NEurope

Can you specify a size for that hoodie? I want it, but may be too fat.

They are large.

No high res media let alone HD. Looking much better.Stages are interactive, Dynamic day and night to breakable objects and lots of animation. Animation has been redone in this game for all characters.

Not so High Definition

Digital Foundry's shock of the week: Tekken 6, one of the most anticipated fighting games of the year, has an ugly secret. Blocky, blurred and clearly upscaled, it is the latest example of the "not so high definition" generation: games designed for HD consoles that fall short of the visual quality we should be expecting from our hardware.

The rumours surrounding Namco's flagship fighting game - going cross-platform for the first time - have been floating around tech forums for the last couple of weeks, based on screenshots from various sources, none of them conclusive. Analysis of Xbox 360 screens released to date reveals native resolutions of anything from 1280x720, to 1360x768 to full-on 1080p. On the other hand, PS3 assets released so far reveal a disappointing 1024x576 resolution - over 33 per cent of the 720p detail gone, just like that.

The disparity between the available Xbox 360 shots was enough for Digital Foundry to suspect that something was clearly amiss, and based on the preview code we have available, direct HDMI dumps reveal a 1024x576 framebuffer on default settings. All of which sounds like another cross-format catastrophe, but the reality is somewhat more intriguing and, at the same time, rather bizarre.

So, in the case of a game as anticipated as Tekken 6, is there no hope that the game might actually run at proper 720p? We only have preview code, right? What about optimisation? Well, short of the developers completely binning off a lot of the work on their current engine (which we suspect is derived from the Soul Calibur IV code), it's unlikely that the core rendering techniques will change that dramatically when the game finally ships. If it does, we'll be sure to tell you.

But here's where things get very, very weird. Indeed, Tekken 6 is the most bizarre game we've ever analysed in that with just one option tweak you can get the game running in excess of 1280x720, on Xbox 360 at least.

The reason that 1024x576 resolution has been introduced is to accommodate the dynamic motion blur system that Namco-Bandai has added to the game. Similar to Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2, this effect is realistically calculated in order to produce the effect of motion smoother than the actual frame-rate. It actually works rather well, and the developers have added code that makes the game arguably look superior in some respects to the higher resolution mode.

Not so High Definition

Digital Foundry's shock of the week: Tekken 6, one of the most anticipated fighting games of the year, has an ugly secret. Blocky, blurred and clearly upscaled, it is the latest example of the "not so high definition" generation: games designed for HD consoles that fall short of the visual quality we should be expecting from our hardware.

The rumours surrounding Namco's flagship fighting game - going cross-platform for the first time - have been floating around tech forums for the last couple of weeks, based on screenshots from various sources, none of them conclusive. Analysis of Xbox 360 screens released to date reveals native resolutions of anything from 1280x720, to 1360x768 to full-on 1080p. On the other hand, PS3 assets released so far reveal a disappointing 1024x576 resolution - over 33 per cent of the 720p detail gone, just like that.

The disparity between the available Xbox 360 shots was enough for Digital Foundry to suspect that something was clearly amiss, and based on the preview code we have available, direct HDMI dumps reveal a 1024x576 framebuffer on default settings. All of which sounds like another cross-format catastrophe, but the reality is somewhat more intriguing and, at the same time, rather bizarre.

So, in the case of a game as anticipated as Tekken 6, is there no hope that the game might actually run at proper 720p? We only have preview code, right? What about optimisation? Well, short of the developers completely binning off a lot of the work on their current engine (which we suspect is derived from the Soul Calibur IV code), it's unlikely that the core rendering techniques will change that dramatically when the game finally ships. If it does, we'll be sure to tell you.

But here's where things get very, very weird. Indeed, Tekken 6 is the most bizarre game we've ever analysed in that with just one option tweak you can get the game running in excess of 1280x720, on Xbox 360 at least.

The reason that 1024x576 resolution has been introduced is to accommodate the dynamic motion blur system that Namco-Bandai has added to the game. Similar to Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2, this effect is realistically calculated in order to produce the effect of motion smoother than the actual frame-rate. It actually works rather well, and the developers have added code that makes the game arguably look superior in some respects to the higher resolution mode.

Doesnt matter really. Its not like its exclusive or anything so has to prove itself. Its been years since the last Tekken and i have been playing dark resurrection in anticipation. The arcade machine at my local place is always broken so this should be great.

Game is gold.

