NEurope
Retro_Link

Little King's Story

Im confused. This looks similar to the WiiWare games the japanese are enjoying now but it seems a little different. Is it another 'Ware title, an expansion for it, or a whole new title with no bearin to said 'Ware game and being released in Disc format?

Nah, it was even anounced before the WiiWare title you're thinking about (FF:CC), I think and while FF is gimped, mainly because S-E are greedy and want us to buy all that DLC, this one is more complete. This one also has battles, while FF:CC is strictly, village managing, altrhough you can send soldiers to battle you don't control them.

Nah, it was even anounced before the WiiWare title you're thinking about (FF:CC), I think and while FF is gimped, mainly because S-E are greedy and want us to buy all that DLC, this one is more complete. This one also has battles, while FF:CC is strictly, village managing, altrhough you can send soldiers to battle you don't control them.

Hmmm interesting...

I think you can compare it to both Pikmin and Harvest Moon. The developer calls it a "single player life simulator". You lead your people kinda like in Pikmin, making them fight, build, discover, and more...

And it comes on a disc!

Mmmmm, screens look great. The Wii isn't exactly the most powerful machine, which is why I wish developers would aim for something more along the lines of this game.

Has a great quirky style going on and looks really charming, just underlines its not about how much power you need, but what you do with it that counts.

I hope you can recruit those hen.

After all the damage the caused me in the legend of zelda games, I should hope not. We have an ongoing war we do and I needs me some revenge. :D

Little Kings Story being released this winter, in America at least.

XSeed Games and Marvelous Entertainment have announced a second co-publishing deal today. Little King's Story will be released exclusively on the Nintendo Wii this upcoming winter.

"Little King’s Story has an art style that is very 'story-book' in look, and that we feel will be universally loved," stated Yasuhiro Wada, Managing Director of Marvelous Entertainment Inc. "The game has a fairy tale quality that will intrigue and delight gamers the world around."

By combining gameplay elements from life-simulation, real-time strategy, and adventure genres, the many aspects of creating a vast kingdom come to life! As King, players will manage and involve their townspeople in the goals of creating this new territory; enlist them to dig for treasure, build new buildings and otherwise better their community. Of course, leadership is a two way street, so as King, players will try to conquer rival nations to create a single unified kingdom, as well as grant the requests of townspeople at whim.

The name might put off grown ups.

ikizama_photo_01.jpg

ousama-monogatari-20080611041451539_640w.jpg

ousama-monogatari-20080611041458402_640w.jpg

littlekingstorylp8.jpg

The game has been rename as "Little King's Story" to stop confusing with that WiiWare game.

57081520080612_165904_0_big.jpg

57081520080612_165905_1_big.jpg

57081520080612_165906_2_big.jpg

57081520080612_165907_3_big.jpg

That looks fantastic. Shame about the title though, don't developers realise things like that really bother the general public!??!

That looks fantastic. Shame about the title though, don't developers realise things like that really bother the general public!??!

I doubt anyone would stop buying a game because it's called Little King Story instead of just King Story. This whole notion that names (aside from brand names) influence sales seems ridiculous to me.

It would probably be offputting to the average gamer who may think they'll look like a pansy buying it or something (brynpearson wouldn't buy Toki Tori because his friend was stood next to him), but then again I won't expect this to sell millions of copies. I'll be buying it. Names mean nothing to me. :D

Just like Toki Tori and Zak & Wiki the intial thought of this game will be "its for kids" but, from what I have seen, this is quite a promising title and another unique addition to the Wii's library.

Just so some people can get in their heads that games don't need to break a million to be a hit when this game doesn't sell 5 mil units, here's Marvelous Entertainment's sales expectations:

Domestic sales first, overseas sales in parenthesis…

• Little King Story (Wii) : 45k (NA : 120k , EU : 124k)

• Oboro Muramasa Youtouden (Wii) : 56k

• Harvest Fishing (DS) : (EU : 35k)

• Harvest Moon : Island of Happiness (DS) : (EU : 45k)

• Rune Factory (DS) : (EU : 80k)

• Luminous Arc Will (DS) : 86k

• Steal Princess (DS) : 19k

• Avalon Code (DS) : 56k (NA :40k, EU :39k)

Wow. I just pray that we get this over here. It looks fantastic.

Rising Star Games are publishing it in Europe in Q1 2009.

