NEurope
Gaijin von Snikbah

Fatal Frame 4

Nice quote from Todd Hollenshead - backs up my point nicely. You even nicely underlined the "are still a primarily a pc developer" - which is exactly my point despite the whining.

If you think getting RAGE to run 60fps on consoles means that it will get sky high fps on PCs then you don't understand pc hardware in any way shape or form. There's SO many reasons why this might not be the case, not least adding more features and not running certain effects on the consoles in the first place. Engines are not rigid, they're fluid. Understand that and then you'll start to realise that it doesn't really matter how well it runs on consoles. Moreover, the majority of PC gamers don't have systems that can run Bioshock, CoD 4, Crysis etc at max and at 60frames. That's key - what's the point in developing for the few that can? It's the Blizzard approach there, it's becoming more and more important to hit the "sweet spot" and make engines that can run on most gaming pcs.

Did you even own Bioshock on PC? The problem was nothing to do with optimization. The problem was that they didn't post the shader 3.0 requirement on the back of the box and screwed the required specs up. 6800 GTs can't run shader 3.0 properly so they struggled with Bioshock. Anyone still gaming on one of those and not at LEAST a 7600GT (which is a £40 card) isn't upto modern PC gaming anyway. And yes, it was the superior version. It ran great, it looked great and most of all it played great as mouse and kb is ten times better than sticks.

As for no games coming out, give me a break. Spore, Left4dead, Starcraft II, shitty WoW expansion, loads of other MMO expansions (mainly LOTRO), Total War:Empires, Fallout 3, Demigod, FarCry II, Warhammer Online, Stalker Clear Sky, Battleforge, Red Alert 3, Crysis Warhead, WiC expansion, Dragon Age, Operation Flashpoint 2.

All of these games will get big coverage on IGN and most of them will sell pretty good. It's the same old story here. On PC gaming sites we know there's not a problem and we know that we've got loads to look forward to. As soon as you go to any other forums the console boys "conventional wisdom" shines through and the line, that piracy is killing the PC blah blah, is the accepted one. Piracy is clearly some sort of problem for the PC and moreso than it is for the consoles. However, the damage it does to the consumer is extremely limited.

ARGH, CREATE A TOPIC FOR THAT...

Don't you see? Tecmo is part of the Partnership ^^

Wich means, WE'L RECEIVE HERE IN EUROPE.

Also, im seeing all the walkthroughs of the previous games, so i can know the story better ^^

Nice quote from Todd Hollenshead - backs up my point nicely. You even nicely underlined the "are still a primarily a pc developer" - which is exactly my point despite the whining.
Despite the whining they develop for PC, that's hardly a reason to be proud of. It's not a doomed platform and all that, but thing is... could be so much better, I mean... iIf the PC was the platform they envisioned they'd develop only for it, at this point. Or do console ports as afterthoughts (now 90% of the time we have the opposite of that)

And the problem is one, sales.

If you think getting RAGE to run 60fps on consoles means that it will get sky high fps on PCs then you don't understand pc hardware in any way shape or form. There's SO many reasons why this might not be the case, not least adding more features and not running certain effects on the consoles in the first place. Engines are not rigid, they're fluid. Understand that and then you'll start to realise that it doesn't really matter how well it runs on consoles. Moreover, the majority of PC gamers don't have systems that can run Bioshock, CoD 4, Crysis etc at max and at 60frames. That's key - what's the point in developing for the few that can? It's the Blizzard approach there, it's becoming more and more important to hit the "sweet spot" and make engines that can run on most gaming pcs.
Actually, no, the fact Rage reaches 60 frames on such inferior hardware means, Rage right now, isn't even focusing on supporting DirectX 10, even slightly, amongst other things, sure they might bump the eyevandy optionally, just to max out current gpu's, but really... console 60 fps "options" should be there, and should be giving lots of fps.

Incidentally... the game is optimized and built around those, so it's not like you're playing the game on low, even if there's higher settings. Point in question being... yes, they're primarily a PC developer, but... Rage focuses on consoles. the target for the whole game is 60 frames for consoles, that would never be the case, if they were focusing on PC for this one.

