NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Strange Cookie

Ikaruga

A recent stroll around eBay has bagged me a nice copy of Ikaruga! :yay:

Stupid thing is, I once had Ikaruga, but sold it together with my GameCube. A shame, because it's really a great ol-skool hard-as-nails (puzzle)shooter! Here's to more hours filled with frustration and broken controllers, and loving every minute of it! :smile:

It's coming to 360 Arcade too, but since I don't have my consoles hooked up on the net, this'll do nicely.

Yep, they don't make 'em like they used to. Saying that makes me feel very, very old...

ikaruga_c.jpgikaruga_b.jpg

Madness in visual form

Well, it would appear that they made this one like they used to... :heh:

havent played this in a long time.. it's as tough as nails ....and it's made as they used to make things..

Can see the achivements on the 360.. survive for 10 seconds.. 200 points..

survive for 20 seconds 200 points..

Seeing this thread reminded me of something.

Has anyone here chosen the aspect ratio that requires you to turn your TV on its side? It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I doubt many people actually tried it.

Has anyone here chosen the aspect ratio that requires you to turn your TV on its side?

I tried it, but is was pretty pointless. I had a CRT-telly back then, but given that it's rather bad for the tube (and not very stable), I quickly abandoned the idea. Now I have a LCD-screen so no tilting for me! :heh:

Well, it would appear that they made this one like they used to...

Actually, they still make these kind of shooters. Too bad they are so very niche.I just like saying that sentence, as it fills me with the illusion that I am old and wise. Well, the old is barely an illusion, though. :wink:

IKARUGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I've only played this game once at a friends house. But I love vertical shmups, and this is supposedly one of the best. It can't come to XBLA fast enough.

This game is class- I got it a few years ago in game for £9.99 and was absolutely delighted. It is hard as nails but really satisfying when you make it through sections without using any lives. I remember getting through the first 2 stages without wasting a life and I felt invincible :heh:

Treasure ftw :smile:

Ah, it arrived yesterday... and it's even harderer then I remember. I was lucky to finish the first level! Insanity, but the good kind! :smile: Classic!

While flipping through the manual, I saw a safetywarning that household TV's shouldn't be turned on their sides, and the vertical display should only be used for special monitors. I wonder how many people connected their GC up to a sideleaning-compatible monitor. Could the GC be connected to a PC-monitor? Can't remember, really...

Instead of placing your TV on it's side, lay flat on your side. That's what I did.. once..

I also tried playing the game in this setting whilst sitting upright so that your ship was going across the screen. Man that was hard..

I've been playing this game recently, I finally managed to beat the 2nd boss. I died soon after on the 3rd level though :(

I have this game for about 3 years and I have yet to see the 3rd boss.

I played 'trail' yesterday, just to got a feel for it again. The game sure knows it's own nature. At the end of the trial-mode, the message says "Rome wasn't built in a day!"

Wow, that's some motivational speech. :wink:

Must... try... harder...

Must... train... more...

Must... get... better...

I tried it, but is was pretty pointless.

It's given you the "tate mode" for playing it as it was designed in the arcade original.

The game sure knows it's own nature. At the end of the trial-mode, the message says "Rome wasn't built in a day!"[/Quote]

Heh...too right it knows it's own nature. But this game is as much about memory as it is about quick reflexes. I can't remember any messages like that in the GC version, but there are some videos that showed you how to chain consistently through each chapter. I remember the beginning level 2 being kinda cool. After that is just got kinda silly :heh:

I thought about looking to pick this game up as well, Ive got a lot of time for good old school shooters but having a few of them on a couple of platforms im thinking should I really bother?

Maybe Ill pick it eventually, looks good.

to be honnest I only plug my Cube in to play Soul calibur 2 these days (or maybe time splitters), and maybe a ten/fifteen minute blast on one of my other games, play more DS these days or a PS2 or the PSP ive just bought 2nd hand.

At the end of the trial-mode, the message says "Rome wasn't built in a day!"

I shed a tear.

I own this game and though I'm quite happy with it (I'm not getting any younger, and it's really hard to find any worthwhile games out there, reminding me of the games as I used to know them, back in the day), Ikaruga sure is a polished, old-fashioned shooter, but, as people have already stated in here, it's hard. Very hard. I'm still to see the boss of the third level for myself, and I own this game for two years, now...

Still, multiplayer is as fun as it gets with these kind of games.

Turns out a friend of mine had this game, he's lent it to me (in no hurry to get it back which is good, lol), Still getting into this one, it good, but maybe ill like it more once ive played it a bit more.

one of the best i ever played only WAY to short. I wish they would continue it with only loads of more levels to play!

Gotta get this one day along with Odama and some of the other stranger GC exclusive games I don't have yet. Giftpia, Cubivore among others...

I never managed to get past the second level but I loved it either way.

Sign in to follow this