NEurope
Slaggis

Rage...Building

Let me see if I got this straight, someone didn't get 30£ and so its mad at everyone who does?

XD no I'm saying what a bollocks system EMA is, which quite a few people have agreed. Paying people £30 a week to go to sixth form... :shakehead

I'm not saying that some people don't need it, just not all of that, and some people do need it but don't get it.

Haggis, I'm not saying it won't help you on your course. Just that £30 a month is too much for most people, that it does get blown on non-academic things and that families just above the threshold = children miss out.

And of course I knew I'd inadvertently spur that sort of comment. I didn't mean to apply it to everyone.

I should flesh out my post. I meant to say that it isn't built to give people the support they need, if it were, then the supplied would be provided, not cold hard cash.

Unfortunately, what it does instead is make the people who normally wouldn't go on to further education go on because it's piss easy cash as far as they're aware.

There are obvious exceptions; some people actually do want to go to college and they get rewarded for it. However, the problem here is that not everybody does.

You know what, I was going to try and make sense of it, then I realised it'd come out wrong and someone would think that I was having a go at them and/or a stereotype, which isn't my intention. I'll just leave my ramblings be.

Just stay safe in the knowledge that if you were going to college anyway, then good for you for getting EMA, it's not you my rants are aimed at.

Thank you, that's a nice post. You understand not to lump us all in together.

I don't give a damn if you'd like a social life, the government shouldn't pay you to have that. Libraries are there, there's no excuse why you can't bring your own food. Even then a Gregg's pasty is under a quid...not suggesting you should eat that every day. Transport - while it may be more to some people, IMO the amount people are being paid is excess.

If you want to go out and get pissed then bloody well get a job. ;)

What I said. Really you should try reading my posts. I had a job. I had one night a week to go out, paid for by the job.

You have to write back to them, which you musn't have done.

Haggis and I v You. I think i'm going to go with us.

While people not being paid £30 a week will do absolute ****, failing and dropping out at the earliest stages? ;)

Yeah. Fuck yeah. I know rich kids that have had their parents pay for the best schools and the best education only for them to drop out and spend the rest of their teenage years smoking pot.

Surely the greatest loss would be to keep the books thus make absolute 0 pence profit?

No, I like having the books. I like to read.

What opportunities? When you get to University you get a loan, and family income probably puts you into a better light regarding grants etc, despite the fact that slightly better off people will still probably be paying back loans by themselves through their own money when they get a job.

Opportunities like being able to go to college because of the EMA.

I shall reiterate as you seem to be quite ignorant regarding this. My parents do not earn that much money, just enough so I got no EMA money. Them being together reduced the chance of me getting any EMA.

But apparently you don't need EMA, so what's the problem. If you were getting the money would it be a problem? And i'm the ignorant one? :indeed:

Also, my parents do not give me money (in the sense that I am funded throughout life). That is why I have a job. Therefore I have no money to share with people. Isn't using bold very fun. Either way the person assuming here is you. You think I'm some rich boy who wants to take from the poor. Bollocks to that, I work at bloody Tesco. That says enough.

And you think I'm cheat off the system, only difference is you made your assumptions first.

Haggis, I'm not saying it won't help you on your course. Just that £30 a month is too much for most people, that it does get blown on non-academic things and that families just above the threshold = children miss out.

Finally! You said most, thankyou. Thats what I mean, you can't lump everyone together, some people do need it for academic reasons.:smile:

Finally! You said most, thankyou. Thats what I mean, you can't lump everyone together, some people do need it for academic reasons.:smile:

Finally, all I wanted

I get £20 a week from EMA, but I really dont think I need it. The buses are free for me, I have a job, and my mum pays for books etc, even though her income isnt that high. I think its a stupid idea, because people who were originally going oto leave arent going to stay at school for a measley £30 a week, when they could have a real, paying job.

Finally! You said most, thankyou. Thats what I mean, you can't lump everyone together, some people do need it for academic reasons.