PC is probably still the leading platform in development, they have more experience and reach milestones faster, but other than that... seems secondary to say the least.

Did you even own Bioshock on PC? The problem was nothing to do with optimization. The problem was that they didn't post the shader 3.0 requirement on the back of the box and screwed the required specs up. 6800 GTs can't run shader 3.0 properly so they struggled with Bioshock. Anyone still gaming on one of those and not at LEAST a 7600GT (which is a £40 card) isn't upto modern PC gaming anyway. And yes, it was the superior version. It ran great, it looked great and most of all it played great as mouse and kb is ten times better than sticks.
Problem is that such conversion would take them mere hours, as it was a matter of recompiling that crap for shader model 2.0.

If it's not lack of optimization it has no other designation really. And yes, I played it.

Anyone still gaming in 2007 should have had a Geforce 7400? can't say I agree, after all... 6800GT and ATi x800/850 should be pretty equivalent, amd I buying a new card who'll fare the same or worse in most tests for what? just because they didn't optimize? That's the real problem here.

As for no games coming out, give me a break. Spore, Left4dead, Starcraft II, shitty WoW expansion, loads of other MMO expansions (mainly LOTRO), Total War:Empires, Fallout 3, Demigod, FarCry II, Warhammer Online, Stalker Clear Sky, Battleforge, Red Alert 3, Crysis Warhead, WiC expansion, Dragon Age, Operation Flashpoint 2.
How many of those are coming this year? When multiplatform with consoles will they be optimized for PC's (fallout I'm looking at you)
All of these games will get big coverage on IGN and most of them will sell pretty good. It's the same old story here. On PC gaming sites we know there's not a problem and we know that we've got loads to look forward to. As soon as you go to any other forums the console boys "conventional wisdom" shines through and the line, that piracy is killing the PC blah blah, is the accepted one. Piracy is clearly some sort of problem for the PC and moreso than it is for the consoles. However, the damage it does to the consumer is extremely limited.
I have to disagree, I'm not painting a portriat of doom and apocalipse here, so cut me some slack by not putting me next to people who're overeacting with the situation in that sense, but... it does damage the PC consumer, a lot.

Fatal Frame: Mask of Lunar Eclipse - Interview Videos

- Two of the top developers at Tecmo are in the hot seat at the Creators Voice section of the Wii.com portal. The Japanese version of the portal site is now home to a commentary section from Team Tachyon's Keisuke Kikuchi and Makoto Shibata, respectively the producer and director of Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse.

The two first provide a background on the Fatal Frame series as a whole. Known as "Zero" in Japan, the theme of the series is "Japanese Horror." Set in a Japanese mansion, players make use of a special camera to capture ghosts. The game takes place during the 80s, Kikuchi says, when cell phones have yet to have spread.

Kikuchi attributes the series to a design document that was originally written by Shibata. Two ideas were the focus of that document, says Shibata. The first was the setting inside a Japanese mansion, where the "darkness" could be used to deliver a unique sense of fear. Second was the ghost capture system. The idea of using a camera to capture ghosts came about when Shibata considered that people normally don't want to look directly at something scary such as a ghost. With the camera, people would be required to look at something they found scary in order to defeat it.

"I wanted to make the scariest horror game," says Shibata. The focus of that horror appears to have been personal all along, as Shibata feels that, as a Japanese person, getting a true sense of fear when using a setting outside of Japan would be difficult. He also decided to use ghosts rather than zombies or monsters, as he finds these to be the most scary.

Moving on to the new Wii installment, Shibata first provides a recap of the storyline. As previously revealed, the game takes place on Rougetsu Island, primarily in a mansion called Rougetsu Hall. This mansion was once used as a sanitarium. In the past, a musical ceremony called Rougetsu Kagura was held on the island once every ten years, but it came to a sudden end for some undisclosed reason. Coinciding with that, five girls went missing, to be discovered days later by a detective. The girls had lost their memory, and within a few years, two of them were dead. The story begins as the remaining three girls head off to the island.

The focus of the story, says Kikuchi, is on the girls rediscovering their memories. He notes that at 17 years of age, the girls are at a sensitive point in their lives. They aren't adults and they aren't kids.

