NEurope
McPhee

PC Gaming Discussion

I've been thinking about upgrading to a 970 as well recently (I currently have a 460 1GB non-SE). That's going to mean having to update my motherboard though, which means updating my CPU and a new OS (since my current one is an OEM), and if I'm doing that, I should probably thrown in an SSD, and a new power supply might be a necessity with all of that, although my current one is an OCZ 700 watt, so I might be okay... At least my RAM and case are still good.

The 970 is an amazing piece of kit for the price. Personally I'm waiting to see AMD's answer then might upgrade. Although I've only had my R9 270X for about 12 months. But the VRAM is a bottleneck with the latest titles demanding more and more of it. I suspect the unified RAM in the current gen consoles is playing a big part of that.

[..]

@Sméagol: Yeah, it's a really nice game actually, but I don't know if I would go for that now, as the player rate is dropping. I would probably go for CoD AW, as it gives more weapons, different play styles and way more players. But I dont know. I had a really great time with Titanfall when it came out. Calling in a titan for the first time... Damn. That's one of the coolest moments I've had in modern games. *chills*

Yeah, I think I´m slightly regretting it. I know the game´s cool, I played the beta earlier this year. Player rate isn´t really a problem yet, I can find games in the mode I play most (Variety pack). But I can´t really keep up with the current players, plus I expected there to be more weapons and mods in the full game, since some CoD veterans worked on it. Oh and the player rate does seem to be a problem on the DLC maps..

I didn't mention this before, but I bought the Square Enix surprise box, which contains 6 mystery Steam keys. I found out about it by chance, and Square Enix occasionally has better deals than Steam themselves, and I like surprises sometimes, so I thought it couldn't hurt to spend € 6,50. If I don't like the games, I'll gift or trade the keys.

But I've been Googling. They did this last year as well apparently, and these ended up being the contents:

http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/time-open-square-enix-christmas-surprise-box'

(Tomb Raider, Just Cause 2, Dungeon Siege 3, and Hitman: blood money)

Apparently they got a lot of flak for the contents.. Which I really don't get. Idiots. Don't get a surprise box if you can't deal with surprises. I don't care for the other games, but I would've been very happy with Tomb Raider alone, and again, I would've gifted or traded the other keys. I saw someone correctly guess Tomb Raider would be included from simply looking at the system requirements. For this year, I see someone guessing Murdered: soul suspect to be included for the same reason, and that's a game I'd be happy about. One of the major complaints last year was the lack of Final Fantasy, so I expect one FF game to be included, which I personally don't care about. Further speculation involves Nosgoth DLC, also something I don't care about. I´m hoping for one of the 2 Tomb Raider co-op games. Anyway, I'm looking forward to see what the contents are, which will be revealed tomorrow.

For anyone else who likes surprises, you have until tomorrow 12:00pm (GMT).

https://store.eu.square-enix.com/emea_europe/games/pc-windows-download/The-Square-Enix-Christmas-Surprise.php#

Edited by Sméagol

Yeah I bought that box as well, figured it was cheap enough that I wouldn't be too bothered if I didn't get something I wanted. Hoping one will be FFXIII though.

I didn't mention this before, but I bought the Square Enix surprise box, which contains 6 mystery Steam keys. I found out about it by chance, and Square Enix occasionally has better deals than Steam themselves, and I like surprises sometimes, so I thought it couldn't hurt to spend € 6,50. If I don't like the games, I'll gift or trade the keys.

But I've been Googling. They did this last year as well apparently, and these ended up being the contents:

http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/time-open-square-enix-christmas-surprise-box'

(Tomb Raider, Just Cause 2, Dungeon Siege 3, and Hitman: blood money)

Apparently they got a lot of flak for the contents.. Which I really don't get. Idiots. Don't get a surprise box if you can't deal with surprises. I don't care for the other games, but I would've been very happy with Tomb Raider alone, and again, I would've gifted or traded the other keys. I saw someone correctly guess Tomb Raider would be included from simply looking at the system requirements. For this year, I see someone guessing Murdered: soul suspect to be included for the same reason, and that's a game I'd be happy about. One of the major complaints last year was the lack of Final Fantasy, so I expect one FF game to be included, which I personally don't care about. Further speculation involves Nosgoth DLC, also something I don't care about. I´m hoping for one of the 2 Tomb Raider co-op games. Anyway, I'm looking forward to see what the contents are, which will be revealed tomorrow.

For anyone else who likes surprises, you have until tomorrow 12:00pm (GMT).

https://store.eu.square-enix.com/emea_europe/games/pc-windows-download/The-Square-Enix-Christmas-Surprise.php#

For the price you pay the contents are pretty good. I missed the deadline for this....

But "thankfully" it's Steam Sale starting day so plenty of chances for my money to get taken

So.. What did I get for € 6,50 (£ 5,-)?

Thief - The master thief edition - Not interested.

The last remnant - Yes, I'll try a JRPG thanks!

Murdered: soul suspect - I wanted this!

Lara Croft and the guardian of light - I wanted this as well!

Deus ex - The fall - Not.. interested in this, but I'll play through it once for the lore.

Nosgoth founders - Warlord pack - Not interested in this, but thinking of giving it a try regardless.

And some discount vouchers for the new Lara Croft co-op game, FF XIII-2, and FF III.

I may get the new Lara Croft game as well, I already own FF III on the 3DS. Any recommendations for the latest FF? I believe there's a thread, I'll check there.