Unfortunately EMA does lump everyone together simply by thresholds. This makes for a flawed system. Even if you need some of it, the system gives money to far more people who probably need little of it. And it doesn't give money to some people who don't also need it, but probably just as much as people who are getting it. That is why I dislike the system as a whole.

Thank you, that's a nice post. You understand not to lump us all in together.

You realise he has basically criticised the EMA system for the things I have been saying. That being that it does not include everyone, and assumes that a slightly better off family = child is funded in every single way. Also that it encourages people to stay on even if they had no intention beforehand.

What I said. Really you should try reading my posts. I had a job. I had one night a week to go out, paid for by the job.

Then clearly the things you stated you need money for weren't requiring a whole £30.

Haggis and I v You. I think i'm going to go with us.

What? You did realise I quoted the freaking HM Revenue and Customs website? Oh OK, if you think I'm lying about your parent(s) being able to claim child benefit after you're 16 despite the site saying it, keep believing it!

Yeah. Fuck yeah. I know rich kids that have had their parents pay for the best schools and the best education only for them to drop out and spend the rest of their teenage years smoking pot.

I'm not a rich kid though. I'm that low-middle range who doesn't get anything thus no additional motivation. =D

No, I like having the books. I like to read.

Bull****. You just said that you'd have sold the books but it wasn't profitable. Also you never had the books beforehand and just got it for the coursework. I really think if someone came up to you and said "I'll buy that £200 book for £150 which you probably have no real use for anymore" I defy any teenager to keep onto it. I think you just hadn't the effort or care to see how to sell it online. =/

Opportunities like being able to go to college because of the EMA.

It cost nothing for me or my family for me to go to sixth form. I guess you just got unlucky.

But apparently you don't need EMA, so what's the problem. If you were getting the money would it be a problem? And i'm the ignorant one? :indeed:

I don't need the money, bloody Rokhed didn't need the money (and had no chance to get it in 'his day'), why the hell would you need it?

And you think I'm cheat off the system, only difference is you made your assumptions first.

After shredding your statement to bits about me 'not sharing my money' - my money being non-existant and stating I work at Tesco, that is your best comeback? And still, you provide nothing to say you need £30 a week.

Want to know what riles me? That..fucking...pose and look on that Paramore girl in Haggis' signature. I swear, it just goes right through me.

I just realized I hate how I don't properly understand how to use apostrophes all the time.

I just think it's annoying that some people get £30 a week for being at High School and all the done was blow it on DVDs and stuff for their room and never anything school wise.

Oh god the exams... he just couldn't read the questions properly or listen. You know with writting exams you get 20 odd questions (or atleast in Scotland you do) and you answer one or 2 for your essays? After being told numerous times by teachers before, minutes before the exam, what does he do? Do 7 lines for each question. Basically he f****** himself up so bad he got rejected from McDonalds.

But I know people who get like £10 and really need the money for traveling and materials etc.

I got £10 but I had a job to help with money after a while anyway so it was all good :heh:

Want to know what riles me? That..fucking...pose and look on that Paramore girl in Haggis' signature. I swear, it just goes right through me.

I just realized I hate how I don't properly understand how to use apostrophes all the time.

Haha! Sorry Dyson! I actually have one with her with a normal face, if it annoys you so much, I'll change it. :) (Though going by everyone else rating in the sig thread, no-one else minds)

--

I cannot work, my mum can't afford to pay for everything. The EMA gets me what I need for college, my courses etc. End off. I cannot be arsed to repeat myself and be ridiculed by someone telling me I don't deserve it. I nor lazyboy are "spongers".

I just think it's annoying that some people get £30 a week for being at High School and all the done was blow it on DVDs and stuff for their room and never anything school wise.