While the game's English name hasn't been finalized, the Japanese version has the the subtitle Tsukihami no Kamen, which has been widely translated as Mask of the Lunar Eclipse. This mask was used in that musical ceremony that came to a sudden end just before the kidnappings. It's a key element of the story, says Kikuchi.

The two developers also shared some commentary on the move to the Wii, specifically the changes that the new platform brings to the series. "The basics of the game remain the same as the series until now," says Kikuchi, "but the controls have changed considerably."

As previously announced, players use the nunchuck for character movement. The Wiimote is used to control your flashlight. Kikuchi says that he felt the Wiimote would be perfect for this part of the game the first time he saw the device. Following a series of tests, the development team decided to use the controller's motion sensors instead of pointing in order to capture the flashlight's movements, as Kikuchi feels this gives the game a truer feel of actually controlling a flashlight.

The feel of holding the Wiimote and nunchuck gives the controls a more in-the-game feel than normal control methods would allow, Kikuchi feels, and also increases the sense of fear.

Shibata commented on the other major change for the Wii version: play perspective. Different from past entries in the series, the game is now played in a behind-the-back perspective. Shibata feels this perspective will make players feel like they're actually in the game. He appears to be particularly excited about the ability to use the Wiimote for controlling the flashlight (and, at the same time, your viewpoint), as you can look around as you move.

This change in perspective has actually lead to another, perhaps subtler, change. In past incarnations, Fatal Frame has taken place in an old Japanese mansion, with objects placed in large part directly on top of the tatami-style floor. This means that objects were usually below the player's line of sight. With the new perspective system, the team felt that they could place items in higher locations. As a result, the main area of play resembles a Meiji-era western-style hotel.

Those who like the more traditional setting can look forward to standard Japanese style homes, however. In fact, Kikuchi notes that the new installment has the highest number of explorable buildings in series history.

In closing, Kikuchi had some positive things to say about the collaboration that has resulted in the new Wii installment of Fatal Frame. The game is a joint production between Tecmo, Nintendo, and Grasshopper Manufacturer. Kikuchi feels the game quality benefited from the firm leadership of Nintendo's development staff. As for Grasshopper, he believes the developer's expertise with character expression and actions brought a lot to the game.

The result of that collaboration will be available for all (well, importers at least) to play on July 31. We'll let you know just how scared we get as Fatal Frame hits Wii.

People sure like going off topic alot these days. :(

i've been watching those videos above via my Phone. Even on a small screen its disturbing as hell.

I am curious as to why there are no reviews, but hopefully, its to keep the surprises secret.

Famitsu Reviews

(Wii) Fatal Frame: Tsukihami no Kamen 9/9/8/8

(DS) Fire Emblem 9/8/8/9

(DS) Code Geass R2 6/6/6/7

(DS) Summon Night 2 8/8/8/6

(DS) Sankoku Shi Taisen Sora 8/8/8/8

(DS) Monster Farm DS2 6/7/8/8

(DS) Ron-Q! Highland in DS 7/7/7/6

(DS) Mite wa Ikenai 6/6/6/5

(DS) Wantame Music Channel: Doko Demo Style 6/6/6/6

(DS) Trauma Center 2 8/8/8/8

(Wii) Survival Kids 7/7/6/5

(360) NBA2008 5/7/5/7

Great review for both Fatal Frame and Fire Emblem. Can't wait for both!

Argh.....this game better come out this year!! I'm so excited and will take everything back I said after the press conference.....

Any news yet?

It will come out in September 2009 (Not joking), i don't expect it any earlier here in Europe.

But i would be glad if it came earlier...

Oh, and, this year? Yeah, right xD

IGN have a new hands-on of Fatal Frame. It seems the developers have dropped the ball when it comes to controls, with no IR functions for torch and Camera Obscura, which seen such a natural option- a massive shame, given that RE4 used IR so effectively.

For those too lazy to visit IGN,your torch is always aimed forward, effectively meaning you'll need to move your character to light up new areas of the room, while Camera Obscura is (oddly) controlled horizontally with the analogue stick, while vertical movement is mapped to a Remote waggle.

