N-Europe

Sony Ericsson's XPERIA X1 - I just came

Sanchez

I don't need a media player, i've got the iPod Touch for that :)

All i need in a phone is some good internet features for when im not in a WiFi hotspot. Basically VOIP, Email, IM and a good Web Browser and i'll be happy! 3.5G + Windows Mobile = Win!

Actually, just for the record, anything + windows mobile can NOT result into a 'Win!'-situation. Windows Mobile is outdated, sluggish, ancient and not for mobiles - it uses interface conventions of the desktop. Seriously, even Windows enthousiasts like Paul Thurrot say that Windows Mobile is the worst mobile system avaible.

ANyways, this phone looks really ugly. I like what they did with the interface, but it always looks so cheap and unprofessional. And those triangular buttons? Were they thinking of diamonds when designing this?

Actually, just for the record, anything + windows mobile can NOT result into a 'Win!'-situation. Windows Mobile is outdated, sluggish, ancient and not for mobiles - it uses interface conventions of the desktop. Seriously, even Windows enthousiasts like Paul Thurrot say that Windows Mobile is the worst mobile system avaible.

ANyways, this phone looks really ugly. I like what they did with the interface, but it always looks so cheap and unprofessional. And those triangular buttons? Were they thinking of diamonds when designing this?

WM's UI is terrible. WM skinned with a custom UI can be pretty good, but once you get in to the menus you remember that you're using WM. That said, it's also the most complete mobile OS i've used. If they can sort the UI problems in 6.5 and 7 then it'll be the best mobile OS out there, the complicated UI is the only thing i can really fault.

As for the second bit, have you seen/used this handset? Most of the panels are brushed metal, it has a good weight and the build quality is very solid. To say it doesn't look professional is nieve, it's one of the best pieces of hardware i've ever laid my hands on.

I've got over my upset about the issues with WM and the lack of Musicstation now, finding myself actually debating whether to keep the phone or not now...

WM's UI is terrible. WM skinned with a custom UI can be pretty good, but once you get in to the menus you remember that you're using WM. That said, it's also the most complete mobile OS i've used. If they can sort the UI problems in 6.5 and 7 then it'll be the best mobile OS out there, the complicated UI is the only thing i can really fault.

As for the second bit, have you seen/used this handset? Most of the panels are brushed metal, it has a good weight and the build quality is very solid. To say it doesn't look professional is nieve, it's one of the best pieces of hardware i've ever laid my hands on.

I've got over my upset about the issues with WM and the lack of Musicstation now, finding myself actually debating whether to keep the phone or not now...

Actually, I was talking about the interface being unprofessional, the handset itself isn't my taste (at all). Also, Windows Mobile isn't just behind in UI - it may be 'complete', but it fails to create a powerfull OS - it's not even a stripped down desktop OS, but it's simply a complete rewrite independant from Windows itself, deluding consumers with a flagship name that doesn't have anything in commen except the one thing it shouldn't - the interface. Anyway, the XPERIA has the worst branding ever, so this one won't get off very high...

Actually, I was talking about the interface being unprofessional, the handset itself isn't my taste (at all). Also, Windows Mobile isn't just behind in UI - it may be 'complete', but it fails to create a powerfull OS - it's not even a stripped down desktop OS, but it's simply a complete rewrite independant from Windows itself, deluding consumers with a flagship name that doesn't have anything in commen except the one thing it shouldn't - the interface. Anyway, the XPERIA has the worst branding ever, so this one won't get off very high...

Sorry, but i actually don't get what you mean. WinMob is the most powerfull mobile OS, it's just fecking ugly and complicated. I've moved from Symbian, i'm finding it can do everything Symbian can and more (thus a lot more than Mobile OS X can). The only mobile OS i don't have any experience with is Android, which from what i know could well be ahead of WM within 6 months. Still, having said that Symbian is the best mobile OS all round, decent level of functionality and customisation without being overly complicated.

Branding??? What is it you mean by that? 'Xperia' is a bad name choice? Big bloody deal! I genuinely couldn't care less, if it's a good handset then they can call it 'Ossama Bin Laden's Arse Dildo' for all i care...

The phone isn't perfect, but it's one of the better ones i've in my life. It's more adaptable than any other phone i've used, but it's also taking a lot more work to get it running well.