Which given that most people aren't A grade students, probably equates to the majority of people. A system that doesn't work for most people is flawed. I respect the fact that people like Haggis are in difficult circumstances, but the system overall is wrong in too many ways. I don't aim to lump people who try and people who don't together, just that the system is unfair. =O

i have no idea what the ema system is all i know is we dont get one here.. and if we do why wasnt i fucking told.. where is conzer? :)

You realise he has basically criticised the EMA system for the things I have been saying. That being that it does not include everyone, and assumes that a slightly better off family = child is funded in every single way. Also that it encourages people to stay on even if they had no intention beforehand.

No he criticised the system, you criticised me. Take a page from his book.

Then clearly the things you stated you need money for weren't requiring a whole £30.

I worked one night a week. Earned practically nothing.

What? You did realise I quoted the freaking HM Revenue and Customs website? Oh OK, if you think I'm lying about your parent(s) being able to claim child benefit after you're 16 despite the site saying it, keep believing it!

I will. You know why....its true.

Bull****. You just said that you'd have sold the books but it wasn't profitable. Also you never had the books beforehand and just got it for the coursework. I really think if someone came up to you and said "I'll buy that £200 book for £150 which you probably have no real use for anymore" I defy any teenager to keep onto it. I think you just hadn't the effort or care to see how to sell it online. =/

Damn right I would of sold it, but no one offered me £150. I tried to sell it, but i'm not going to sell a book worth that much for £10

It cost nothing for me or my family for me to go to sixth form. I guess you just got unlucky.

At birth

I don't need the money, bloody Rokhed didn't need the money (and had no chance to get it in 'his day'), why the hell would you need it?

Because my family has no money. How haven't you got that by now.

After shredding your statement to bits about me 'not sharing my money' - my money being non-existant and stating I work at Tesco, that is your best comeback? And still, you provide nothing to say you need £30 a week.

Spongers.

Ha I provided plenty. Your just so arrogantly attached to your ill-informed and ignorant view on the world that you refuse to accept that some people need it. Why don't you pull your head out of your arse and think, "wait, hold on a second, I haven't been in the same situation as Haggis or LazyBoy, maybe I don't know what the fuck i'm talking about."

No he criticised the system, you criticised me. Take a page from his book.

Oh come on. You really think I have been saying "Oh that Lazyboy is a right #@?! I have been quite blatantly saying "EMA doesn't cover the low-middle range", "EMA is too much for most", "EMA encourages people for the wrong reasons" etc. Of course I have been saying the same points as him. I have also been questioning your use of the EMA money, because I don't think you need it. But that's just my opinion.

I will. You know why....its true.

Blind ignorance will get you nowhere in life. =/

Just fire up the website, it will explain to you your parents are still eligible. No more on this matter; if you're just going to keep denying hard facts then there's no point in discussing this.

Damn right I would of sold it, but no one offered me £150. I tried to sell it, but i'm not going to sell a book worth that much for £10

No one offered...maybe because you didn't list it on a website? It's not like normally people just say completely out of the blue "Hey do you have Roman History by Joe Bloggs 2nd Edition?" - "Why yes I do! What a coincidence!".

You would get a lot more than £10 for it, people can easily find out the RRP. Obviously you wouldn't get full price but certainly a decent amount.

Because my family has no money. How haven't you got that by now.

Rokhed had no money! I'm not being funny here, but for a person to attend a 6th form, buy the occasional A4 pad, travel to and from with passes and buy some lunch (not from Marks and Spencer), it shouldn't cost £30 a week, for most people at least. It doesn't sound like it costs you £30 a week for sure.

Ha I provided plenty. Your just so arrogantly attached to your ill-informed and ignorant view on the world that you refuse to accept that some people need it. Why don't you pull your head out of your arse and think, "wait, hold on a second, I haven't been in the same situation as Haggis or LazyBoy, maybe I don't know what the fuck i'm talking about."

I'll repeat what you said again to reveal how much of a hypocrite you are. Ill-informed and ignorant view right back at you:

and I think its funny that you consider yourself qualified to judge whether or not people in lower classes need help. End of the day the only reason that you don't like it is because you don't want to share you're money with anyone, which is fair enough, its just selfish.