IGN have a new hands-on of Fatal Frame. It seems the developers have dropped the ball when it comes to controls, with no IR functions for torch and Camera Obscura, which seen such a natural option- a massive shame, given that RE4 used IR so effectively.

For those too lazy to visit IGN,your torch is always aimed forward, effectively meaning you'll need to move your character to light up new areas of the room, while Camera Obscura is (oddly) controlled horizontally with the analogue stick, while vertical movement is mapped to a Remote waggle.

To me it seems more like IGN has once again failed to "get it" as far as the motives behind a control scheme are concerned:

However, in terms of capitalizing on the strengths of Nintendo's controller, we have to cite this game as one of the biggest missed opportunities in recent times, because it completely ignores the fact that the Wii remote has an IR pointer. Why, we have no idea, because as Ruka points her flashlight around darkened environments and focuses her camera on ghosts, we can't help but wonder -- time and time again -- why we can't control both quicker and more precisely using the Wii remote. Instead, the flashlight automatically shines wherever Ruka is looking (with the analog stick) and you control the camera obscura -- get this -- using a combination of the analog stick for left and right movement and Wii remote waggle for up / down movement. That waggle stuff also extends into standard game camera control. While Ruka can look around with the analog stick, all up / down movement is mapped to pulling back or pushing forward with the Wii remote -- which, by the way, feels retarded, not to mention slow. We've come to expect stupid controls like this from Wii-ignorant third-parties, but from a game published by Nintendo, it's just sad. (We really hope someone at Nintendo didn't step in and suggest that the controls be made more accessible. If so, we might just throw up.)
:indeed: Yeah, this is a horror game IGN. Not a racing game, not a beat-'em-up game, not a platformer, but a horror game.

It appears painfully obvious that the controls have been made intentionally less accurate/responsive in order to increase tension during game play. I could be wrong of course, but that's what makes more sense when you look at the kind of game this is.

Anyway, I just hope it gets a PAL release, and soon.

Redshell, i can agree on one hand. But mapping the camera to both the waggle and analogue still seems odd. Very odd.

The camera wouldn't feel right with IR, if you think about it just feels weird, but the flashlight? I dunno, I never seen the game in action, if the camera isn't fixed behind the character it couldn't work, if it is, it's a missed oportunity.

The camera sounds like shit, but since the IGN folks understand games like chimps (I mean, their Wario impressions? lol), I'm hoping it's not like they say it is.

First day Japan sales

Phantasy Star Portable - 217k (90% of shipment)

Rhythm Tengoku Gold - 150k (50%)

SC4 PS3 - 56k

SC4 360 - 35k (80%)

Fatal Frame Wii - 21k (60%)

Doki Doki 2 - 10k

IGN's Hands-On Update

Following our early hands-on report with Fatal Frame yesterday, we've gotten a bit deeper into the game and are back with new videos and some updated impressions.

Our biggest complaint yesterday was something we discovered almost immediately after taking control of the first playable character. Fatal Frame doesn't make use of pointer controls for your flashlight and viewpoint, opting instead for motion-based controls. This control scheme was selected consciously following various tests, the game's producer said in a recent interview, as he believes it more accurately represents the feel of actually holding a flashlight.

That may or may not be the case, but as it stands, after a few hours of play time, we're still having trouble with this particular area of the controls. When attempting to survey your environments, the game doesn't feel as responsive as it should be. It's often difficult to point exactly where you want to look, most notably when trying to pick up items, and, with a camera substituted for a flashlight, when fighting ghosts.

We're hopeful that this is an area of the game that we'll get used to as we continue playing. And we definitely plan on keeping with the game, as despite the controls, the first few hours have provided some of the creepiest gaming moments we've experienced since Siren.

Fatal Frame is true interactive Japanese horror. If you've seen Ring or Chakushin Ari (in their original Japanese forms -- not the Hollywood remakes), you'll recognize the visual and aural elements here, with often inexplicable gimmicks that will have you shaking.

