NEurope
Dilli Gee

I'm furious at Nintendo AS A PUBLISHER...

A few things:

1) Halo 3 isn't as violent as GoW, and appeals to a broader and also younger [legal] audience. It won't have a BBFC 18-certificate on it.

2) GoW's heavy marketing campaign pails compared to Halo 3's.

3) Xbox 360's price-cut was timed for Halo 3's release.

GoW was a brand new title. It did very well. So on paper, Halo 3 (which is an already established brand) should do even better.

Yeah, I do think it'll sell more and I'm not saying it'll flop, but it's never going to reach the 8 million Halo 2 sold because it's on a more expensive console, with a smaller userbase, at a time when many other first person shooters are avaliable on the console it's being released on, as well as on PS3 (HAze, Unreal tournament) and PC.

I'ts diffcult between the 2... You can argue both cases and i already have i think.

I hope galaxy beats halo 3 of course.. I want a brilliant return for Mario.

A few things:

1) Halo 3 isn't as violent as GoW, and appeals to a broader and also younger [legal] audience. It won't have a BBFC 18-certificate on it.

2) GoW's heavy marketing campaign pails compared to Halo 3's.

3) Xbox 360's price-cut was timed for Halo 3's release.

GoW was a brand new title. It did very well. So on paper, Halo 3 (which is an already established brand) should do even better.

3) is a great point, Microsoft timed that to a pinch. Its fair to say the 360 audience have increased since GoW, so surely a lot more fingers will be on halo 3; Xbox's benchmark title.

Wow, this is like a showdown...Green Vs Red...etc etc...It sure is going to be interesting this winter!

Halo 2 has sold around 9.2 million copies. Considering the Xbox 360's unit base is larger than that of the original, it will sell well over 10+ million by year's end imo.

Rubbish, if XBOX 360 has sold around 11 million units the uptake rate won;t be that high.

I'm making no sense what so ever. I meant I think the game will sell over 10+ million (not "by year's end", just in general).

Look, if Gears of War has raked in over 4 million sales on Xbox 360, I imagine Halo 3 will do much, much better.

You are right... I predict around 5 million by year's end.

I don't think Halo will do much better than Gears, both games appeal to the same type of gamer and the uptake rate will be very similar. The only thing that could help Halo 3 is the price drop which could prompt people to buy the console.

However Mario Galaxy will prompt people to buy the Wii, it'll be a major war, I'd say one of those two games will be Christmas king. Either way I'm sure they'll both be great games, my prediction: 8.5 from Gamespot!

ario Galaxy will prompt people to buy the Wii, it'll be a major war, I'd say one of those two games will be Christmas king.!

Most likely SSBB in the US :P

Most likely SSBB in the US :P

Especially that in Japan, you're talking Super AAA Killer App with that one, I just hope they can manufacture enough consoles to meet the surge, although I somehow doubt it.

...Isn't Wii Fit out over in japan this year in japan, because if so then yeah, you are mostly right about that nintendo need to make more Wiis ^_^

I'd be surprised if Mario Galaxy shifted that many more units. Pretty much everyone who wants it will have a Wii already anyway. Wii Fit will give the Wii a massive lead on the 360 undoubtedly though. Like, PS2 to Gamecube big.

"...More like Grand Canyon than Silicon Valley."

I think people are over-glorifying Wii Fit. Even if it does some how manage to shift millions upon millions of titles, it's not really a "video game" in the typical sense.

It's like comparing Gears of War to EyeToy.

So? it's still on a game machine which means it's considered as a game. Take an example of Japanese Visual novels, although they are basically novels and there are only minor times you choose what to do. They are considered as games. and they have less interaction then any game including Wii Fit

You could say the same about SSBB, Halo 3 etc etc... if you are talking about over-glorifying as well

I think people are over-glorifying Wii Fit. Even if it does some how manage to shift millions upon millions of titles, it's not really a "video game" in the typical sense.

Or comparing Gears to... say... Buzz?

You can't really judge Wii Fit til you try it. Its just like with the Wii itself... its shifting millions upon millions of units and yet its not a a video games console in the typical sense.

It's like comparing the DS to the PSP.

:bouncy:

What? Of course you can compare games like Wii Fit, Brain Training and Wii Sports with Gears and Halo because they're all games!

This silliness about what are 'real' games has only just come about now Nintendo is back on top, when the PS2 was shifting copies of eyetoy and dance mat games to teenage girls no one was complaining.

If Wii Fit outsells Gears and Halo so be it, it's the same with Wii Sports and Brain Training, they've spanked everything in Japan and are doing steller stuff in the West too. The times are changing, and Nintendo are riding this change better than anyone else.

They had some games long before Nintendo set them up, I don't know if any retailed but they all looked pretty passable (except Ravenblade, which looked awesomeeeeee).

Those games were in development until Nintendo canned them - but Retro was a Nintendo company when they started on those canned games.

Rubbish, if XBOX 360 has sold around 11 million units the uptake rate won;t be that high.

I don't think Halo will do much better than Gears, both games appeal to the same type of gamer and the uptake rate will be very similar. The only thing that could help Halo 3 is the price drop which could prompt people to buy the console.

However Mario Galaxy will prompt people to buy the Wii, it'll be a major war, I'd say one of those two games will be Christmas king. Either way I'm sure they'll both be great games, my prediction: 8.5 from Gamespot!

Once again your wrong.

Mario appeals to die hard Nintendo fans more than any other audience. Saying that Nintendo fans will have bought a Wii straight away or very soon after.

On the other hand Halo, appeals to more of a general crowd. Alot of older gamers and just generally a wider audience. The amount of times i have heard "I will get a Xbox when Halo comes's out for it" is very high.

