Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Formula 1 2008

MadDog

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumour mill: Santander move suggests Alonso at Ferrari in 2010?

Santander poised for Ferrari switch

Spanish banking giant Santander is set to become a Ferrari sponsor in 2010, high level sources have told autosport.com.

In a move that would heighten speculation former world champion Fernando Alonso is on his way to the Maranello outfit, Santander is poised to switch teams after its current exclusive arrangement with McLaren comes to an end.

The company originally joined the Woking-based team at the start of 2007 as it intended to make the most of the team's capture of Alonso.

However, the former world champion had a troubled time at McLaren and quit them to join Renault for this season. The Spaniard and his team are sponsored by Dutch banking group ING.

Alonso is believed to be holding out for a Ferrari deal, and has been tipped as favourite to join the Italian squad in the near future.

However, news of the Santander move in 2010 will only increase suggestions that a deal is in the offing with the Spaniard. Santander would be unlikely to commit to the team without some hint about Alonso's future plans.

A Santander spokeswoman refused to comment on the speculation, but made it clear on Friday the company was committed with McLaren until the end of next year.

"We are not making any comments about this," she told autosport.com when asked about the Ferrari deal. "We have a contract with Vodafone McLaren Mercedes until the end of 2009."

Despite Santander's planned future switch to Ferrari, there is a chance that the company could also opt to maintain some link with McLaren from 2010.

Although McLaren lost Alonso, Santander has benefited greatly, especially in the United Kingdom, through its association with Lewis Hamilton. This has been bolstered by the company's title sponsorship of the British Grand Prix.

Yeah I read that too, though I read it was from 2009! There's reportedly ALOT of money envolved aswell!

It's important to remember this is just a RUMOUR, and there are ALWAYS Alonso rumours, many of which he seems happy to stir up!

Regarding Kimi's and Massa's contracts, I also read apparently:

Kimi has a 2009 RACE seat contract,

Massa has a 2010 DRIVERS seat contract, meaning he could be substituted to test driver, should Ferrari want Alonso.

More on it...

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/080709105737.shtml

Major McLaren sponsor Santander, a Spanish bank, is to switch allegiances to Ferrari for 2009 and beyond, according to reports.

German magazine Sport Bild claims that the deal is worth up to 25 million Euros per season, and could involve the driving services of former champion Fernando Alonso.

Santander began sponsoring McLaren last year, coinciding with 26-year-old Alonso's multi-season contract to race with the Mercedes-powered outfit.

His relationship with the team famously turned sour, however, and it now emerges that Santander wants to follow suit and depart.

Sport Bild says the Santander-Ferrari-Alonso deal involves lettering on the drivers' overalls as well as front and rear wing signage, and a 30 million Euros per year contribution to Alonso's retainer.

Alonso said at Silverstone that he is waiting until as late as September before determining the identity of his team for 2009.

Fascinatingly, Ferrari - albeit with both current drivers already under contract - often announces its next driver line-up at Monza, which this year takes place on September 14th.

Santander boss Emilio Botin was at Silverstone for last weekend's British Grand Prix.

The Spanish newspaper Diario AS speculates that Alonso's team-mate at Ferrari next year would be Kimi Raikkonen, following Felipe Massa's disastrous showing at Silverstone last weekend.

"I don't know if the rumours are true," Ferrari test driver Marc Gene told sport.es, "but I don't see there would be a problem having Kimi with Alonso, or Felipe with Alonso, or staying with what we have now."

So who would McLaren have then?
Sponsor wise? Vodafone.

But there's a rumour they're not happy either!

I really like Rosberg, and his attitude has always impressed me, [backed up by what he's just said]:

The German, though, added that he would not even consider a move to another team unless he got the okay from team boss Frank Williams.

"I would only think about it if Frank agreed to release me," he said.

However...

McLaren rubbish Rosberg reports

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_3830916,00.html

But he's worthy of a great drive one day!

I kinda think McLaren has made a HUGE mstake signing up with Kovalainen... Because of him they'll lose the constructors championship AND he doesn't get an awful lot of points...

Hamilton FTW!!! Absolutely stunning last race (in France was it??), I lol'd quite a few times when Massa made a spin like 5 times or so...

I think Kubica is going to Mclaren next year, he has improved A LOT and is getting quite a lot of points for BMW, even though they a weaker engine then Ferrari and McL, pure drivemanship!!

grtz

I think Rosberg is overhyped and gets half his fame from his dad. Half of the F1 drivers out there are better than him, no way McLaren would sign him.