Sorry, but i actually don't get what you mean. WinMob is the most powerfull mobile OS, it's just fecking ugly and complicated. I've moved from Symbian, i'm finding it can do everything Symbian can and more (thus a lot more than Mobile OS X can). The only mobile OS i don't have any experience with is Android, which from what i know could well be ahead of WM within 6 months. Still, having said that Symbian is the best mobile OS all round, decent level of functionality and customisation without being overly complicated.

Branding??? What is it you mean by that? 'Xperia' is a bad name choice? Big bloody deal! I genuinely couldn't care less, if it's a good handset then they can call it 'Ossama Bin Laden's Arse Dildo' for all i care...

The phone isn't perfect, but it's one of the better ones i've in my life. It's more adaptable than any other phone i've used, but it's also taking a lot more work to get it running well.

Actually, WinMo is the worst OS - it just has the most usefull applications at the moment. But at it's core it's old and rotten - and Microsoft needs to rethink their Mobile OS if they want to get to the future. Currently OS X mobile is the most powerfull OS (it contains really powerfull API's, but Apple restricts it with the app store). WinMo is actually the worst one out there - the other vendors are just more restrictive in what you can do to keep focus on things you should be doing.

XPERIA is the worst branding I can imagen. Something simpler would be better. And off course, they could have made the thing a looker - I hate that stained steel.

I know you like Apple Jasper but yikes, Even Jobs comes up for air eventually.

It's definitely a nice phone, i did consider getting it before I got the iPhone but the price put me off a bit. The keyboard is really nice though, makes a texting a lot easier than on the iPhone.

Actually, WinMo is the worst OS - it just has the most usefull applications at the moment. But at it's core it's old and rotten - and Microsoft needs to rethink their Mobile OS if they want to get to the future. Currently OS X mobile is the most powerfull OS (it contains really powerfull API's, but Apple restricts it with the app store). WinMo is actually the worst one out there - the other vendors are just more restrictive in what you can do to keep focus on things you should be doing.

XPERIA is the worst branding I can imagen. Something simpler would be better. And off course, they could have made the thing a looker - I hate that stained steel.

Yup, it's slow and prone to the odd crash here and there. It pretty much is the worst mobile OS out there, but it's also the best featured and is very powerful. I just reskinned the whole UI with Touchflo (assigned to a 'Panel', the X1 can run nine different UI skins at once). I've got a Facebook panel that skins the OS with Facebook, integrating your Facebook friends, contacts list and MSN contacts in to a single list. I can leave MSN messenger running in the background 24/7 along with regular email updates. I can sync pretty much the whole OS with my computer. I've barely scratched the surface of what places like XDA Developers have achieved with WinMob and i'm already in awe!

I've no doubt that Google Android can do all of this and will do it better once the dev support it there, but right now it isn't. I also have no doubt that OS X "could" do it better, i just know fine well Apple will never open the OS up. Symbian is another one that will remain closed, where Apple aim for simplicity in the consumer market, Symbian aim for the same thing in the business market.

I've been both impressed and disappointed by Windows Mobile. Overall i like it, but i'm really hoping that WM6.5 irons out the UI problems and then 7 sorts stability.

As for the X1? One of the best pieces of hardware i've used. Couldn't really care less if you like it or not, there's no doubt in my mind that the hardware is at the top of the table. It's no Nokia 8800, but for the £500 RRP build quality is phenominal, way above most high-end phones.

I agree that Windows Mobile sucks, but the OS X mobile creaming doesn't make much sense.

I see a brighter future for the Android, just because OS X is so damn restrictive (can't run your own apps, and you can only run them on iPhones). It's about time Windows loses major ground in some area.

It's a completely open and stable platform for anyone to build upon. You could rebuild it to look like the iPhone OS, Symbian, WinMob, Touchflo or something completely new. There's no restrictions, if programmers can do it then they are allowed to. The other 3 main mobile OS's restrict what the used can do. WinMob is the most open, then Symbian, and the iPhone OS is last (by quite a huge margin).

So for technically minded people it's something to get excited about. However, if you want something simple that "just works" then Mobile OS X or Symbian are more down the lines you should be looking at.

But Apple fans need something to justify the huge price tags.

Let me be firm here: I know you are an Apple-basher, but you just made the worst remark out there.