The finest moments so far have come as we explored the initial mansion and ghosts appeared out of nowhere, often guiding us where to go next. The game seamlessly blends cinematics with gameplay. Sometimes, the action will cut away briefly to show a ghost in the distance. More often, though, you'll stay in full control even when things are happening around you. For those interesting in seeing how games can be cinematic without taking control from the player, Fatal Frame has some clues in its first few hours of play.

One area that helps keep the experience smooth is the complete lack of loading. The game's engine appears to be streaming in environments in the background, which unfortunately leads to a bit of choppiness when moving between larger areas, but is certainly much better than loading screens.

Also particularly exciting (again, this has to be prefaced with a warning that the poor viewpoint controls frustrate things here) are the ghost fights, where you attempt to seal away ghosts by taking pictures of them. What makes these invigorating is how the ghosts move about. They'll disappear into walls, and emerge sometimes right beside you. On the whole, ghosts move slowly, but get close enough, and they'll lunge at you, often disappearing under your view.

In addition to killing off the ghosts, which you can do with a few well timed shots, advanced players can attempt to get as many point as possible from each kill. The best point source is the also the name of the game: the Fatal Frame. You get a Fatal Frame when taking a picture by waiting until just before the enemy attacks before snapping away. Those who do get some quality Fatal Frames can save the shots for future viewing.

With your ghostly foe moving about all over the place, it might seem difficult to keep track of position during a battle. It is, which helps keep the tension high. The game does have a simple radar system that makes it possible to get a general idea of the location of your enemy, even if he's not actually visible. Whether this will help later in the game when you starting fighting multiple enemies is something we're not particularly eager to find out.

You do have a few options to make ghost battles easier. Your camera tool can be upgraded in various ways. Blue gems that you find as you explore can be used to power up the parameters of the device, making its attack and recovery speed faster. You'll also find special film for your camera. These add extra strength to every shot, although unlike your standard film, they can be used in only limited quantities.

You also have access to heal items which, like camera items, can be picked up along the way as you explore. In general, we've found that four or five strikes from a ghost will lead to a game over screen.

Items and film can also be purchased at save points by trading in the points that you earn from ghost kills. Stock up on those Fatal Frames if you want to ensure a good item supply!

We're only a few chapters into this first Wii version of Fatal Frame, but we're finding ourselves immersed in the game despite the questionable controls. There's plenty more to the game, including additional playable characters, additional mansions, and an unlockable mission mode once we've cleared the main story. We'll let you know how it all comes together, and if those pesky controls eventually become less pesky, once Nintendo starts talking about a US release.

Game|Life Impressions: Fatal Frame Wii's First Non-Scary Level

Wii is now home to the latest in the Fatal Frame series of survival horror games, subtitled Mask of the Lunar Eclipse.

It's a bit strange going to Fatal Frame after playing through Sony's recent horror title Siren: Blood Curse, which never lets up in its quest to scare the hell out of you. The first level of Fatal Frame is clearly trying its best to be creepy -- it's filled with the ghosts of young women who creep up behind you or appear out of nowhere or, in one case, attack you -- but it's more of an unsettling vibe than it is a deliberately shocking one.

That said, maybe it's just a slow lead-in. I'm guessing that the idea here is to lure in the casual Wii audience and get them playing a horror title. So the first level is mostly there for tutorial purposes -- how to move around and interact with the world. Thus far, the use of the Wiimote controls seems well-done. You use the motion sensing to move your flashlight up and down and scan the room. It looks very natural on screen, as the sensitivity is set low enough that your character doesn't wildly swing the light around with every little hand movement.

So as the story begins, you and your friend Misaki enter into a haunted building where -- I'm translating roughly here from my mental notes -- five girls all disappeared ten years ago. You, Madoka Tsukimori, 17, are freaked out and want to leave, but Misaki disappears, and you go looking for her, and you're pretty much stuck here until you beat the game. I imagine.

It's definitely a slow-paced game. Madoka doesn't walk very fast, and then if you hold the Z button to run, she doesn't run very fast either. They did get the tentative, girl-in-skirt-and-heels gait down perfectly, though. So yeah, you walk through the hallways being taught how the buttons work. There's a film-grain effect, there are some scary nurses or something, some crazy music blares out of a PA system... yawn! I've seen this all before in a hundred other games.

