Kirkatronics

Sexist?

Is it sexist?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Is it sexist?

• YES!
    • NO!
    • I dont care

as i said, statistically young male drivers have more accidents and more costly accidents than young female drivers. therefore cost insurance companies more and are charged more.

I really dont see how its a difficult concept to grasp.

Lets say you have 20 drivers, 10 17 year old females and 10 17 year old males.

The girls will pay total premium between them of approximately £10,000, have 1 relatively costly accident.

The boys will pay around £20,000 and have 3 expenive fault accidents, quite possibly totalling more that £20,000 in costs to the insurers.

on that basis, why is it wrong to charge them more??

Everyone in this thread that says it is sexist is being idiotic, my example is prefect, the insurance company's dont care who you are they care how likely it is that they will have to pay out, if you are high risk you HAVE to pay more, because they are more likely to loose money, is it ageist that I have to pay more than my dad because he is older than me? no. Stop being ridiculous.

What rubbish.

If you had your penis cut off, surgery and breast implants but in, I'd still say you'd be male, since that was what you were born as and a gender is really something determined by your DNA.

as i said, statistically young male drivers have more accidents and more costly accidents than young female drivers. therefore cost insurance companies more and are charged more.

The girls will pay total premium between them of approximately £10,000, have 1 relatively costly accident.

The boys will pay around £20,000 and have 3 expenive fault accidents, quite possibly totalling more that £20,000 in costs to the insurers.

I never contested the fact that statistically men get in more accidents, my point is that there should be laws in place meaning that you can't base it on the gender of someone. Yes, it would mean more payouts for men, but laws exist throughout life costing people millions. Like I'll say again, if people could get away with paying one gender less for manual work or something, companies would make a killing.

Failing this, there should be some additional test for getting insurance, and you should get charged appropriately based on that, not over gender. Why should I have to pay if chavs try simulate burnout in their supermarket car park to upload a video to youtube?

Everyone in this thread that says it is sexist is being idiotic, my example is prefect, the insurance company's dont care who you are they care how likely it is that they will have to pay out, if you are high risk you HAVE to pay more, because they are more likely to loose money, is it ageist that I have to pay more than my dad because he is older than me? no. Stop being ridiculous.

actually he pays less because he has more experince, as he's older therefore being in a cr longer etc etc, which goes by age also. So yes it could be classed as ageist. :)

Its not a hard concept to grasp, its an unfair one.

Gender doesnt effect how much we get paid at work, how were treated at shop, whether we get a job interview or not. But it does effect our insurance premiums...

For years everyone has wanted equal rights, but insurance premiums knock this to the favor of women.

If you had your penis cut off, surgery and breast implants but in, I'd still say you'd be male, since that was what you were born as and a gender is really something determined by your DNA.

Utter bollocks, gender is a state of mind.

Quoted for utter win.

No offence everyone.

Its not a hard concept to grasp, its an unfair one.

Gender doesnt effect how much we get paid at work, how were treated at shop, whether we get a job interview or not. But it does effect our insurance premiums...

For years everyone has wanted equal rights, but insurance premiums knock this to the favor of women.

i'm beginning to worry about your intelect. if a group costs a company more, they have to pay more.

actually he pays less because he has more experince, as he's older therefore being in a cr longer etc etc, which goes by age also. So yes it could be classed as ageist. :)

I know your kidding about ageiest, but it shouldnt be to do with age either. Just experience.

i'm beginning to worry about your intelect. if a group costs a company more, they have to pay more.

But in the world of equality between men and women that we are aiming for, this is knocking us back.

If women were charged more for being women, there would be protests, sit ins, and numerous petitions.

Fair enough, I still believe gender is determined as having XX or XY chromosomes, what with being a budding scientist and all. Nothing against people who are transgender though.

Although a lot of transexuals I've ever seen I wouldn't have classified as women.. >_>

Are you some hippy?

Man, I think I should warn you, before you go any further - this isn't an argument you're going to win.

Man, I think I should warn you, before you go any further - this isn't an argument you're going to win.

I too thought that.

Fair enough, I still believe gender is determined as having XX or XY chromosomes, what with being a budding scientist and all. Nothing against people who are transgender though.

Although a lot of transexuals I've ever seen I wouldn't have classified as women.. >_>

That attitude is both ignorant and insulting.

It isn't sexist as they aren't discriminating against a certain group because of their gender, they are charging young males more based on overwhelming statistics. The decision isn't based on sex.

But in the world of equality between men and women that we are aiming for, this is knocking us back.

If women were charged more for being women, there would be protests, sit ins, and numerous petitions.

oh my what a very good point. i'll call my boss and pass on your revolutionary new ideas.

me: hi boss, so dude off the net had an idea.

boss: really, please do go on.

me: we are just perpetuating sexist stereotypes by refusing to insure men under 19. lets do it, and to make it even better, lets charge them the same as the girls.

boss: why tom, that s genius, have a raise.

6 months later

me: hey, uh boss, wheres the ffice gone?

boss: i'm sorry tom, but for some reason we have just been leaking money the last 6 months, and we had to shut down. ah well, at least we took a stand for equal rights.

me: thats true, i'm sure i can sell one of my kidneys for food too.

boss: alls well that ends well!

edit: warandchaos, i'm m impressed how your stand for idiocy has managed to turn into you abusing one of the best liked members of the forums too in Rokhed, nice work!

That attitude is both ignorant and insulting.

It's not ignorant, it's a scientific fact that your gender is determined by your DNA, without sounding offensive anyone could have surgery done to them, but it wouldn't necessarily mean they were, say, a dolphin if they had dolphin parts attached to them (think that South Park episode).

It isn't sexist as they aren't discriminating against a certain group because of their gender, they are charging young males more based on overwhelming statistics. The decision isn't based on sex.

I can understand what you mean with the statistics. But in the end, males get charged more.

It's not ignorant, it's a scientific fact that your gender is determined by your DNA, without sounding offensive anyone could have surgery done to them, but it wouldn't necessarily mean they were, say, a dolphin if they had dolphin parts attached to them (think that South Park episode).

Physical characteristics are defined by DNA, gender is not just a physical thing.

I see you're a student of the South Park school of science, no wonder you're so misinformed.

I can understand what you mean with the statistics. But in the end, males get charged more.

because they cost more to insure.

look, this is clearly a rant because you are young and looking at cars. Just take pass plus, and get an old, small 1 litre car, wait till you have some no claims bonus and then go get something better. but i should warn you before you drive, statistically you will crash.

edit: warandchaos, i'm m impressed how your stand for idiocy has managed to turn into you abusing one of the best liked members of the forums too in Rokhed, nice work!

Im not standing up for idiocy, im standing up for what i believe is right.

Just because there are those who disagree, it doesnt make me an idiot.

And how has my idiocy casused the abuse of anyone? People stating their views and oppinions should never be considered idiocy.

Rok is liked because he stands up and debates with people what he believes, letting us know his views, and attitudes towards life.

because they cost more to insure.

look, this is clearly a rant because you are young and looking at cars. Just take pass plus, and get an old, small 1 litre car, wait till you have some no claims bonus and then go get something better. but i should warn you before you drive, statistically you will crash.

Ive had a car for months already.

Physical characteristics are defined by DNA, gender is not just a physical thing.

I see you're a student of the South Park school of science, no wonder you're so misinformed.

A physical characteristic can be changed, yes, but the thought processes of a male and female are very different. I still see gender as a scientific term.

I'm actually a student from Manchester Uni... what about you?