N-Europe

Screencaps/Frame Grabs From a Video File

Bluejay

I want to take some captures from some videos I have so I use them for my media and as far as I know, pressing printscreen won't work?(that is something I really should have checked before hitting new thread:heh: )

So I need a simple, free program to take pics please.

I'm on XP and playing the videos in VLC if it makes a difference.

Convert the movies to .mov files then open them in quicktime player (you can get it from apple's website if you don't have it). in .mov files every frame is a jpeg and you can just drag and drop the jpegs into a folder.

As for a program to convert them to .mov files I don't know any freeware programs that will do that for you.

Please let me know if this works as I don't know if you can do it in the normal quicktime version and may need pro. Or perhaps the PC version doesn't have this feature.

Convert the movies to .mov files then open them in quicktime player (you can get it from apple's website if you don't have it). in .mov files every frame is a jpeg and you can just drag and drop the jpegs into a folder.

As for a program to convert them to .mov files I don't know any freeware programs that will do that for you.

Please let me know if this works as I don't know if you can do it in the normal quicktime version and may need pro. Or perhaps the PC version doesn't have this feature.

Thanks, but converting all the files is surely a lot more effort than is neccessary.

There must be a program that can take framegrabs? Anyone?

EDIT: I have just found that holding shift while pressing print screen does the job.

Easiest solution ever.

THis can be locked now sirs.

hahaha

In VLC theres an option in one of the menu's called "Save Image" Or "Screen Grab" that will do the job. I'm not sure, I use MPC.

the way i do it: (probably alot more hassle)

right click on your main screen and go to properties - settings - troubleshoot - put hardware accellaration to none

then hit print screen when youve loaded your dvd up - then open up psp or photoshop - paste as a new image - then crop the screen

its prob very bad for your computer but i dunno :D

This is completely false information. Mov is a container like avi, mkv or mp4. These days most movs tend to be h264, certainly not jpeg.

He would have been right. Five years back, though, when .mov was just a JPEG container. You know, like Nintendo that's running behing just as much...

God trust you to jump to him getting an apple product.

Especially when VLC has a creen grab function built in.

God trust you to jump to him getting an apple product.

Especially when VLC has a creen grab function built in.

Oh,come on. He was just saying a solution he knew,I'm growing sick of you people saying it's a crap solution because it' a apple. At least he tried to help, like most apple fans try to do, even if you're on windows...

Oh,come on. He was just saying a solution he knew,I'm growing sick of you people saying it's a crap solution because it' a apple. At least he tried to help, like most apple fans try to do, even if you're on windows...

Yeah, windows users never help people.

Exactly it was the first solution that came to mind.

May I remind you that this is the Internet.

It is a shitty solution because it's apple.

It is a shitty solution because it's apple.

That again? I'm not doing this all over, but you're really pathetic. Taking snaps with Quicktime is no different from taking snaps with VLC, so it's is not a shitty solution, since you haven't got a leg to stand on. Oh yeah, because it's Apple, it's shitty. Because, well, every review of Leopard recommends leopard over Vista. Oh, and because Apple has the largest share in MP3-players. Or maybe because Apple made the Personal Computer a thing avaible to everyone? Or was it the moment that they introduced their mass-market GUI? No, they suck because they made a printer at home popular and ready for the mass-market. They probably suck because of all that. Man, Apple really sucks if you look at all those reasons...

Next time you start bashing just because the solution uses something Apple, make sure you've got some solid ground to stand on, okay?

And before we start all that again, this post is just here to clarify something: not spark another apple vs. microsoft thread, cause that'll end in misery. I'm not saying that Apple is super-duper great with this post, I'm saying that you shouldn't say they're shitty without any reason, just like I won't say Microsoft is shitty for the sake of being shitty. They make quite good stuff, too, and I love using Windows once in a while. They make good games. But I digress. This post is here to tell all you simply-nay-sayers, without any grounds to stand on, to stop bashing everyone who says the word 'Apple'. Using Quicktime for screencaps works just as well, so don't say it's a shitty solution.

That again? I'm not doing this all over, but you're really pathetic. Taking snaps with Quicktime is no different from taking snaps with VLC, so it's is not a shitty solution, since you haven't got a leg to stand on. Oh yeah, because it's Apple, it's shitty. Because, well, every review of Leopard recommends leopard over Vista. Oh, and because Apple has the largest share in MP3-players. Or maybe because Apple made the Personal Computer a thing avaible to everyone? Or was it the moment that they introduced their mass-market GUI? No, they suck because they made a printer at home popular and ready for the mass-market. They probably suck because of all that. Man, Apple really sucks if you look at all those reasons...

Next time you start bashing just because the solution uses something Apple, make sure you've got some solid ground to stand on, okay?

And before we start all that again, this post is just here to clarify something: not spark another apple vs. microsoft thread, cause that'll end in misery. I'm not saying that Apple is super-duper great with this post, I'm saying that you shouldn't say they're shitty without any reason, just like I won't say Microsoft is shitty for the sake of being shitty. They make quite good stuff, too, and I love using Windows once in a while. They make good games. But I digress. This post is here to tell all you simply-nay-sayers, without any grounds to stand on, to stop bashing everyone who says the word 'Apple'. Using Quicktime for screencaps works just as well, so don't say it's a shitty solution.

no u

10chr

No it isn't! end of story.

It kinda is, not because it is apple, but because it is convoluted and unnessecarry. The fact that it is an apple product is irrelevent.

This thread has served its course. Many a solution has been found.