N-Europe

Native Screen Resolution

Slaggis

I was just wondering, if I had a laptop with a native resolution of 1680 x 1050 , would the screen go "blurry-ish" if I decreased it to 1440x900 for general web surfing/ word processing etc?

I've looked on the internet and it says if I decrease the native resolution on a "truelife" display (i.e dell) then it goes blurry. It's just I don't want to buy a laptop where if I decrease the resolution to 1440x900 for some games/ surfing etc it makes things look blurry and different to a laptop that already has a native resolution of 1440x900. (Like mine at the moment)

Can anyone confirm this/tell me it's crap?

(I probably made no sense in the above post)

edit: also, is text etc very small on a resolution of that size? (15.4 inch screen)

I've got two 20inch widescreen monitors, both 1680x1050 and it's certainly noticeable when it's not the native resolution.

Generally, these kind of screens need to be at their native resolution unless CRTs.

I've even had people come to me complaining their screen is all blurry and a simple resolution fix solved it.

I don't get it. Why don't you want to get the most out of your computer? If you really want a smaller resolution, than don't pay for a screen that can do so much more. And every textprocessor, and every web browser - well, any application - let's you enlarge the text or parts of the text, or even the images. Untill I had my glasses, I couldn't read on a 1024x768 display. So I used the zoom included with macosX and when reading wikipedia, I always made the text a tad larger. I don't ssee the problem, but I do see someone who's wasting screen estate. Like building a giant shed where you could have had a villa.

I don't get it. Why don't you want to get the most out of your computer? If you really want a smaller resolution, than don't pay for a screen that can do so much more. And every textprocessor, and every web browser - well, any application - let's you enlarge the text or parts of the text, or even the images. Untill I had my glasses, I couldn't read on a 1024x768 display. So I used the zoom included with macosX and when reading wikipedia, I always made the text a tad larger. I don't ssee the problem, but I do see someone who's wasting screen estate. Like building a giant shed where you could have had a villa.

I've explained already jasper. I want the resolution for things like photoshop etc, I can fit more on screen at once. But I wanted to use a lower resolution for some other things like web surfing or word processing, and games that don't support the higher resolution.

Yes I know you can zoom stuff in and enlarge other things but I'd rather, as I've stated, have the option not too and I wanted to know if the quality would decrease if I did use a lower resolution. Simple.

I've explained already jasper. I want the resolution for things like photoshop etc, I can fit more on screen at once. But I wanted to use a lower resolution for some other things like web surfing or word processing, and games that don't support the higher resolution.

Yes I know you can zoom stuff in and enlarge other things but I'd rather, as I've stated, have the option not too and I wanted to know if the quality would decrease if I did use a lower resolution. Simple.

Don't lie.

Don't lie.

Don't be an arse.

It's just I don't want to buy a laptop where if I decrease the resolution to 1440x900 for some games/ surfing etc it makes things look blurry and different to a laptop that already has a native resolution of 1440x900. (Like mine at the moment)

I was just wondering, if I had a laptop with a native resolution of 1680 x 1050 , would the screen go "blurry-ish" if I decreased it to 1440x900 for general web surfing/ word processing etc?

Im confused. Heres my guess at what you want to know:

Anyway 1440x900 is very high for a 15.4" display. It's a classic 19" resolution, so things do look a tad odd. Windows does have some Resolution Independence support, meaning you can run certain elements of you're display enlarged so they aren't too small or blurry.

I'd either do that or buy a screen with a lower resolution, dropping the res below screen native looks shite. Also, games are very demanding at that resolution, you'd get better performance at a lower res

EDIT: Just realised my bro uses a laptop at that res. The text is pretty small, smaller than normal anyway

Don't be an arse.

Those quotes didn't staéte the purpose for a higher resolution, now did they? So I naturally assumed that you could live with a lower resolution nonetheless. I still find it pretty useless to switch between resolutions, while upscaling the vector-based text (that doesn't go blurry, because it's all vector!) so you can easely surg the web. Only the games option might be a problem, but hey - you're on a Nintendo forum. So you thought graphics mattered? Pah! That's what I say! Pah! Now I'm going to sit and cry in a corner because my Wii can't output HD.

I understand the games reason (although most run perfectly fine in 1680x1050), but I don't see why you would decrease the resolution for web browsing and the likes. It's not much of a step back at all (won't make that much of a difference in screen layout) and the upscaling would make text look slightly weird. 1680x1050 is excellent for web browsing I can tell from my own experience.

Those quotes didn't staéte the purpose for a higher resolution, now did they? So I naturally assumed that you could live with a lower resolution nonetheless. I still find it pretty useless to switch between resolutions, while upscaling the vector-based text (that doesn't go blurry, because it's all vector!) so you can easely surg the web. Only the games option might be a problem, but hey - you're on a Nintendo forum. So you thought graphics mattered? Pah! That's what I say! Pah! Now I'm going to sit and cry in a corner because my Wii can't output HD.

Please stop, you're starting such a stupid number of unnecessary fights. What does it matter to you how someone chooses to use their display? And calling someone a liar outright like that was rude and flamebaiting. Yellow infraction issued, time to stop being such a prat.

A lie is a type of deception in the form of an untruthful statement with the intention to deceive, often with the further intention to maintain a secret or reputation, or to avoid punishment. To lie is to state something one believes is false with the intention that it be taken for the truth by someone else. A liar is a person who is lying, who has lied, or who lies repeatedly.
Liar is too strong a word. And your infraction was for moving on to fanboyish nintend/wii comments. If you want to question an infraction further please do it by PM rather than disrupting a thread....

Uh? Fanboyism? Now honestly, that was the joke. That's why I started talking about me crying? That was a joke. It was meant like one. In what other conversation would anyone say 'pah!'?

But okay, I'll quit it now. But I still don't think it's fair, but I'll just rest my case.

Sorry for calling you a liar, Haggis. Didin't mean to insult anyone, was just questioning the fact that you said you said something you never said. And before things get to complicated in my sentences, I'm really saying sorry, dude.

The laptop arrived and 1650x1050 soesn't make things as small as I thought it would, but like other people said, when I decrease the resolution it does make it go blurry etc. I'm not sure about in game though, I'll have to see, but hopefully it won't look to bad.

Thanks for the help anyway guys.