Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Origins of the Universe

Slaggis

Pointless as it may be, it still holds that we cannot claim objective truth, only what we perceive to be truthful.

And the word 'subjective' as the anti-thesis of 'objective' works fine here (i.e. the human as the subject), but as with most things in philosophy it has various meanings, especially when you add the -ism suffix (see Objectivism).

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a constructivist, isn't it impossible to prove the existence of other sentient people? I mean you can prove to yourself that there are other people walking around, but you can never prove that they have an active mind, can you? Could that not lead to the idea that the entire world, if not the universe has been put in place just for you, because (as you know yourself) you know you cannot and did not create the universe, but at least what you perceive to be out there exists. So therefore, must not there have been some higher power that created the universe as you know it?

The universe is just a field of energy, and our minds, our perception of what is real and what isn't is just one ripple in it, and it only makes sense because the ripple itself could not exist if it didn't - the engergy would not be 'solid' enough to be a ripple if what it creates is not possible. But there's no telling whether time is the flow, or if it is still just the drop, or if when you wake up tomorrow you're still the same person you were yesterday, and that your 'memories' ever actually happened, and all you can trust is the present - the infinitely insignificant moment that is occuring in the now, the transitional past, could be all there is. There is no way of disproving that.

Well yeah, all that sort of stuff is possible. It is unlikely, and its the same sort of arrogant wish-thinking that makes up so much of organised religion, but nonetheless possible. It doesn't mean there's a bunch of special aliens with special sensory abilities out there, it simply means that we can't claim a monopoly on 'what is', because we can't possibly know.

Constructivism is one of the major modern schools of thinking, and not just in philosophy (i.e. Human rights as a Western conception, the Protestant emphasis on the individual).

Well yeah, all that sort of stuff is possible. It is unlikely, and its the same sort of arrogant wish-thinking that makes up so much of organised religion, but nonetheless possible. It doesn't mean there's a bunch of special aliens with special sensory abilities out there, it simply means that we can't claim a monopoly on 'what is', because we can't possibly know.

Constructivism is one of the major modern schools of thinking, and not just in philosophy (i.e. Human rights as a Western conception, the Protestant emphasis on the individual).

Awww... c'mon! Make this debate more interesting. I'm sorry I tried to label you as a theory-follower - I just meant for you to lead with your own beliefs and follow them with proof. I love this sort of debate. I love wondering just how different these perspectives all are, i mean just what would it take for a philosopical theory (in particular) to be granted irrelevant?

• 6 months later...

I believe that God created the universe like it is written in the Bible:

Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth."

The world is so beautiful and wonderful and you can also see from nature many sides of God. In the world only the time has changed but the nature hasn´t changed like God hasn´t changed but He remains the same as the Bible says:

Hebrews 13:8 "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever."

I believe that God created the universe like it is written in the Bible:

Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth."

The world is so beautiful and wonderful and you can also see from nature many sides of God. In the world only the time has changed but the nature hasn´t changed like God hasn´t changed but He remains the same as the Bible says:

Hebrews 13:8 "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever."

nature has changed though, the environment changes constantly, as a result, species of animals evolve and die out. the giant sloth no longer exists, yet we see that at one time it did, as did saber tooth tigers.

sea shells and aquatic creature fossils have been found on mountains, proving that the surface of the earth changes.

and dinosaurs, they existed and died out, again showing the one universal factor of nature is that its constantly changing.

Guest Jordan

Again, do not bump threads.

Also... stop being preachy. If you bump another thread a warning infraction will be issued.

[thread locked]

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!