24 members have voted

1. 1. What format do you like best?

• Blu-Ray
    • (legal) Online downloads

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not everyone has Apple TV, PS3 or an Xbox360.

not everyone has a blu-ray player.

Two problems,

1) even if you have 50Mb internet using it all on watching movies pisses everyone that's using internet in the house.

2)if you're not streaming and each film (hopefully) occupies 15GB, that's 6 movies in an 100GB HDD.

Overall, too much hassle for everyone other than Emasher.

Internet connections will get faster and hard drives will get bigger at a faster rate then people will buy blu-ray players.

That's why you buy a box such as an apple TV to play it on your TV.

Technically Its illegal to lend it out to mates.

The least effort it could take using optical media (that you already own):

Get up and walk over to your player

Grab the case of the movie that's in your player, eject it and put it back in the case.

Find the movie you want to watch take it out of its case and put it in the player.

Wait for it too load and wait for the previews (if applicable) to finish playing.

Navigate through the DVD/blu-ray menus.

The least effort it could take to watch a movie stored on your hard drive:

Scroll through the menus of the device you're using to watch the movie (be it a computer or an apple TV).

Press enter to select the movie.

The least effort it could take to rent a movie via a movie rental store:

Go get in your car and drive to the movie rental store.

Walk in and select a movie.

Pay.

Drive home.

See the earlier optical media scenario for the rest.

The least effort it could take to rent/buy a movie online:

Navigate to the online store.

Select a movie.

Wait for it to download.

As for the next point, its just phycological, it doesn't really matter. In fact, the production of the plastics used to make the case and disk could actually harm the environment.

Why not phone someone while waiting for your movie to download if you want to socialize.

Again I'll say it, why the mention of effort? Is society so lazy as to not even want to leave the house? Jeez, no wonder so many kids are fat nowadays.

I'm sorry, but bringing the eviroment into it? Dvd's rarely get thrown out (as ones we buy, not free stuff). We either keep them, or sell them. So thats not damaging the enviroment.

I can't see downloads taking over for years to come, if ever. Physical media will always be around. If you want the government to spend god knows how much in making our lines fast enough for all thse downloads, not raise the price or cap our bandwidth for downloading all these movies then your living in a dream world.

People like having something they can get their hands on, even if you don't the majority of people do. Fact.

The average 40 year old male will probably ignore HD formats and stick with a DVD player. Its also alot cheaper to buy an Apple TV then the average blu-ray player.

Edit to argue with haggis' last post:

No people aren't that lazy, its just most of them would rather just go to the gym or something and have a more convenient time renting a movie.

I said nothing about throwing the disks and cases out, if you read my post I was talking about the production of the cases.

Yes physical media will always be around, but you must have noticed that most people now buy or steal their music online rather than going out and buying a CD.

And people will get over not having a physical thing. It used to be that software needed to come in a huge box in order for people to think that they were getting their money's worth. Today, lots of pro software is distributed online. Also people don't seem to care that they don't have a CD to show for it when they buy an album with iTunes.

Online downloading is already here. Its just not that big yet. People are going to most likely choose to either buy an Apple TV or similar product or a blu-ray player.

Next time read the entire post before you comment on it. At least finish the sentence you were on. Once people realize how much easier it is to rent a movie with iTunes movie rentals they will start to buy them. When the iPod touch first came out, huge numbers of people complained about it, however its now the most desired portable media player on the market.

The average 40 year old male will probably ignore HD formats and stick with a DVD player. Its also alot cheaper to buy an Apple TV then the average blu-ray player.

No i said if he was buying a HD set up, as in if he went out to buy a new all HD set up. Not just a TV.

Oh and Apple TV is cool, but why the fuck would i buy DRM videos of iTunes when i can buy a real copy for the same price. With a slightly better picture as well...

The average 40 year old male will probably ignore HD formats and stick with a DVD player.

That's stupid, its like people ignoring the telephone for the telegraph. And digital distribution on SDTV isn't anything new and nobody cares about it.

And your Apple propaganda doesn't get very far outside North America.

No i said if he was buying a HD set up, as in if he went out to buy a new all HD set up. Not just a TV.

Oh and Apple TV is cool, but why the fuck would i buy DRM videos of iTunes when i can buy a real copy for the same price. With a slightly better picture as well...

Because its more convenient to browse the iTunes store than it is to go rent/buy a DVD. Its easy to bypass DRM anyway.

That's stupid, its like people ignoring the telephone for the telegraph. And digital distribution on SDTV isn't anything new and nobody cares about it.

And your Apple propaganda doesn't get very far outside North America.

No its not. Blu-ray doesn't matter at all if you don't have a TV that displays more than 720p, and most people don't yet. Even if you have a TV thats better than 720p you're still probably not going to buy a blu-ray player because of the price. Its only if you really care about the picture quality that you would spend so much money on a player.

