your mission objectives and record incidents happening on the battlefield in secret. Some can be 'unpredictable and dangerous' There is something special about the camera this time around but EDGE were not allowed to say what.

There is a "surprising degree of explorative freedom" in the game. You can choose to engage in battles if you wish, or just ignore them. Friends and enemies can be gain this way if you do choose to help one side out.

Productions values transcend modern video games: A Hollywood grade surround sound and moving track score by Harry Gregson Williams. Electrifying cut scenes and a sense of closure "more suited to Return of the King than Halo 3".

There is so much tucked away in the game that some things won't be discovered until months or even years after your first play.

Kojima says: As for future MGS I would love to produce rather than direct. But as far as Snake is concerned, this is it. It's over".

:'( < tear for snake

And yum yum for this game ^_^ I'm excited.

Need to play MGS3 before getting this, just rebought/played the first two and watched a speedrun of the MSX version on Youtube.

I would have pre-ordered MGS4 Limited Edition in gamestop today if the Blu-Ray disk is region free:(

Good news!

Konami has told Eurogamer that it will be announcing its European Metal Gear Online beta plans "shortly".

Its comments follow (at a safe and undetectable distance) word earlier that sign-ups to the MGO beta in Japan appear to be inaccessible to those of us with Western-originating IP addresses.

The full game is due out around the world alongside Metal Gear Solid 4 on 12th June, so Konami had better get its skates on.

METAL GEAR SOLID® 4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS US STANDARD AND US LIMITED EDITIONS

Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc. announced today that the limited edition of the highly-anticipated release of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system will be available in North America on June 12 exclusively at GameStop, the world's largest video game and entertainment software retailer. Additionally, Konami has revealed pricing and the first images of the final packaging for both the Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Standard Edition and Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Limited Edition.

US Standard Edition

mgs4_ps3_bundle00.jpg

US Limited Edition

mgs4_ltd_art.jpg

Really really good box art there. Love it. PAL box art better be as good....

'Gamers can also get access to the Metal Gear Online beta through the previously announced Metal Gear Saga preorder bonus program at participating retailers. The beta period runs from April 21 through May 5, but gamers will be able to download the program to their systems starting April 17.'

- from Gamespot

So I'm assuming the beta test is only for the US and Japan? Because I haven't heard anything about this yet in the UK.

Oh and his nose shrinks when you view it full size :)

So I'm assuming the beta test is only for the US and Japan? Because I haven't heard anything about this yet in the UK.

Listen to the HoTness:

Good news!
Konami has told Eurogamer that it will be announcing its European Metal Gear Online beta plans "shortly".

Its comments follow (at a safe and undetectable distance) word earlier that sign-ups to the MGO beta in Japan appear to be inaccessible to those of us with Western-originating IP addresses.

The full game is due out around the world alongside Metal Gear Solid 4 on 12th June, so Konami had better get its skates on.

Awesome! :)

Amazing news! -

Yesterday, Sony Japan issued a release saying that the new and improved PlayStation Store would be coming April 15. It was assumed by many--but not officially confirmed at the time--that this was going to be a global launch, due to the nature and history of the store.

To remove any doubt, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has now confirmed that the "enhanced" PlayStation Store will indeed be coming on April 15.

It also had more good news for Europeans--on April 17, the first content update for two weeks will include the launch of Metal Gear Online Premiere Beta. The beta had already been confirmed for Japan, but those outside of the country had been left hanging.

The online beta will be running from April 21 to May 6, as an online multiplayer companion to Konami's highly anticipated Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, which is due for release on June 12.

Two maps will be available for testers to explore: Blood Bath, and Groznyi Grad, each of which "requires unique strategies" for success. Up to 16 gamers are able to play together in each.

The full Metal Gear Online will be launched in the UK in June "as a starter pack" and will have five unique stages--three of which are not included in the beta--Ambush Alley, Urban Ultimatum, and Midtown Maelstrom.

In Ambush Alley, trenches and sandbags have been placed in an arena built for short- to medium-range combat, whereas Blood Bath will be a two-tier battle. Groznyi Grad will take place in the expansive Shagohod development complex that was in Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, where players can employ catapults to propel themselves to different parts of the environment. Midtown Maelstrom is set in some Middle Eastern alleyways that will feature in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, while Urban Ultimatum will take place on the rooftops.

There will be five different game modes: Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture, Base, and Sneaking missions.

Also included in the April 17 PlayStation Network update will be Warhawk: Operation Broken Mirror, and two sets of downloadable content for Lair: the Diabolical Dragons pack, and Skyguard Upgrade pack. The latest Grand Theft Auto IV trailer will also be available, along with "a collection" of other trailers, and a Sega Superstars Tennis demo.

So I'm assuming we don't need to preorder to get the beta then?

Heres what us Euro peeps have been waiting for...

Konami has said the European Metal Gear Online beta will run from 21st April to 6th June.

The client will be available to download from 17th April, as Sony told us earlier.

Two of the five maps from the full game will be available to mess around on: Blood Bath and Groznyi Grad.

The former is two-tiered scenario, while the latter is that big (and fantastically named) Shagohod complex from MGS3 that has human catapults to throw you around.

The other three joining these at launch are Ambush Alley with its trenches and sandbags; Midtown Maelstrom with its Middle Eastern alleyways; and Urban Ultimatum with its rooftops.

Metal Gear Online will be released alongside Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots on 12th June around the world.

It lets 16 of you fire bullets at each other online, in the hope that one will penetrate and cause massive internal bleeding and lead to death. And then respawn.

So anyone can download it? Sweet.

Well in the US they're getting codes when they pre-order, but I can't find anything saying something similar for europe, so we don't know yet, but it seems that way.

Well in the US they're getting codes when they pre-order, but I can't find anything saying something similar for europe, so we don't know yet, but it seems that way.

All you need to do is to go the PSN store and download it and away we go!

*gets box ready for sneak attack*

Even though I don't even have a PS3 the hype surrounding this game compelled me to play Metal Gear Solid 2 again on Hard.

I think the awesomeness of this game can be summed up in this quote:

"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!" - You're so crazy Colonel... Or should I say GW!

I think I'll start playing The Twin Snakes at some point soon, then Snake Eater inevitably.

Consider yourself added if you've been posting on this thread (and also have your PSN ID on the Gamertag thread) in preperation for the 17th :D

Awesome news about the beta and even better news that its a completely open beta....gimme something to do in the days approaching GTA IV

I cant post a link as im on the PS3 but head over to Kotaku for a possible MGS4 headset.

*Drools*