Once you start picking up items, there are a couple of solid ideas. When you pick up a key, and look at it in your menu screen, it shows you which door to use it on. Handy. And the very action of picking things up is interesting. You get close to an item, then hold the A button and Madoka will slowly, slowly extend her hand out towards it. If you let go of A, she'll pull her hand back quickly. Maybe there are going to be things, later in the game, that you don't want to grab on to?

Within minutes, you'll find an old camera. As you may already know, this is how you take care of ghosts in the world of Fatal Frame. You hold the B button to ready the camera, line up a ghost in your lens, press Z to lock on, wait for the perfect moment, then shoot. Better-quality pictures equal more damage.

So thus far, Fatal Frame doesn't differ much from the series' standard formula. If you're dying to play this one before it comes to the United States (it's definitely not out this year here), be aware that it's not import-friendly. There's tons of text in Japanese, tons of kanji for the sorts of words that pop up in horror games, and lots of story and dialogue.

After the first level ends, you can save your game (no mid-level saves, as far as I can tell) and save any pictures you took. As the second level began, I found myself playing as Ruka Minazuki, who apparently is the first of the girls who disappeared. Near as I can tell, she's the game's main protagonist.

I haven't played nearly enough Fatal Frame to tell you any more than that, but I'm hoping that the combined powers of Tecmo, Nintendo and co-director Goichi Suda have produced something slightly better than your average horror title.

http://www.Wired.com

It should be noted that both of those IGN impressions were not written by the same person, before anyone jumps on them for "contradicting themselves".

Matt's complaint about it was simple, the game is on Wii. When people found out it was on Wii, obviously the first thought was "great, full Wii remote IR camera control, point and snap pictures!" yet it's not even as simple as that.

Okay maybe they are less responsive for the sake of the horror feel, like resident evil with stopping to shoot, sure, however it just feels then again like this is another "exclusive" for Wii that doesn't seem to really be justifying much of a reason for being on Wii in the first place, unless using little bits of waggle like they've implimented really enhances the game 300%!

IGN folks understand games like chimps (I mean, their Wario impressions? lol),

Um...they love Wario? I don't really know what you mean. The only ways Matt was down on the game was before he'd played it he wasn't "completely sure" if it'd work because of recent titles like Master of Disguise being piss poor. Other than that the only thing he's bothered about is the bordered 16:9 and that the shaking is a little slow to respond. People have mentioned that the 16:9 may be due to level design in 2D games but at the same time, didn't games like Super Paper Mario still offer full 16:9?

Reason I even bring this up by the way is it's more examples on POUNCING for chances for ridiculous IGN hate out of nowhere. Generally extremely positive Fatal Frame preview...yet the one part that isn't positive you all RIP out and tear apart like a pack of wild Matt Cassamassina hating dogs.

Thats pretty much the point, why are developers - including Nintendo - ignoring Wii's obvious benefits?

Sure, its a horror game, and maybe needs a slower pace, but these controls seem plain odd and ill thoughtout.

For me, the torch should be completely IR- perhaps even with an atmospheric delay while surveying. The camera should be solely IR or Analogue Stick. Or for added casualness- lift both the nunchuck and remote vertically and use the Z Trigger to operate camera. Clicken Clacken Picture Taken.

LOOOOOOL

IR for camera? That wouldn't be a Horror game, that would be easy as piss.

About the lighting i don't know, now, about the camera, IR would be a poor choice.

I think its fine as it is...

Well it wouldn't necessarily be easy as piss if they made the ghosts much harder to shoot since you had better control

Its already hard, 5 strikes with the ghost and you die, you need a lot of shots to kill them... And that's the way it should stay, IR (FPS Camera), as much as difficult you put, it would be easy, and less scarier, you just have to point and click, you don't have to look at his face (one of the reasons Fatal Frame is so scary)

But IR for Torch would be good, its a little too clunky for my taste.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Priceless, i want that costume :D

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Priceless, i want that costume :D

You take the costume, I take the girl.