First of all, I study graphic design and advertising - branding is part of my studies and, yes, I'm interested in what I study - so I also let it determine part of my view of the world.

I know everybody thinks that I just try to defend the iPhone here but it's got it's flaws to. I don't like the XPERIA, that's it.

I don't like WinMo - yes it's customisable, but all the people I know that use WinMo find it slow and annoying. From my experience, the UI is just simple crap. Yes, you can replace it - but that's not the point, Microsoft should clean up their act and bring something to the market that's actually competive with what's out there.

I have an advertisement with the XPERIA on it from a busstop - it's about the size of myself. I've studied that phone up close through high-resolution advertisements. It's just not a pretty phone. And yes, pretty is a factor I'de like to add.

Yes, I've got an iPhone - and I am happy with it - but that doesn't mean I only like Apple products. The LG Prada phone is a pretty piece as well, sadly it runs even worse software.

But I'm done with this. This forum is to much of an 'They must always prefer Apple if they don't like this' - I don't like the XPERIA, but there are non-Apple phones out there I'de love to give a try.

heh, I remember making this thread.

In the end I actually went and bought an HTC Touch Diamond because I could get one for about £200 on ebay and offset that cost by selling my contract upgrade. I did still want the Xperia but £35 a month or £400 for a phone is just too much for me.

Windows Mobile sucks balls. At least I can run Putty and a load of stuff but whenever I have to leave the TouchFLO3D part of the phone I cringe. Even then the phone is still quite laggy. I'm going to try some cooked firmwares after christmas and see if that makes it more manageable.

If not then I'm going to be stuck waiting for WM7 which isn't due out until mid 2009 and might not even be any good. At least there's a homebrew effort to get android(and linux) on the Touch Diamond. I'm hoping HTC might port it themselves after android has a little more dev time.

Let me be firm here: I know you are an Apple-basher, but you just made the worst remark out there.

I'm not an Apple basher. I think Apple make great projects. But you pay through your back teeth for them. And I hate paying for a label.

If you are willing to pay extra for the image then that's up to you. But don't bash other products because they don't have the "image".

But anyway I don't want to de-rail this thread into another apple vs. X topic. So I'll stop posting now.

I'm not an Apple basher. I think Apple make great projects. But you pay through your back teeth for them. And I hate paying for a label.

If you are willing to pay extra for the image then that's up to you. But don't bash other products because they don't have the "image".

But anyway I don't want to de-rail this thread into another apple vs. X topic. So I'll stop posting now.

I'm sorry, but I am going to add that you're not only paying for the label here. The iPhone is the most sturdy phone out there with one of the best mobile OSes, a few of the nicest features and the only one with a multitouch screen. I'm not saying we're not paying for branding, but it's also a very good thing. And here's the thing: most people rather pay an few quid more just to get something that actually looks good. A mobile phone tells something about you - you've got it with you everywhere.

Anyways, corcerning 'branding': a good branding will increase sales, and if they didn't call it the rediculous 'XPERIA', they could have used that ad money to get a better branding for the phone.

I'm sorry, but I am going to add that you're not only paying for the label here. The iPhone is the most sturdy phone out there with one of the best mobile OSes, a few of the nicest features and the only one with a multitouch screen.

Firstly the iPhone isn't the 'most sturdy phone out there' (although you'll probably now disagree with me now on the definition of the word 'sturdy'), it's a decent piece of hardware but nothing outstanding. There's also other phones out there with multitouch (G1 for a start, could bring up others too given 5 mins).

Stable, simple software is what makes the iPhone. That is what you pay for (other than the 'iPhone' and 'Apple' labels). It's the iPhone's ace card and the only feature that other manufacturers haven't surpassed yet. I'm expecting Apple to step things up a gear this year, because they can't really expect the other manufacturers to lag behind on UI for much longer.

I agree with the whole "your mobile phone says something about you" comment though. To be perfectly honest most people i've shown it to have been quite impressed by the Xperia, it looks and feels bloody expensive. Once they start trying to use the phone things don't go quite so well though, it's got quite a steep learning curve. I'm now pretty used to it, it's gone from being a bit of an annoyance to a very usefull device crammed with every feature under the sun (Microsoft Voice Command 1.6 is especially cool). So yeah, basically mine says that i'm a tech geek with more money than sense. Pretty accurate tbh.