NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

From CVG. It looks like about 3 weeks to go until the 2.4 update. Which makes sense with the Burnout update.

Exclusive: Firmware 2.4's XMB features revealed

CVG has managed to get its grubby hands on the final list of features for the hotly anticipated Firmware 2.4 update, which was yesterday rumoured to be due early next week. But that's not the case we've been told...

Speaking under strict conditions of anonymity, a source has told CVG that Firmware 2.4 is expected to launch in around three weeks' time. A quick look at the diary reveals that E3 is just under three weeks away. It doesn't take a genius to see that Sony's pre-E3 conference would be the perfect time to launch the Sony XMB assault.

Announcing something and making it available at the same time is the way forward, as Microsoft proved by revealing Doom isn't just coming to Xbox Live Arcade, it's on Xbox Live Arcade a few E3s ago. Apple is known for this approach too.

We've also scooped the following list of XMB features that you'll be able to access in-game. Here goes:

Friend category

View, send, receive messages

Manage downloads

Set the vibration feature of the controller

Sign in to PlayStation Network

Register friends

Manage Bluetooth devices

Terminate the game

Music category

Use the system BGM

Work the system BGM operation panel

Settings category

Assign controllers

View profiles

Game category

Set audio devices

Use the voice changer

As previously reported the update will also allow you to play back your own tunes in-game from the XMB Music column. It's unclear whether this feature will be compatible with all games or just new titles created with more recent development tools.

The system BGM will offer functions such as Play, Stop, Previous track, Next track, Change repeat mode, Change shuffle mode, Change volume (five levels). When you stop the playback of your tunes, playback of the game music will then begin.

Sony has yet to confirm or deny any of this and won't comment on rumour and speculation. If you ask us though, this is bang on the money. Not long to wait and see...

Yay, sounds good.

The comments on that news article are really painful to read.

But also a lot of fun.

Lol, it's laughable. I kinda realised when I was about 12 that no one really gives a shit which console is better. If you like a console, buy it. If you don't like it sod off and don't.

All sounds good...I want this so bad, its so frustrating when it tells you that someone has logged in and you have to stop the game to send them a message. Thats all I care about and trophies, I don't really mind about custom soundtracks so much, I never really used on them on the original xbox.

Just hope this is for real.

I wonder how the trophies will work..Its perhaps likely they will only be awarded as you play through a game, as PS3 save files can be freely distributed, unless it knows if a save file has originated on your console, but then whats to stop you from loading someone elses save and then save that again as your own.

Lol, it's laughable. I kinda realised when I was about 12 that no one really gives a shit which console is better. If you like a console, buy it. If you don't like it sod off and don't.

It makes me cringe when I read people defending multi-billion pound companies out of some kind of imaginary loyalty. :indeed:

All sounds good...I want this so bad, its so frustrating when it tells you that someone has logged in and you have to stop the game to send them a message. Thats all I care about and trophies, I don't really mind about custom soundtracks so much, I never really used on them on the original xbox.

Just hope this is for real.

I wonder how the trophies will work..Its perhaps likely they will only be awarded as you play through a game, as PS3 save files can be freely distributed, unless it knows if a save file has originated on your console, but then whats to stop you from loading someone elses save and then save that again as your own.

Strange that trophies aren't on that list but since Sony have said they'll be in 2.4 I'm still optimistic.

I love custom soundtracks (Burnout's soundtrack is like audio rape as far as I'm concerned. Avril Lavigne ffs...), probably what I'm looking forward to most along with in-game messaging.

Hey hey, you you

I don't like your girlfriend

No way, no way

I think you need a new one

Hey hey, you you

I could be your girlfriend

God its so embarrassing when I find myself singing that song, exactly who did they think would be playing Burnout Paradise?

I know, I'm always about 30 seconds into it before realising I've been bopping along to it. At least the game provides the perfect solution to Avril Lavigne...

Driving into a wall at over 100 mph. :p

LOL!

I really want them to announce firmware 2.50 after this one hits and bring back software BC to the consoles that don't have it. I want to play MGS 3 Subsistence that I go uber cheap compared to ebay prices.

It makes me cringe when I read people defending multi-billion pound companies out of some kind of imaginary loyalty. :indeed:

I know, like some how they're better for owning one console. LOL.

