NEurope
Oli1983uk

Revolution to be cheapest next-gen console

Found this on http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=12912

Nintendo of America's Reggie Fils-Aime has said that he expects the Revolution to be the cheapest next-generation console available when it hits shop shelves next year.

"Value has been a key card for us this generation and we'll continue to play it," Fils-Aime told CNN Money.

"Do I expect us to be at a lower price point than our competition? Yes I do. Have we determined a price yet? No we haven't."

Nintendo has tried to woo consumers by undercutting its competitors before - the GameCube launched for USD 100 less than the PS2 and Xbox. But despite the cheaper price point, Nintendo's console failed to outsell its rivals.

"I think there were some lessons we learned with the GameCube that we need to apply to the Revolution," Fils-Aime said.

"First, we've got make sure that the titles in the first six months are strong and can drive sales. We've also got to make sure the console is attractive visually. And we've got to deliver on the right consumer needs."

"With GameCube, at the time, portability was thought to be a big factor - that's why it has a handle. Obviously, that wasn't the case."

Fils-Aime reaffirmed that Nintendo will not follow in Sony and Microsoft's footsteps and develop high definition games, which he claims would have "almost interminably long" loading times.

"What we'll offer in terms of gameplay and approachability will more than make up for the lack of HD," Fils-Aime said.

When it came to the question of possible price cuts for the GameCube, GBA and Nintendo DS, Fils-Aime simply stated: "Nothing's planned right now."

He did hint that a new version of the DS could be on the way, however: "As soon as [the DS] was launched, we started looking at ways to tweak it visually."

Well the price being cheaper doesnt surprise me as that is what has been hinted at through out. but a new DS is interesting. i shouldnt be surprised though given the short term history of nintendo "Tweaking" it products. GBASP and GBA Micro springs to mind.

From early on when I got my DS I hoped that they would do a smaller or more portable version of it. I'm pretty small so I have problems to stuff it in my pocket.

"I think there were some lessons we learned with the GameCube that we need to apply to the Revolution," Fils-Aime said.

"First, we've got make sure that the titles in the first six months are strong and can drive sales. We've also got to make sure the console is attractive visually. And we've got to deliver on the right consumer needs."

It's reassuring to know Nintendo has a strategy planned and that they really have learnt from the Gamecube, making the Rev attractive, online and continuing their price advantage.

I think the Rev could have a dood avantage if they manage to keep games at the £40 price tag of the current generation!

Also, Nintendo really have to get the massage out about the entire downloadable backcatalogue! that's reason enough for me to buy a Rev; all those NES and SNES games I never owned, and the few N64 games I missed out on!!

Well ofcourse the rev had to be cheaper than the rest, afterall Ninty's is last in the console race and the rev is the weakest next gen console.

They said they learned their lesson? Pft they said that 5 years ago aswell and they clearly didn't.

Well ofcourse the rev had to be cheaper than the rest, afterall Ninty's is last in the console race and the rev is the weakest next gen console.

They said they learned their lesson? Pft they said that 5 years ago aswell and they clearly didn't.

i think they have learned. just because they are last doesn't make them the cheapest. they are not over technologically influencing this console. it wont have all the added crap that the ps3 and X360 have. it will be a sleeker better system.

Nintendo have concentrated on the key area that will make the console great.

afterall Ninty's is last in the console race

and the rev is the weakest next gen console.

Actually Nintendo is almost certainly going to launch before Sony! certainly worldwide before Sony!

And why are people even commenting on the Revs capabilities when they haven't even been announced!!

And it probably won't be until around the time of the Revs launch that we are seeing 'true' next gen quality games from the 360, so we'll see!

He did hint that a new version of the DS could be on the way, however: "As soon as [the DS] was launched, we started looking at ways to tweak it visually."

Actually, this is probably the only thing DS needs to totally blow PSP away... I always thought DS's design is too 80-ish ... like they took their 80s game&watch dualscreen design a little too seriously...

OTOH, Revolution is a complete breakthrough in Nintendo design philosophy and we can expect the "new" DS to match the general Revo look.

Well ofcourse the rev had to be cheaper than the rest, afterall Ninty's is last in the console race...

Sony has said that PS3 will launch in March, but only in Japan. USA will get console between late autumn and early winter and there isn't even any word when they will launch in Europe. Could even go to year 2007.

