NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
martinist

Gamespot US fires Jeff Gerstmann over Kane & Lynch review

I suppose it comes down to how best the reviewer can break down his or her opinion of a game into detail that can be deamed genuine and reliable.

The worst reviews are those that endlessly gush/slate that you come away from having learnt little about the game, other than that the reviewer liked/disliked it.

I never understand why reviews can't just be a lengthy piece of text. Without some dumb assed score at the end, further broke down into scores for "graphics", etc.

They did that before in a magazine-CGW i think-and everyone hated it. The score is kinda necessary as it quantifies how high on your shopping lists games should go ie. a game scoring a 5-6.5 ish is only for major fans of the genre, where as a 9.5-10 is a must have, or at least rent for all people since it's so damn good, even if your not a major fan of the genre or series it's worth a good hard look.

They did that before in a magazine-CGW i think-and everyone hated it. The score is kinda necessary as it quantifies how high on your shopping lists games should go ie. a game scoring a 5-6.5 ish is only for major fans of the genre, where as a 9.5-10 is a must have, or at least rent for all people since it's so damn good, even if your not a major fan of the genre or series it's worth a good hard look.

I suppose you're right. It's still bloody annoying though! If game reviews were simply text based with two people reviewing it, it would be all a lot more interesting to say the least.

Bah!

Unfortunately most people don't read review, or at least not fully. They go on the score, case point being the infamous TP review...

Well it's obvious that fans who aren't objective wouldn't make very good reviewers, and shouldn't be employed to write them.

The Bard doesn't give a reason, objective or otherwise, why that particular game doesn't deserve to be in that top ten, so I can't comment. Perhaps he has already in another thread?

I don't care about a game's score on Game Rankings, but in the flight simulator review's case, the variety or different perspective you speak of is irrelevant to people who will be interested in the game and makes it a review that can't really be taken seriously.

I have zero interest in football games (or the sport in general), would I be a good choice for a review of the next FIFA or Pro Evolution game? Of course I wouldn't. It'd be a waste of my time writing one, and a waste of other people's time reading it.

I agree, it's better to have a fan of that genre reviewing the game than someone who dislikes it or is new to it. It's also important to review a game for what it is, for example a flight simulator is not going to be a pick up and play accessible fun-fest for the general public, and reviewing it from that point of view is pointless.

As c0Zm1c said about football games,someone who has never played a football game at all will probably not see the faults or improvements compared to someone who buys every footie game on the market. How could someone who had never played a FIFA game review the latest update of FIFA as effectively as someone that had followed the whole series?

That's not to say fans should be writing the reviews - but just the people with the right interests.

I never understand why reviews can't just be a lengthy piece of text. Without some dumb assed score at the end, further broke down into scores for "graphics", etc.

They need to score games so the public can compare them. It's like any mag that tests products, people like to compare products they are going to buy. If you pick up any car mag they will score the vehicles they test drive.

I personally like Gamerankings, as you can see what a game's press average is, which is a very accurate indicator of a game's ture score as it takes into account everyone in the industry from the fans and official mags right through to those who give slighly off and lower scores.

The latest ScrewAttack review on Gametrailers is Super C. Why is it relevant to this thread? At the very end, after waxing lyrical about the game they flash up the vital info that ScrewAttack is not paid by Konami, they just like kick ass games. :p A jab at Gamespot? I'd say so.

The fact that the site takes about half a minute to load should make it easy. I hate Gamespot.

'The Hotspot' which is gamespots weekly podcast is up and the guys talk pretty candidly about everything that's happened in the past week. They all sounds pretty cut up about what’s happened. However they say several times that the K&L review was not the reason for Jeff getting the sack. They say the issue is more complicated then that and that they are pissed about what that reason is but they can't talk about it.

http://uk.gamespot.com/pages/features/hotspot/index.php?id=661&om_act=convert&om_clk=multimodule&tag=multimodule;picks;title;1

Unfortunately most people don't read review, or at least not fully. They go on the score, case point being the infamous TP review...

Oh please, TPs review is a pile of crap it's completly incoherent.

Sign in to follow this