Online features sound good!

http://ps3.kombo.com/article.php?artid=11042

Namco Bandai revealed today the extent of the online capabilities in the upcoming Tekken 6. In this area the game seems to be offering a little more than most recent fighters have.

The first new major online feature for Tekken 6 is the co-op option for the game's brawler adventure mode which will be added as free DLC this winter. This is probably an equivalent to the brawler minigame that appeared in Tekken 5 but will now support up to two players online.

Returning from Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection on the PSP is the ability to create and download "ghosts". Like in that game, players can create and upload AI-controlled fighters that replicate their fighting style to be downloaded by others as a sort of backup for true online competition.

Tekken 6 will also incorporate full leaderboards for each individual mode and difficulty both online and offline. Battle points earned online will be ranked in different regions.

All of these features are probably for the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game. It is unclear how many of these features will make it into the PSP version slated for release a month after the console versions. Since the ghost feature originated from a PSP game it's safe to at least assume that will make it into the PSP version of Tekken 6.

The PS3 version of Tekken 6 will also support Playstation Home. Players will be able to host versus and co-op matches from the lounge in Home. Playing Tekken 6 will net decorative rewards to be used in Home.

All of this comes on top of the standard ranked matches and unranked matches online matches that are also available in recent current generation fighters like Street Fighter IV and Soul Calibur IV. Since the fighting genre has formally adopted online play on the PS3 and Xbox360, most of these games have simply stopped at those two basic modes. Tekken 6 seems to be taking things a step further when the console versions come out at the end of this month.

433272_full.jpg

438166_full.jpg

438060_full.jpg

Getting it in December. I think I've bought every Tekken game apart from Tag Team on consoles. The fuck am I fighting ranked online though..

Tag was probably the best of the bunch. Will definitely pick this up this year though, really feel like it's time for me to master a fighting game, especially one from my favourite series.

Play UK magazine gave it a 94.....

There are flaws that hurt the experience, but nothing, nothing stops Tekken 6 from being an intense, tactical and utterly brilliant fighting game, perfect for anyone with even a fleeting interest in the genre.

Its been huge in the arcades since its release so no surprise its going to be good. It has a level of polish the other fighters dont have and Namco could have easily done the Bloodline Rebellion update afterwards like Tekken 5 or SSF4. :D

The extras sound great too and Namco Bandai are also saying we will have some free DLC after launch too.

Probably my most awaited game right now. Its been a while since a new Tekken.

nothing too hard. Maybe time consuming. I think i may aim for platinum.

Sf4's trophies were abit much lol.

Just thought about the game for a moment, and came to the realisation that for me, no Playstation system will ever be complete without this game. I look forward to the time when I come to look through the collection and see that Tekken's box is lying there, always ready to be played.

The series really is great, just not really appreciated by this forum.

Just thought about the game for a moment, and came to the realisation that for me, no Playstation system will ever be complete without this game. I look forward to the time when I come to look through the collection and see that Tekken's box is lying there, always ready to be played.

The series really is great, just not really appreciated by this forum.

Ok lets get the banter going...I'm gonna slap your bitch ass with Forest Law :bouncy:

I'll give you the low-down. I'm gonna upper-cut you in the stomach, keep my fist in your stomach, then maniacally laugh whilst throwing you over my head and into the floor. Then whenever you feel like you can get up there's a flying leg kick for you to endure.

I can't wait for this game! I've always loved the Tekken games, can't wait to master everyone all over again!

Well I was happy i could pre-order it for sub £30 as that's my limit. Could be getting this and GOW I+II on the same day...maybe I can fit in a bit of ninja gaiden too...

That a new secret character?

I'd like to know, are there any cross-platform bonuses between the PSP and PS3 versions?

I preordered from GAME today for the bonus reward card points mainly. Just checked my email a few minutes ago and it says that the Game is on it's way. I wonder how badly affected the Postal strikes will be for my area.

Saw it being played at this anime expo I went to. Looks bad ass. Lines were too long to wait around in so I didn't get to play it..

I might pick this up although (please don't stone me) I didn't like Street Fighter IV much. Then again I was never a huge SF anyway, I'm a Soul Calibur man through and through so this does interest me.

Loving the co-op campaign thingy.

Cant wait. Been practising Tekken 5 DR. Think i may learn a new character. Perhaps Lars? or Miguel? :grin:

Very full featured. I know i will dig in lol. Should have it by Wednesday.

Sign in to follow this