Sheer ignorance. You honestly think the EMA is a great system. Well, it would be odd for you to think otherwise since you are being paid by it. I don't think we could ever expect you to see anything wrong with being paid money. Everyone likes money!

Yes, some people are in difficult circumstances, yet I don't believe paying £30 to everyone under a threshold is fair, not just because of the amount but how it excludes several people who you seem to think are rich boys. The tables here turn really, and the person who thinks anyone slightly better off than themselves deserves nothing is you. Shame.

Intolerance and ignorance both piss the hell out of me. Being a Korean living in America with my religion being Christianty (It seems people in the Southern U.S. firmly believe that all Christians must be white and anyone below that is clearly in the wrong) puts me in one very unique niche. It also makes it significantly worse when someone of your own race goes into a popular university and kills over 33 people, making it the single greatest school shooting in history as far as numbers are concerned.

The amount of racism and bigotry I've seen directed towards me in life is enough to make anyone sick. But there is nothing I can really do about it. Those kind of people will exist and continue to exist. At least I can say I'm not a Muslim, they have it harder here. A lot of Americans have a tendency to believe that someone who is a Muslim is clearly a terrorist, and that is blantly wrong. There may be a significant movement considering those kind of organizations but the grand majority does not apply.

But getting this concept through their head is kind of difficult but I digress. But even with that said, despite the sheer amount of racism I've experienced, I'm still in the common belief that the majority of the American people are good and are certainly brighter than the people I have made an example out of above. Just stay away from the service sector economy people and you're good to go, LOL! :P

Oh come on. You really think I have been saying "Oh that Lazyboy is a right #@?! I have been quite blatantly saying "EMA doesn't cover the low-middle range", "EMA is too much for most", "EMA encourages people for the wrong reasons" etc. Of course I have been saying the same points as him. I have also been questioning your use of the EMA money, because I don't think you need it. But that's just my opinion.

Yeah you've been attacking my legibility for. You don't know who I am.

Blind ignorance will get you nowhere in life. =/

How right you are.

Just fire up the website, it will explain to you your parents are still eligible. No more on this matter; if you're just going to keep denying hard facts then there's no point in discussing this.

If you're going to keep denying that I DIDN'T GET IT I agree.

No one offered...maybe because you didn't list it on a website? It's not like normally people just say completely out of the blue "Hey do you have Roman History by Joe Bloggs 2nd Edition?" - "Why yes I do! What a coincidence!".

You would get a lot more than £10 for it, people can easily find out the RRP. Obviously you wouldn't get full price but certainly a decent amount.

What, are you trying to convince me I didn't do it. You except me to turn around and think, "wait maybe he's right. Maybe I didn't try to sell it." Seriously what are you trying to do?

Rokhed had no money! I'm not being funny here, but for a person to attend a 6th form, buy the occasional A4 pad, travel to and from with passes and buy some lunch (not from Marks and Spencer), it shouldn't cost £30 a week, for most people at least. It doesn't sound like it costs you £30 a week for sure.

It did. You can believe, or continue arguing against a brick wall.

Sheer ignorance. You honestly think the EMA is a great system. Well, it would be odd for you to think otherwise since you are being paid by it. I don't think we could ever expect you to see anything wrong with being paid to do something that you shouldn't be paid to do.

Never said the EMA was a great system. I actually said it was flawed too. Try reading. I said some people really need it, like Haggis and I, and others I know.

And you're only pissed because you aren't getting it.

Yes, some people are in difficult circumstances, yet I don't believe paying £30 to everyone under a threshold is fair, not just because of the amount but how it excludes several people who you seem to think are rich boys. The tables here turn really, and the person who thinks anyone slightly better off than themselves deserves nothing is you. Shame.

Oh yeah, i'm feeling it now.

What, are you trying to convince me I didn't do it. You except me to turn around and think, "wait maybe he's right. Maybe I didn't try to sell it." Seriously what are you trying to do?

So where did you list it then? By the sounds of things you haven't tried to sell it at all, rather you're just saying you did now so you don't sound like a bit of a wally for spending £200 on a comprehensive book and never using it again. :p

What was the name and author of the book?