Anyway, for me personally, this surprise box has been gold. But I guess this isn't much of a deal for people who make use of Steam sales often, and already have a lot of Square Enix games. I only had Deus Ex and Tomb Raider. But yeah, 3 out of 6 for € 6,50 is not too shabby, plus an "interactive story" (The fall), and some discounts.

If anyone wants to trade Thief or Nosgoth, I'm open to offers. Like I said, I may try Nosgoth anyway, but after a couple of Steam reviews, I think I'm unlikely to give Thief a try.

Edit:

Here's the code for the discount on FF III (steam). This is for the Square Enix store.

GFISVBKJ

It's cheaper than currently on Steam.

Edited by Sméagol

Yeah I think you got your moneys worth there. Sure people will complain but at $6.50 you ain't gonna get all their latest releases but Murdered Soul Suspect is a new enough game so can't be too many complaints.

Where is everyone up to with Steam Sale stuff?

So far I bought

Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Binding of Issac Rebirth

Broken Age

Hack N Slash

Only played Hack N Slash so far and not really sure what I make of it....the whole time stream thing somewhat complicates things far more than I was expecting.

Alien: isolation and (also) The vanishing of Ethan Carter so far. Was considering Skyrim, but didn't think I'd get around to it soon. I'll definitely pick up some cheap indie titles before the end of the sale, things like Zeno clash and Naissance for example. As for bigger titles, I'll have to see what comes up in the daily deals.

So far I have bought:

Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

Quite a quiet sale for me so far. I think its a shame that they've reduced the amount of flash sales and community votes this year. I always enjoyed having to log on at various times during the day to see what was new.

Alien: isolation and (also) The vanishing of Ethan Carter so far. Was considering Skyrim, but didn't think I'd get around to it soon. I'll definitely pick up some cheap indie titles before the end of the sale, things like Zeno clash and for example. As for bigger titles, I'll have to see what comes up in the daily deals.

I had considered getting it...already played on PS3 but it's ideal to just play and sink into with no plans on leaving...but I did also buy Fallout New Vegas with the same purpose and barely touched it! Zeno Clash is also really fun!

Haven't seen many big titles so far I'm interested in so far, apart from the few exceptions for which I prefer a retail disc and intend to get later. However, a weird purchase this time: Sonar X3. Bought the basic version, and I can now finally try my hand at some music making.

Picked up Shovel Knight....my my what a game although it's gotten pretty hard in the second half.

Last few purchases:

Zeno clash (just 1 for now), Long live the queen, and finally, To the moon. This is by far the most I've spent in my 5 years on Steam, but Sonar was the most responsible for that achievement. Was yet again considering Skyrim, but I figured I'll buy it later this year on retail.

Dust: An Elysian Tail is currently in the Humble Weekly Bundle. Well worth the average price (currently $4.21), not to mention the games that you get including with it (none of which have I played, so can't comment on them).

Edited by MoogleViper

Dust: An Elysian Tail is currently in the [ur=https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly]Humble Weekly Bundle[/url]. Well worth the average price (currently $4.21), not to mention the games that you get including with it (none of which have I played, so can't comment on them).

Year Walk also in there and it's very interesting indeed.

I don't suppose anyone has spare keys/codes for Papers, Please? It's £6.99 on Steam atm but I really don't want to pay that much right naaw.

Holy shit, Transistor is pure eye and ear candy.. I want all merchandise from their store.

I don't suppose anyone has spare keys/codes for Papers, Please? It's £6.99 on Steam atm but I really don't want to pay that much right naaw.

Afraid not about the only think I don't have a code for!

So I finished the Vanishing of Ethan Carter last night and whilst yes I enjoyed it I'm not sure it's as a good as people were making it out to be. Even on my aging laptop I could still appreciate the level of details and it still looked great albeit with framerate hiccups.

Firstly my favourite parts of the game were I guess side stories not tied to investigating wonder and the mystery and intrigue around them really made them shine.

When it comes down to the actual puzzles some were frustrating more than clever I'd say. Although I did enjoy the chronology type stuff trying to put your own meaning onto what you see to place them in order. Also towards the end I felt the section where you shall we say in peril was misguided.

However I've often said videogames is now my primary source of consuming narrative stories and that is where I feel Ethan Carter does excel even though I realize that sounds somewhat contradictory as a lot of the puzzles are tied to the story.

I also finished The vanishing of Ethan Carter. I found it to be a shorter but better game than Murdered: soul suspect. It's funny how those 2 games look so different at first sight, but are actually pretty similar. I actually liked the puzzles, had no problems with them. Loved the artstyle and setting, everything looked beautiful. Really loved the fairytale aspects

(I loved chasing the astronaut and then fly up into space)

. Music was great as well.

I also finished The vanishing of Ethan Carter. I found it to be a shorter but better game than Murdered: soul suspect. It's funny how those 2 games look so different at first sight, but are actually pretty similar. I actually liked the puzzles, had no problems with them. Loved the artstyle and setting, everything looked beautiful. Really loved the fairytale aspects
(I loved chasing the astronaut and then fly up into space)

. Music was great as well.

Yeah the part you spoiler-ed was far and away my favourite part along with the realization of where you actually were after that scene.

See this actually got me thinking I'd like to play Murdered; Soul Suspect as I was going along. As that is more centered around those investigations and may be more focused as a result.