N-Europe

Mushroom Men: The Spore War

Retro_Link

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I spent an hour with this yesterday and wasnt impressed at all.

The graphics are very bland, the game sometimes jitters and doesnt run something, the combat is done by freaking waggling, and the story seems wafer thin.

The controls are the worst part for me. I kept trying to center the camera behind my character by press C or Z but that just made him block or roll I then realised that they had mapped the camera controls to the d-pad which is very annoying as the in game camera is very shoddy meaning you have to keep faffing on with the thing.

Very disappointed :(

So I spent an hour with this yesterday and wasnt impressed at all.

The graphics are very bland, the game sometimes jitters and doesnt run something, the combat is done by freaking waggling, and the story seems wafer thin.

The controls are the worst part for me. I kept trying to center the camera behind my character by press C or Z but that just made him block or roll I then realised that they had mapped the camera controls to the d-pad which is very annoying as the in game camera is very shoddy meaning you have to keep faffing on with the thing.

Very disappointed :(

I had no jittering :wtf:, (EDTV) I also felt the graphics were ok primarily owing to the memorable art style and I can't really can't understand why people don't like waggle for weapons...

It works like Twilight Princess...You just nudge your wrist slightly - what's wrong with that? I know some people just want to sit back and maybe veg (or "relax") with a game, but when the motion is nuanced I can't see the problem. Maybe it's just a matter of preference? :confused: Especially when (traditionally) platformers have not needed anything more than a button press for weapon usage.

The story certainly gets better. :awesome:

Stick with it...purely as the stunning level design is the real star of the show. It sticks in your memory far more than you may imagine it to.

The N-E review should be up soon. That unimportant DSi got in the way! :indeed:

The whole waggle thing is purely preference. I just dont see why doing waggle with the wiimote is supposed to enhance the gameplay any when a simple button press will do?

The levels that I have seen so far are very bland/dark/murky and the graphics don't help either. I had just come off playing Castle Crashers on XBLA so that may have something to do with it looking meh :)

After replying to TD yesterday I decided to get back on with the game. I started playing at around 9pm and played til 1am only pausing to watch MOTD. The more I played the game the more it grew on me. I got up at 8am and have just finished the game and by the time it was over I loved it :D

The graphics werent really a problem when I look at it, its the art style used that I needed to get used to. Everything being so dark with hints of green all around, im just used to my platform games being cute and colourful.

I started to get used to the whole control/camera scheme aswell and I figured out what was annoying me about the waggle. In Zelda and DeBlob you could lock onto enemies and objects but this this you cant. Had a lock on function been used and a button for swinging the camera behind your character everything would have been great.

For me the game feels like a cross between Toy Commander and twisted Chibi Robo. Yeah it isnt a colourful and happy game like Chibi but thats not to say its without its charm. Its great running around houses and gardens and really feeling that the game has a huge sense of scale.

I loved the fact that the game had lots of collectables. In each stage you find toy capsules that have razor blades, tacks, thimbles in them and once you collect enough parts you can make a whole new weapon for Pax. One of my favourites was a smoking pipe with the dog from Monopoly stuck in the end, it was called Beat Me Up Scotty :)

Aswell as the weapons there are hidden objects in the game that unlocks a piece of concept art for each on you collect. There is also 10 Meteorites scattered across each level ( apart from the first ) collect enough of these and you increase your health and spore abilities.

The game itself is very forgiving which makes it very easy but it doesnt take anything away from the experience. You have an infinite number of lives and if you die you just respawn near your death site. When facing a boss if you die when you respawn the damage you delt to him is still intact.

The game is still rough around the edges ( had a few graphical glitches and got stuck behind objects a few times ) but I still recommened picking it up, especially if you are a fan of the platforming genre. It may be short ( in game clock was 4 hours and 40 odd mins ) but the replay value is there, what with all the hidden weapon parts and meteorites. I can see the game going cheap very quickly, possibly heading in the 2 for £30 at Game or something. If that ends up being the case then snap it up.

I guess you can put my earlier points down as a moment of madness :red:

Edited by Hero-of-Time

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!