As for trophies I'm really not bothered at all. Hope there's some interesting things to do to get them. Thats why I like achievements, I like feeling like something has actually been achieved.

Hmm US PlayStation Network gets Veronica Belmont and US Xbox Live gets Jessica Chobot.

Veronica Belmont vs Jessica Chobot.

794496257_cc963b8cbf.jpg

285198865_1a0276f183.jpg

jc1.jpg

39617.jpg

Chobot looks like a pre-schooler. Belmont looks sophisticated and sultry.

Chobot gives it out whilst Belmont makes you work for it.

Matter of taste I guess :p

While nice, pics of women taken with gaming hardware like this in order to increase sales always comes across as slightly dumb to me. :indeed:

39617.jpg

^^^ Look!!! I has PSP ... where is "On" button? :heh:

LOL!

I really want them to announce firmware 2.50 after this one hits and bring back software BC to the consoles that don't have it. I want to play MGS 3 Subsistence that I go uber cheap compared to ebay prices.

Ain't gunna happen... I mean, its 'possible' but unlikely.

The 40GB PS3 unlike the hardware and software backwards compatable PS3's lacks both the CPU and GPU of the PS2.

Ain't gunna happen... I mean, its 'possible' but unlikely.

The 40GB PS3 unlike the hardware and software backwards compatable PS3's lacks both the CPU and GPU of the PS2.

Yeah but they did recently advertise for a position working of PS3 emulation software... So you never know. Think about it there has to be a software solution whether it is a viable and workable version is another thing.

I just wish Konami hadn't been so stupid and had released MGS Essential Collection on 1 bluray rather than on original discs.

I just wish Konami hadn't been so stupid and had released MGS Essential Collection on 1 bluray rather than on original discs.

I totally agree :(

I totally agree :(

I bought MGS3 Subsistence as I know it goes for a lot on ebay. But after I complete MGS4 I really wanna play it! I can't buy a PS2 no room for one!

It was made as a PS2 collection though, what would be better is they should get that BC sorted for Europe then they could release it in Europe too, personally though I like having the MGS saga on their original discs with new artwork, I had to buy a proper copy of subsistence as you only get disc 1 with the essential collection but apart from that you get everything that was in the original subsistence / substance versions for less than £20 which is awesome. :smile:

Yeah I've bought subsistence as the original game as I wanted to own all the canon MGS games so needed it for MG and MG2; Solid Snake. I think I may have to try find a slim ps2 on the cheap from somewhere...I can't see it happening any time soon sorting out BC

It's just really dumb though how they implemented the complete emotion engine into 60GB NTSC PS3's, then none for Europe, then they make it for certain models but it's still not classed as "full" BC?

Why not just put the emotion engine into every PS3? they are allready making a huge loss that they don't seem hugely concerned about so whats a few extra mill or w/e on top of that if it makes your consumers happy? :wtf:

It's just really dumb though how they implemented the complete emotion engine into 60GB NTSC PS3's, then none for Europe, then they make it for certain models but it's still not classed as "full" BC?

Why not just put the emotion engine into every PS3? they are allready making a huge loss that they don't seem hugely concerned about so whats a few extra mill or w/e on top of that if it makes your consumers happy? :wtf:

I think it was to help push the price down to a sustainable amount of loss. We have to assume they could not afford to sell at the launch price and make the loss on it they would have and then we have to assume they could not afford to include anything when they made the next price drop (which is when I bought mine)

I think it was to help push the price down to a sustainable amount of loss. We have to assume they could not afford to sell at the launch price and make the loss on it they would have and then we have to assume they could not afford to include anything when they made the next price drop (which is when I bought mine)

Yeah but the loss is allready huge so it would really be a drop in the ever expansive ocean. :heh:

Yeah but the loss is allready huge so it would really be a drop in the ever expansive ocean. :heh:

I know but they will probably still have a certain amount of loss/debt on the playstation hardware section of the business that they want to have/can sustain.

Well.

Yes and no.

Yes, PS3 games are region free IF you have a HDTV.

No, Blu Ray movies are not free, DVD's aren't, PS1 and PS2 games aren't either.