Sony has said that PS3 will launch in March, but only in Japan. USA will get console between late autumn and early winter and there isn't even any word when they will launch in Europe. Could even go to year 2007.

When I said 'last in the console race' I meant that Ninty is far behind Sony in terms of sales. What reasons would people have (who own a PS2 now) to suddenly jump ship with the next generation? Probably not too many.

But if the rev is indeed cheap they just might consider getting it as their second console, next to their PS3. That's probably one of the reasons why Ninty decided to go for a small, afordable console.

Sony said that? you liar :P Show me a source.

When I said 'last in the console race' I meant that Ninty is far behind Sony in terms of sales. What reasons would people have (who own a PS2 now) to suddenly jump ship with the next generation? Probably not too many.

But if the rev is indeed cheap they just might consider getting it as their second console, next to their PS3. That's probably one of the reasons why Ninty decided to go for a small, afordable console.

innovation, a totally new experience, fun gaming. those are just a few that i could mention beside price that could make people switch.

Yeah, no way can I see it launching in March!! NO WAY!!

I'd say a late Q2/Q3 launch for Japan,

Q3/Q4 in America (in time for Christmas),

and Spring 2007 in Europe!

innovation, a totally new experience, fun gaming. those are just a few that i could mention beside price that could make people switch.

Maybe, maybe not.

Not everyone cares about innovation (like rev's controller), or may simply prefer a more clasic controller and gameplay. At the end of the day it's still all about the games. Nintendo may have innovation on their side but if their games are still percieved as kiddy and the 3rd party support is still weak then it won't get them anywhere.

Yeah I think we all knew deep down that the rev. would be the cheapest of the three consoles. M$ isn't one to lower there console price especially with the specs on their system, and don't even get me started on sony. :P

Yeah, no way can I see it launching in March!! NO WAY!!

I'd say a late Q2/Q3 launch for Japan,

Q3/Q4 in America (in time for Christmas),

and Spring 2007 in Europe!

Sony did say early 2006 for its release, but I dont know because alot could change between E3 and now.

Direct quote:

"In a demonstration of the swift collaborative response to consumer-driven marketplace changes that a revitalized Sony can deliver, the company soon will unveil a line of compact, portable video devices to fill the time gap before PlayStation 3 launches in Japan in March and in the U.S. a year from now."

(This is part of interview that Hollywood Report did with Howard Stinger, representative of Sony Computer Entertaiment)

URL : http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/business/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001393148

Monkey Punch it isnt really about the games is it? Sony consoles are flooded with crap and people still buy them. It has had some good games but weigh that against the poop and it pales in comparison. GameCube has more than enough quality titles and in terms of sales its last. Its not about the games, its all about image unfortunately.

Monkey Punch it isnt really about the games is it? Sony consoles are flooded with crap and people still buy them. It has had some good games but weigh that against the poop and it pales in comparison. GameCube has more than enough quality titles and in terms of sales its last. Its not about the games, its all about image unfortunately.

ha le lu yah brother. i could not have said it better myself.

Actually, that's crap. People wont always get the next console JUST because it can play the last generations games. I had a PS and got a GC. You can keep last generation consoles to play on y'know!!

And if the theory of the PS3 being so expecive is true, then I CERTAINLY wouldn't buy one even if i had a MEGA library of PS2 games; this Blu-Ray thing puts me off too!!

it wont have all the added crap that the ps3 and X360 have. it will be a sleeker better system.

Heard that before somewhere.

Heard that before somewhere.

i am getting a strange sense of dejavu (sorry if spelt wrong) let see.

i post something.

Bowser57 posts something to counter what i have posted. oh well i enjoy having debates. it makes life interesting.

it wont have all the added crap that the ps3 and X360 have. it will be a sleeker better system.

Hmmm...

A bit like the Gamecube.

i am getting a strange sense of dejavu (sorry if spelt wrong) let see.

i post something.

Bowser57 posts something to counter what i have posted. oh well i enjoy having debates. it makes life interesting.

To be fair don't you think it reads a lot like what the fanboys were hollerin' about when people were talking about hard-drives, DVD playback and online console gaming when the Cube was the new kid on the block?

They convinced themselves then that the Gamecube was the best thing ever because online gaming was for freaks, hard-drives were rubbish and nobody wanted DVD playback.

If Nintendo decides one or more of these things is a good idea it's pounced upon as the greatest thing ever and all previous hate goes out the window.