And you're only pissed because you aren't getting it.

XD I'm 20 and in my final year of uni, do you think I am suffering right now? I am just very unimpressed by this system of favouritism and generally a waste of taxpayers money. Note generally, not entirely.

Oh yeah, i'm feeling it now.

Who cares what you're feeling... you can't yell ignorance when that's all you use to get by.

Who cares what you're feeling... you can't yell ignorance when that's all you use to get by.

I'm going to make this the last thing I say to you because it's not like you even have an opinion anymore, you're just stupid, and carrying on this conversation is only feeding the idea that I or anyone else gives a crap what you think.

You don't know me, you don't know my situation. You don't know shit.

I don't even know what that means :(

I wasn't talking about your post, it's just something that annoys me when I'm feeling pedantic.

I'm going to make this the last thing I say to you because it's not like you even have an opinion anymore, you're just stupid, and carrying on this conversation is only feeding the idea that I or anyone else gives a crap what you think.

You don't know me, you don't know my situation. You don't know shit.

I know that you're an arrogant person who has just got through this argument on sheer denial and ignorance. Your entire argument rested on my supposed 'ignorance', which fell flat when your own ignorance shone through by saying that I was some rich kid who doesn't share my money.

But yeh, you'll probably go through life thinking that everyone owes you something because you've got such a hard life, arguing until blue if anyone dares challenge any system that may be benefiting you.

What do I know though, I'm obviously a rich boy funded heavily by my parents, which logically explains why I am under employment by Tesco and didn't go to a private school, rather a government funded secondary school.

Fool to me. :)

Intolerance and ignorance both piss the hell out of me. Being a Korean living in America with my religion being Christianty (It seems people in the Southern U.S. firmly believe that all Christians must be white and anyone below that is clearly in the wrong) puts me in one very unique niche. It also makes it significantly worse when someone of your own race goes into a popular university and kills over 33 people, making it the single greatest school shooting in history as far as numbers are concerned.

The amount of racism and bigotry I've seen directed towards me in life is enough to make anyone sick. But there is nothing I can really do about it. Those kind of people will exist and continue to exist. At least I can say I'm not a Muslim, they have it harder here. A lot of Americans have a tendency to believe that someone who is a Muslim is clearly a terrorist, and that is blantly wrong. There may be a significant movement considering those kind of organizations but the grand majority does not apply.

But getting this concept through their head is kind of difficult but I digress. But even with that said, despite the sheer amount of racism I've experienced, I'm still in the common belief that the majority of the American people are good and are certainly brighter than the people I have made an example out of above. Just stay away from the service sector economy people and you're good to go, LOL! :P

racism bothers me a lot.. Truth is though you mostly see it with much older people.. Nothing bothers me more than homophobes though.. I firmly believe that there will be a time when ..

well you know wne someone is called a rasict they are a bad person but then someone says they are homophobe and they don't seem bad

I think that will change.

it's a little diffcult to word that one:)

i dunno, in my day we had to survive on pocket money lol. feel old now :D my girlfriend is a good bit younger than me and was able to get EMA, which she used for petrol for her car which got her to and from school (her 'A'-levels by the way, so she got it till she was 18, but mabe that's just Northern Ireland) and to and from the part-time job she had too. Thing is, her parents were both on good wages, but because they were split up she still got it. They even admitted that they were surprised she got it, technically they shouldn't have but being split up adds a lot of "points" to the application, which I feel is incredibly unfair on those families that are still together!

god, i remember being at primary school and getting 50p pocket money and that could buy my He-Man comic AND sweets!! NOW i feel old lol!!

WEll when i'm getting £30 a week just for going to college this time next year, i'm gonna spend it on whatever the fuck i feel.

Imo, the only people who really hate it are the ones sore they're not getting it.

Imo, the only people who really hate it are the ones sore they're not getting it.

Obviously. But the way they work out who gets it is utterly retarded.