NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Helmsly

New Wii Firmware update now avaliable

Well apparently there's a new Wii firmware update now available, no idea what it does yet. Could this be the Everybody’s Nintendo channel and the ability to give someone a Virtual Console game as a gift?

edit- from Cosmonaut X at Neogaf

-- Wii Shop main menu icon and launch page changed

-- Photo Channel update available through WiiWare

-- Gift-giving enabled

-- Pokemon Snap available in EU

The Photo channel update (which is optonal ) replaces MP3 compatibility with the ability to play AAC files

Wii Update: New Gift Feature, Photo Channel Update and Pokémon Snap

Available now, Wii Shop Channel has a new gift feature which allows you to send a Virtual Console game or Wii software to a friend as a present.

Sending gifts works in the same way as making a purchase from the Wii Shop Channel. Simply choose the software, select gift, and choose a friend from your Wii Friends Roster. You can even personalise the gift by attaching your own Mii and a message.

You can find out more about the gift feature in the Shopping Guide on the Wii Shop Channel page.

Also available now on Virtual Console is Pokémon Snap. In Pokémon Snap, you can capture Pokémon not with a Poké Ball but with a camera!

Originally a hit on Nintendo 64, the Virtual Console version of Pokémon Snap has been enhanced to work with the Wii Message Board - so now you can share your favourite Pokémon pictures with friends.

A new version of the Photo Channel is also available. This version is free to download simply by visiting the Wii Software section.

This Photo Channel update includes:

● Option to customise the Photo Channel icon on the Wii Menu with any photograph you like, transferred from an SD card

● New file format for background music played from an SD card. The previous format of MP3 has been replaced with AAC, which benefits from higher sound quality in the same file size

● Shuffle play of background music during a slide show

Shot of the new Logo

wiishopkx9.jpg

Well apparently there's a new Wii firmware update now available, no idea what it does yet. Could this be the Everybody’s Nintendo channel and the ability to give someone a Virtual Console game as a gift?

edit- from Cosmonaut X at Neogaf

-- Wii Shop main menu icon and launch page changed meh

-- Photo Channel update available through WiiWare sigh

-- Gift-giving enabled some potential

-- Pokemon Snap available in EU

buh

So in general not a lot to look forward to.

Good thing that you can go back to the Mp3 version of the Photo Channel. Read below taken from the Nintendo Site.

Going back to Photo Channel 1.0

If you updated to Photo Channel 1.1, but have decided you prefer Photo Channel 1.0 (for instance if you'd rather have MP3 compatibility instead of AAC), going back is easy. All you have to do is select the Wii button from the Wii menu, choose Data Management, and select "Channels." Select the Photo Channel icon and confirm you wish to delete it. After that, Photo Channel 1.0 will automatically be available again from your Wii menu. If you ever change your mind, simply go back to the Wii Shop Channel and re-download Photo Channel 1.1!

Please note that Wii consoles that come with Photo Channel 1.1 pre-installed at the factory will not have the ability to delete that version and downgrade to Photo Channel 1.0 (these consoles became available at retail in December, 2007).

Good thing that you can go back to the Mp3 version of the Photo Channel. Read below taken from the Nintendo Site.

oh thats awesome, originaly they said you wouldnt be able to remove it. Glad they changed their mind.

oh thats awesome, originaly they said you wouldnt be able to remove it. Glad they changed their mind.

Aye. I'm upgrading now just for the custom Picture Channel pic. The default one is u.g.l.y.

I hate the fact that you have to chose either AAC or MP3.. I mean, why couldn't they make both possible?

I can't see the problem -.-

I hate the fact that you have to chose either AAC or MP3.. I mean, why couldn't they make both possible?

I can't see the problem -.-

Neither can I.

Oh well I guess I'll update when I get home.

I updated mine this morning, updated my photo channel and stuck that Mario Galaxy picture that was released a while back on it. Looks great :p

Just updated mine , and now have a Seahawks (what else) screensaver as the menu icon for the photo channel.

Not really bothered too much about replacing mp3's with AAC as nearly all my files are AAC anyway (but I hope that AAC support will follow in any future games).

I stupidly deleted my MP3 files and changed them to AAC thinking Endless Ocean and Excitetruck wouldn't play them anymore, then remembered them two games aren't effected!

DAMN IT! :indeed:

I stupidly deleted my MP3 files and changed them to AAC thinking Endless Ocean and Excitetruck wouldn't play them anymore, then remembered them two games aren't effected!

DAMN IT! :indeed:

that was a bit stupid :P

Updated mine but not the Photo Channel since all I have is MP3s and got no AAC files. I just upgraded cause I wanted to download a VC game. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't upgrade my firmware till well into next year :heh:

that was a bit stupid :P

A bit? It was stupidly stupid.

Nevermind...i quite like the Endless Ocean and Excitetruck music. : peace:

I'm sure my Wii isn't reading my AAC files from my SD card!

According to gamefaqs the gifts are not just region locked but country locked aswell.

In addition to being region-locked, Wii Gifts are also COUNTRY-locked. That means - for example - someone in Canada cannot send a gift to a person in the U.S., or vice versa.

I ended up having to change my region to U.S. just to be able to send a gift to my friend. What a pain!

Dont know how true this is but thought I would post it anyways.

Well that means I virtually won't recieve/send any since I barely know anyone in Scotland that has one. I hope I can send them within the UK, if not then that'll suck.

Wait a sec, are we counted as the UK or am i stuck as freaking Scotland?

Also, whats stopping someone from changing their region?

Wait a sec, are we counted as the UK or am i stuck as freaking Scotland?

Also, whats stopping someone from changing their region?

One of us. One of us.

I feel sorry for you if you are stuck with us :heh:

Haven't they changed the Wii Shop Channel screen twice now? I'm not entirely thrilled by the update, but just to try it out I sent the Photo Channel update to my friend.

Nope that's a lie. You don't lose the games or your points.

NO. The CAKE is a lie.

According to gamefaqs the gifts are not just region locked but country locked aswell.

Dont know how true this is but thought I would post it anyways.

Just made a topic about that in the Wii Channels Discussion. It's so ****ing stupid.

ok AAC is cool and mush better that mp3 but now i need a free converter does any one know one?

iTunes .

Sign in to follow this