Alonso might not like his position in the championship at the moment, but at Renault he does have a team that will do anything for him. He's now in roughly the same situation as he was in 2004 with Renault, scoring points nearly every race, with the occasional podium. We all know what happened the year after that - and Alonso knows too. I think he might give Renault another shot next year.

I kinda think McLaren has made a HUGE mstake signing up with Kovalainen... Because of him they'll lose the constructors championship AND he doesn't get an awful lot of points...

Hamilton FTW!!! Absolutely stunning last race (in France was it??), I lol'd quite a few times when Massa made a spin like 5 times or so...

I think Kubica is going to Mclaren next year, he has improved A LOT and is getting quite a lot of points for BMW, even though they a weaker engine then Ferrari and McL, pure drivemanship!!

grtz

Last race was Silverstone!

Kovaleinen definately has great potential, but he does need to improve. After grabbing pole at Silverstone, he then fell away in the race.

However, he's bound to find some difficulties in his first year after changing teams as he'll need to bring the car around to his way of driving. He's also been very unlucky in terms of reliability remember, so it's not all down to him where he's standing in the points.

I can't see McLaren getting rid of Heikki next year, and in fact I think most drivers will wait to see the how their 2009 cars go [with the new rules potentially levelling the field somewhat], before deciding on their futures.

I think Alonso will stay at Renault too, the way everything is stacking up he has nowhere better to go anyway. I think we'll see some really big moves across the teams in 2010, as old, young and all new blood comes, goes and gets shifted about. Heikki's got next year, but only next year to start punching big (as he really should be now) and I'll be surprised if both Honda and Toyota aren't already eyeing up Nakajima.

Watching Live Practice atm, think it must have been raining most of the morning as 1hr in there hasn't really been any times set.

Anyone know/remember the reason why they took the 'forest run' away from Hockenheim? It's SUCH a shame, I still really miss it!

So annoying just watching them drive past it!

Watching Live Practice atm, think it must have been raining most of the morning as 1hr in there hasn't really been any times set.

Anyone know/remember the reason why they took the 'forest run' away from Hockenheim? It's SUCH a shame, I still really miss it!

So annoying just watching them drive past it!

I do have vague memories of the forest section of the track, wasn't there a huge pile up there involving most of the drivers once or am I thinking of something else?

EDIT: Oh, I'm thinking of Spa. My bad.

I do have vague memories of the forest section of the track, wasn't there a huge pile up there involving most of the drivers once or am I thinking of something else?
Your probably thinking of Spa:

haha, never gets old!

I can't remember an incident happening through the trees, it was a simple bit of track really:

Well that was just a superb second half after Glock's suspension failure. Lewis had to pull a big drive when McLaren's strategy went slightly awry but pulled a couple of superb overtakes to take it. Excellent result for Piquet too. Better from Kovi as well I thought, more attack in his drive. Still a bit to go, but better.

Whilst the overtakes were almost inevitable, I REALLY didn't understand Massa and Piquet letting the McLaren through SO easily!! It was almost as though they were letting a back marker through!

Piquet, well ok, he does have less experience, but what Massa was thinking I don't know!

Ferrari need to seriously get some updates on their car! It's fine for people to blame the drivers, but you could see through Massa's inability to close up on Piquet that the level just isn't there, the car just isn't cutting it atm, but maybe it's just this circuit, this year!?

and congrats to Piquet!!

Oh and two more things:

- Another AWEFUL strategy decision from Ferrari! why on earth did they bring both cars in together? Heidfeld showed the result of leaving one car out, it was a crazy choice making the ferrari's que up!

Something needs to change within that part of the Ferrari team because they a f*cking up majorly way to often!

- Also seems Heikki now knows how Alonso felt and is getting pissed at McLaren, he reportedly said this to Finnish TV after the race:

Kovalainen (with angry face) to finnish press after the race about McLaren team orders:

" nothing to say about the race because I can't race freely (against Lewis)"

Feel sorry for Heikki!

Oh and two more things:

- Another AWEFUL strategy decision from Ferrari! why on earth did they bring both cars in together? Heidfeld showed the result of leaving one car out, it was a crazy choice making the ferrari's que up!

Something needs to change within that part of the Ferrari team because they a f*cking up majorly way to often!

- Also seems Heikki now knows how Alonso felt and is getting pissed at McLaren, he reportedly said this to Finnish TV after the race:

Feel sorry for Heikki!

He would bound to have been overtaken eventually since you know, at the end Heikki wasn't going to make any more progress. I mean if Kovalienen had held Hamilton up long enough then Piquet could very well have pulled a surprise win out of the bag.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!