The Wii supports a bigger audience than the 360 i won't dispute that, but i think down to the 2 games Halo has the edge over Mario.

I'd be surprised if Mario Galaxy shifted that many more units. Pretty much everyone who wants it will have a Wii already anyway. [/i]

Quoted for truth.

Once again your wrong.

Mario appeals to die hard Nintendo fans more than any other audience. Saying that Nintendo fans will have bought a Wii straight away or very soon after.

On the other hand Halo, appeals to more of a general crowd. Alot of older gamers and just generally a wider audience. The amount of times i have heard "I will get a Xbox when Halo comes's out for it" is very high.

The Wii supports a bigger audience than the 360 i won't dispute that, but i think down to the 2 games Halo has the edge over Mario.

EDIT: I just saw some numbers, apparently Halo sold 8.6 million worldwide or something.

Quoted for truth.

I agree with you. Although it's something that saddens me, not because of Mario's loss, but because I think the Halo phenomena is kinda unjustified, lots of other games deserve the hype Halo get (non-Nintendo games too, so please don't start). All the cool kids want Halo, so, even though Mario is generally more known, Halo will probably sell more. Time will tell though, it really depends a lot on Japan's reaction.

why the fuck does everyone care what games sell as long as their good?

I don't care. Well I mean, I care a little, I like to see good games selling well, but we can discuss sales, independently of giving them importance or not.

I agree with you. Although it's something that saddens me, not because of Mario's loss, but because I think the Halo phenomena is kinda unjustified, lots of other games deserve the hype Halo get (non-Nintendo games too, so please don't start). All the cool kids want Halo, so, even though Mario is generally more known, Halo will probably sell more. Time will tell though, it really depends a lot on Japan's reaction.

if we are talking worldwide then halo doesn't stand a chance. The japanese hate halo.

If we are talking about right here in europe then it's hard to know..

It's hard to ignore the sales for mario party 8 and new super mario bros.. mario is very much back on top and this game should be the game to once again make him king of platformers.

I thought halo 3 would sell more at first.. But i think wouln't knock mario.

Once again your wrong.

Quoted for truth.

No you're wrong. Just look at sales of New Super Mario Bros. They are around 11 million, more than Halo or Halo 2. Super Mario 64 sold more copies than Halo or Halo 2. Sunshine didn't, but it still managed getting on for 6 million copies, which is impressive especially for a Gamecube game.

I would say Mario appeals to a far wider audience than Halo, and is certainly not just a game for die hard Nintendo fans as you so wrongly state. Halo appeals to men who like sci-fi and guns, Mario appeals to all gamers regardless of age or sex.

Also what is this crap about Halo appealing to a lot of older gamers? As if Mario doesn't, many older gamers who have re-engaged themselves with gaming due to the Wii and DS will love to pick a Mario title as they'll remember it from when they played the NES and SNES.

The Halo games have sold 14.7 million copies between them http://uk.xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/halo-3/746097p1.html,

the last two proper Mario games, (Sunshine and New Super Mario Bros) have sold 16.5 million copies between them.

Thus, I would say looking at the figures, and knowing that the Wii is outselling the 360, Mario has the edge!

All this has been said without even mentioning the FACT that Halo will only sell a handful of copies over in Japan, but Mario will doubtlessly rock the charts over there.

I couldn't care less about what sells in Japan, and I couldn't care less about sales either TBH (God knows why we're debating this).

Back to the original point: Wii sells well, but third parties aren't putting any effort into their games.

To paraphrase Ubisoft, they're quite happy to put out rushed titles and ports on the Wii, because it provides more funding for Xbox 360 and PS3 titles.

That attitude is the Wii's problem.

NSMB Does no way count.

1. It's on a handheld

2. It's not the awesome console 3d platformer.

It's nowt like Sunshine or SM64

This silliness about what are 'real' games has only just come about now Nintendo is back on top, when the PS2 was shifting copies of eyetoy and dance mat games to teenage girls no one was complaining.

That is an excellent point.

Right then, this topic has moved closer to my topic on will smash bros/galaxy/etc have an effect on sales rather than being about Nintendo's publishing habits.

Firstly i will throw my attempted headshot at the 'galaxy will shift units' arguement.

I have thought about this idea of Nintendo 'hardcore' games increasing or not effecting sales a lot recently, i have changed my mind on the subject a lot recently, but now i present my final thoughts:

Super Mario Galaxy is a game that all us crazy hardcore fans have been looking forward to for years, we have pretty much already bought the game and therefore being the crazy fans we will already have the wii... therefore it will not sell more units to us as we already have it...

...however, being crazy fans, when people come round to our house we will say to them, get yourself over here and play wiisports with me... then we will say, wow you should see mario galaxy as well!.. It is here that the second co-op player magic will work it's wii sports style magic and fetch the other person into the game... thus they will want the console even more. However wiisports would probably already have done that job... so no new units sales still...

... But what about all those people you know who have been and played the wii and like it.. and have had more than one go? I know quite a few would be wii owners, and Galaxy is exactly what they need to be pushed into the wii pool. Galaxy, metroid, smash, Bwii, etc are all going to be the sort of games that maintain sales as the general interest lowers, once all the wiisports and wiifit adopters have gone galaxy and the like will keep sales at their high level when they would otherwise drop off, so it is my theory that galaxy etc will have a massive effect on sales... we just wont notice the effect because sales will stay the same... instead of declining.

I hope that that is at least an interesting theory....

... right then that post has spiralled out of control so i will stop it here and then come back later with the dannbrownn 'Nintendo as a publisher defence' Headshot attempt!