Not everyone has Apple TV, PS3 or an Xbox360.

Doesn't the PS3 count for the majority of Blu-Ray players?

Oh and how do you bypass Apples DRM then?

Burn to CD then rip it back onto your PC. Pity that the ripped version is illegal in the UK. You could probably burn/rip to a virtual CD drive. That's actually probably legal, too.

To play on other things than computers, to play in different rooms in the house, to lend out to mates etc.

Silly comment that one.

You're thinking far too narrowly when considering digital distribution. It's not going to be people sitting in front of their computer watching an avi file on their monitor. It's more likely to be a set top box, a cross between Sky+ and PC Anywhere type programmes allowing you to access content when and where you like. You can already stream to, say, an xbox from your PC and watch on your TV. When digital distribution comes along proper you'll be able to do all those things, and I don't see why you wont be able to play your films through a friend's box simply by using a username and password.

I'm not saying downloads wont be big. They will get very big, but they wont over take DVD/Blu-ray for years and years yet. If you think they will fair enough, but i bet everything i own they wont. There will be a successor to Blu-ray before that happens.

I'm not saying downloads wont be big. They will get very big, but they wont over take DVD/Blu-ray for years and years yet. If you think they will fair enough, but i bet everything i own they wont. There will be a successor to Blu-ray before that happens.

The BBC iPlayer shows that a lot of people don't really care about quality, but do care about internet streaming/downloading.

Youtube is a perfect example of how much people care about quality.

The videos on youtube are mediocre quality at best, but since it's super convenient people choose to watch stuff on there all the time.

Also, every move that I've purchased a hard copy of over the last three years, I've ripped and stored on my hard drive. At first I did it because my little brother would always leave the movies out of the cases and they'd get damaged, that can't happen with a digital copy.

I then modded a whole bunch of Xboxes, and put them in a few rooms in the house, built a server and let the Xboxes access that server's HDD. The time it took to set that up is well worth the effort in my opinion. Whenever a friend comes over and says "Hey, wanna watch a movie?" it's a lot easier to just turn on my Xbox and have them all right there than have to scour the house for the disk for Fight Club, only to have it glitch out halfway through from the scratches on it.

I honestly can't believe people thing downloads with over take disks so soon. Look at CD's you have been able to get downloads for years and yet CD's show no signs of stopping.

It will be the same for movies, i bet if HD-DVD won and Sony were out of the picture people would be saying totally different things.

Are you kidding me? Apple's itunes has been blamed for years for "bringing death to CD sales"

just a quick google gave me this

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/19/vrs_value_gap_report/

You could go to the store and buy a Wii Points card, or you could just buy the points online. One comes with fancy packaging that... you really don't care about, while the other is fast and does what you need right then. Once you use the points it's obsolete, similar to once I rip my movies, the DVDs are obsolete to me.

People buy games on the Virtual Console, and the Xbox Live Marketplace all the time, Microsoft sells a "Game" that has a bunch of the marketplace games on it, but it doesn't sell well because everyone who wants those games, already has them from downloading them on their Xbox.

I guess to me, it's just inevitable in my eyes. My father asked me to put an Xbox in his room so that he could watch movies and stuff from it. My dad hasn't played video games since Donkey Kong/Super Mario Bros and he wanted this game system in his room as an Apple TV type thing.

Think about services like Pay Per View and Netflix's online video service. The industry has been trying to move forward to a cheaper way to promote their stuff. This is definitely it.

You're thinking far too narrowly when considering digital distribution. It's not going to be people sitting in front of their computer watching an avi file on their monitor. It's more likely to be a set top box, a cross between Sky+ and PC Anywhere type programmes allowing you to access content when and where you like. You can already stream to, say, an xbox from your PC and watch on your TV. When digital distribution comes along proper you'll be able to do all those things, and I don't see why you wont be able to play your films through a friend's box simply by using a username and password.

So how does this work? Would you have to pay to have it as 'purchased' in the same way you do on Wii for instance, or would you pay a subscription and you get access to all films?

There's certainly some good arguments for digital downloads. For instance, what is the real difference between me downloading Geometry Wars for my Xbox, and having Halo 3 on a disc?

So how does this work? Would you have to pay to have it as 'purchased' in the same way you do on Wii for instance, or would you pay a subscription and you get access to all films?

There's certainly some good arguments for digital downloads. For instance, what is the real difference between me downloading Geometry Wars for my Xbox, and having Halo 3 on a disc?

You can't lend out GW.

You can't play GW on a different Xbox.

You can't sell GW.

You can't trade in GW.

The list is endless.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/50098

Nintendo is obviously doing well with the Virtual Console. There is demand for digital distribution. I don't see it taking over TOMORROW... but then again some people still watch movies on VHS.

I don't see it taking over in the gaming world(just because of the price ticket on games)... but in the film industry I can easily see it winning.