Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

House of the Dead 2/3 Return

pedrocasilva

Guess what popped up at retailers:

hotd23rhd6.png

Source: http://www.gamefly.com/products/detail.asp?pid=129350&t=0&fcTrack=Search

I'd say it's pretty likely now, shame that there's no HotD1 nor HotD4 in the bundle, no doubt due to lazyness (in order to avoid Sega Saturn and Sega Lindberg porting).

I know for one that I'm not the only on-rails shooter enthusiast here though, therefore... I heard this request here before, and seems that we are at least getting partially served.

So... what next? Virtua Cop?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In House of the Dead 2 & 3 return, players will be able to play both versions of the game, battling the relentless attack of bloodthirsty zombies with steady aim and a quick trigger finger. Utilising the innovative new Wii Zapper or the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, players will experience branching storylines with over six game modes including Arcade Mode and Time Attack modes that will test their shooting skills. THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2&3 RETURN features an engaging single-player campaign, plus a co-op multiplayer mode for up to two players for countless hours of zombie shooting action.

“THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD franchise has been revamped for today’s gamer looking for fast-paced shooting action on the Wii” commented Gary Knight, Marketing Director of SEGA Europe. “Utilising the new Wii Zapper, the player can get the renowned light gun experience in their own home.”

THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD is famous for its heart-pounding pace and the great visual detail of the vast armies of unique enemies. Blasting through legions of grotesque zombies and mutated monsters, players eventually face-off against colossal boss creatures that will test the accuracy and skill of every Wii gamer.

THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2&3 RETURNwill be available for the Wii home video game system from Nintendo in spring 2008

So... Why doesn't it include the first one? :heh:
Sega Saturn/Sega Model 2c porting can be a bitch I guess, and a straight port would feature early 3D (meaning bad graphics). Of course I'd rather have them going the extra mile and remake it/upgrade it. But even if it was a straight port... extra value, I guess.

I would like them to update the graphics and everything. If they leave it untouched, then I want HOTD1 in it to compensate.
I bet they'll leave everything as is, I mean... look at Ghost Squad; they might add new modes and all, but enhance the graphics? I doubt it.

HotD3 comes from the same hardware Ghost Squad did, and HotD2 well, comes from Dreamcast, whom Sega has a history of ease of porting to the GC, but I don't remember them actually enhancing those.

The title has the outlines of a quick cash in, but that's not so bad if they're aiming for a £17.99/29.99€ pricetag

Don't know if I'll bother. I've got HOTD2 on Dreamcast, which I do like but I don't love it.
Me too, I have the Japanese version with the lightgun bundled with it.

*rubs eyes*

What's this? Is Sega... growing some kind of common sense? Are they... listening to the fans? And it's not even April 1st!

My reaction in short:

:yay: and:yay: some more.

And, yes, I'd like HotD1 inthere too, but I'm quite happy with HotD2. That hammy voice-acting never gets tired. :heh:

EDIT: Either I'm not looking in the right place, or it has disappeared from the list.

Awesome if true. We're getting a renaissance of lightgun/arcade style shooters! Of course, HotD is one of the classics in the genre. Great to see it coming to Wii. I doubt they'll update the graphics. I'd love to see them do it and pay a 'regular' price for it. If not, it gotta be a budget price.

I believe Konami is also working on an arcade shooter. Might be a port as well. Now, if Namco would release Time Crisis on Wii...

No excuse for it. The Wii is capable of far better than DC graphics.
I don't mind DC geometry in a DC port, but I do mind textures who look like greyscale bitmaps like the first screenshot shows (wall in the back), I mean at least apply some filtering to it, also the scene with the zombie throwing a barrel, the sky should be brighter, bloomier... Not to mention 16:9 support, that has to be added; it should be standard now.

And if they really want to go for "value" instead of going the extra mile, they should at least port HotD1 too.

Actually, that wall is exactly the same as in the DC-version. It's only the version of HotD2 on HotD3 on Xbox that had the pixels eradicated. On DC, there are pixelated textures withour proper MIP-mapping. So, yes, this looks like a straight DC-port. And HotD3 looks pretty much the same as on Xbox. The zombies always had a cartoony feel to it. not so remarkable given the first artistic direction of HotD3. :wink:

HotD3 as is was supposed to look:

hotd_screen002.jpg

hotd_screen001.jpg

Anyway, here are some arcade/DC/Xbox-shots, so you can see it's pretty accurate, for better and for worse...

6670nm3.jpg

hod2_screen029.jpg

hod2_screen015.jpg

dead_screen020.jpg

house-dead-iii-3.jpg

HotD2 had pixelated textures, bar from the version on Xbox, at the cost of a stable framerate.

I just hope they include the option for red blood. Every consoleversion had that, except for HotD1 on Saturn.. which was an unbelievably bad version of the arcade, by the way. If they include HotD1 as an unlockable, I hope they make it the arcade version.

I don't mind DC geometry in a DC port, but I do mind textures who look like greyscale bitmaps like the first screenshot shows (wall in the back), I mean at least apply some filtering to it, also the scene with the zombie throwing a barrel, the sky should be brighter, bloomier... Not to mention 16:9 support, that has to be added; it should be standard now.

And if they really want to go for "value" instead of going the extra mile, they should at least port HotD1 too.

I don't mind DC geometry either, but I'd want much better textures, prog scan, widescreen support, better lighting, and everything else which can be improved.

http://www.cubed3.com/news/9069/1/First_House_of_the_Dead_Screenshots

Nintendo Wii Media | First House of the Dead Screenshots

It's Zombie time! Sega have revealed the first screenshots of the recently confirmed revival of the House of the Dead series on the Wii.

[screens already posted on previous page]

Features single-player campaign and two player co-op play.

Arcade mode and time attack mode are examples of 6 different game modes.

"THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD franchise has been revamped for today’s gamer looking for fast-paced shooting action on the Wii. Utilising the new Wii Zapper, the player can get the renowned light gun experience in their own home."

Gary Knight, Marketing Director of SEGA Europe.

They really should put some effort into smoothing the graphics out and re-doing some of the effects that look rubbish, like the rain!

It's just pure lazyness from Sega!