NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

Not a major issue, but that's pretty lame...

Sure is.

Never owned a ps2, so it would have been nice to pick up some of the classics :/

Yeah the 80GB SKU is just the 40GB SKU but with a bigger hard drive...You will be lucky to get a 60GB unless it's second hand. I really wanted one but couldn't find one. There is always hope they add software based emulation again.

Played the force unleashed demo: I couldn't help but think it was a lot like Shadows of the Empire back on the N64. Third person stormtrooper whoppin' with non-descript hallway after hallway finally leading to a meagre set-piece.

A poor demo to release imo. And a title which, ironically, seems a perfect fit for wii.

Played the force unleashed demo: I couldn't help but think it was a lot like Shadows of the Empire back on the N64. Third person stormtrooper whoppin' with non-descript hallway after hallway finally leading to a meagre set-piece.

A poor demo to release imo. And a title which, ironically, seems a perfect fit for wii.

I can't find the demo anywhere on the PSN Store. Where is it?

Getting a PS3 tomorrow for my GCSE results, so I thought I would show my face in here for the first time.

But first, a few dumb questions: If my TV can only cope with 720P, is there any point in getting an HDMI cable? (not one for technicalities); What's backwards compatibility like with PS2 games?

I have a fair idea of what games I want to purchase, but I was hoping I you guys could help me out with any gems I may have overlooked (preferably exclusives, or superior iterations if multiplatform games), and good PSN games, as I have no knowledge of them.

Wishlist :

- Uncharted: Drakes Fortune

- Ratchet and Clank

- Resistance: Fall of Man

- Metal Gear Solid 4

- GT5 Prologue

Good start?

You should definitely get a HDMI cable as you can then upscale DVDs which makes them look better. And as was said, Heavenly Sword I think is excellent.

Does BBC I Player work on the PS3's browser? As I keep getting a javascript error...

Also when I start up Ratchet and Clank, it tells me to close the game and make space on the HDD as you need at least 412mb minimum (i've just got the console and there's 64 gb free space).

I actually really enjoyed the demo, but then the only star wars games I have played is a tiny bit of jedi knight YEARS ago, and KOTR games. I think I will defo be picking this up when it comes out. Wish the framerate was a bit higher though :(

Also, really really get an HDMI cable. Makes everything SOOOOOOOOOOOO much better. Angelina jolie is sitting in my bedroom! (The theme is oooooh so detailed).

EDIT: Just tried the demo of facebreaker and it's pretty good! Was pleasantly surprised! Wonder when that is coming out, along with wipeout HD which just looks fantastic and is a day one purchase for me.

The day is fast approaching where i'm running out of space on my hard-drive too! :shakehead

I reckon i can just about save the remaining games i want on my PS3 this year (unless they do a Hard Drive Install thing)..but next year, i will have to upgrade..Which feels me with a sense of dread..

Does BBC I Player work on the PS3's browser? As I keep getting a javascript error...

Also when I start up Ratchet and Clank, it tells me to close the game and make space on the HDD as you need at least 412mb minimum (i've just got the console and there's 64 gb free space).

I had the same problem, you need to either delete around 500mb of space, or add around 500mb.

Do what I did, and download the Harry potter demo from the psn store ^_^

It's easy to install a new hard drive and it's so much cheaper than the 360 to do it as well. I got a lovely 320gb for my PS3 for £59.99

It's easy to install a new hard drive and it's so much cheaper than the 360 to do it as well. I got a lovely 320gb for my PS3 for £59.99

Easy things ain't that easy for me dude..but i will try when it comes to doing it! :D

I took down the one 'linked' earlier in the thread for future reference..£59.99 for a new Hard-Drive of that size is excellent!

Thanks for the help people - especially T_K, thankyou :).

Just wondering, what resolution should I run on, 720p or 1080i, does it matter? Also if I download a 1080p movie and my Tv can't run 1080p, does it just run the trailer in 1080i?

When I had mine set up I ran it at 720p, I just seemed to get a better quality picture than I did with 1080i.

Half the games I own fo rthe PS3 run in 720p whereas the menu/movies etc are all in 1080i.

Anyone else get this? Wierd?

Thanks for the help people - especially T_K, thankyou :).

Just wondering, what resolution should I run on, 720p or 1080i, does it matter? Also if I download a 1080p movie and my Tv can't run 1080p, does it just run the trailer in 1080i?

What size is your tv?

I have a 26" and I can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080i....but I suppose you could on a bigger screen.

I run mine at 1080i for no particular reason XD

And I think when you download stuff, I think if it says it runs in 1080p, it just means thats the maximum. It will happily run in 720p/1080i

And anytime ^_^

What size is your tv?

I have a 26" and I can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080i....but I suppose you could on a bigger screen.

I run mine at 1080i for no particular reason XD

And I think when you download stuff, I think if it says it runs in 1080p, it just means thats the maximum. It will happily run in 720p/1080i

And anytime ^_^

I have a 32" so I have my ps3 set up to run at 1080p and nothing else. I remember reading that if you did this, the ps3 would try 1080p then if that did not work, it would scale down. If you have the other modes checked, it will use those modes if the given game or download w/e was made with that in mind, so effectually 1080p would hardly get used. I think anyways. I hope im not making this up, but things look beautiful on my PS3 regardless :D

Right, my PS3 has been really loud the past few days and I was wondering if it was normal so I Youtube-d it so lemme know what you all think.

It is definately louder imo. (It's a 40Gb version and I got it on the 29th April '08 btw.) And I've had it cooled down from the house fan and put it next to the window and the same thing happens.

Thoughts anyone?:(

Sounds like the HDD maybe. Have you changed it?

I'd just call Sony though, they are really helpful.

08705 99 88 77

Sounds like the HDD maybe. Have you changed it?

I'd just call Sony though, they are really helpful.

08705 99 88 77

Cheers. Definately the fan, I can hear it coming to a stop after I've turned the system off.

Cheers. Definately the fan, I can hear it coming to a stop after I've turned the system off.

Ah, kk. Best call them then. Is it still in warranty?

Ah, kk. Best call them then. Is it still in warranty?

4 months on...I bloody hope so :p

Yep that defo doesn't sound right tapedeck! First dafts ps3 goin, now urs! who's is next?

Yep that defo doesn't sound right tapedeck! First dafts ps3 goin, now urs! who's is next?

I heard there was a bad batch earlier this year but that should only affect the Blu-Ray diode. That's what happened with mine.

I heard there was a bad batch earlier this year but that should only affect the Blu-Ray diode. That's what happened with mine.

When did u get urs? I got mine near the end of January from Game.