IGN's Preview

While we wait for Nintendo to grant us a new Pikmin game, XSeed is prepping what looks to be a suitable substitute in Little King's Story. Part real-time strategy, part Harvest Moon-type life sim, the game puts players in charge of a small town and tasks them with growing it into a vast kingdom. There are giant monsters guarding neighboring areas, and as they are defeated the size of your empire will increase. We got an extended look at this Story recently, and came away eager to play more.

One day a young boy finds a crown that grants him the power to lead and, basically, control the people around him. A knight named Hauser has been searching the land for a leader, and when he senses your new abilities he finds you and becomes your advisor. The game runs on a daily cycle, and Hauser will provide you with daily reports about things like money and unemployment. He'll also send you news headlines while you're out and about in town. At the start your bank account will be $0, so you'll need to gather a few townspeople for a good old fashioned treasure hunt.

You have direct control of the king with the nunchuk's analog stick. The remote represents your scepter and by pressing the B button you will raise your in-game staff and call your citizens to follow you. The Z button will reveal nearby objects that can be interacted with or attacked. Around the town you'll find holes in the ground that may hide treasure. Pressing the A button will send your subjects to interact with an object in the direction you are facing. So you can send them into the holes to dig out the gold. Or they may have to destroy a fallen log that blocks your path. Once you've stuffed your pockets with money you can start building job houses and assign specific tasks to your citizens.

Job houses are where you send people to learn a trade. The first two structures you can build are farm houses and soldier houses. Farmers can cultivate cracks in the ground. Any citizen can be sent to attack monsters, but soldiers will deal the most damage. Soldiers can't dig, though. Later on you'll be able to train archers, carpenters, and more. Job types can be changed at any time. It takes a full day to build a house, so you can either wait it out or go to sleep and wake up the next morning. Sleeping is a good way to replenish the king's health.

You'll begin your reign in an old, run down shack, sleeping on a bed of hay surrounded by cobwebs. But as your kingdom improves, so will your crib. Eventually you'll have a castle fit for a king. When it comes time to build a town square your subjects will hold festivals there each time you defeat a boss and expand your territory. It's actually rather gruesome -- the beast's head is stuck on a pyre and the citizens dance around like pagans wearing masks. The square will also be where your mail box is, and subjects will drop off notes for you. They might give hints as to what you should do next or lavish you with praise.

The game's cut scenes are presented in a very striking water color, storybook style. They look great and should help draw the player into this fantasy world. The in-game graphics eschew this style for more traditional, Animal Crossing-like visuals. Your town is very colorful and there is lots of nice "business" going on like swaying trees and wind swirls. You can spin the camera around with the D-pad. A lot of the music is classical public domain stuff, but it's very appropriate for the world the developers have created. There are some cool, old school videogame sound effects in here, too. Voice work has been recorded for most of the characters and is presented in gibberish, although you'll recognize a few English words like "king" or "yes, sir." Even though most of it is unintelligible, characters speak with different accents to establish individuality.

A big difference between Little King's Story and Pikmin is that your followers aren't generic, expendable lemmings. Your subjects have their own names and personalities. The longer they live, the more loyal and obedient they become. The game's creators want players to develop a bond with their citizens. You have to earn their respect. At first they'll be hesitant to follow a kid and their tone will be one of condescension.

Everyone's health is represented by diamonds above their heads. Strangely, as they near death they age, so with only one diamond left they will be slow, wrinkly old men. This goes for the king, as well. Farmers can dig up hot springs around town for healing. On his own the king is helpless. He requires his subjects to do everything for him. The bottom left of the screen displays the number of citizens currently following the king, up to 50.

If they perish, a funeral will be held for them the next day. Your kingdom is always growing -- never shrinking -- so the fallen will be replaced by strangers who wash up on shore. You never know who you're going to get, though -- you may get children who are more interested in playing than following orders.

Little King's Story is set for a near-simultaneous release in Japan and North America this winter.

Pressing the A button will send your subjects to interact with an object in the direction you are facing.

Because using the pointer to send your troops would be too complicated?

So when it says a simultaneous release for america and Japan, I'm guessing Europe ISN'T included in that?!?

So when it says a simultaneous release for america and Japan, I'm guessing Europe ISN'T included in that?!?

Correct. Rising Star will apparently release it in Q1 2009.

Correct. Rising Star will apparently release it in Q1 2009.

Typical :( Oh will, Wii Music will keep us busy...... The first quarter of 2009 are look criminally good; bet loads will get pushed back even further though!!!

PS I'm slowly coming round to the idea of Wii Music now actually

Typical :( Oh will, Wii Music will keep us busy...... The first quarter of 2009 are look criminally good; bet loads will get pushed back even further though!!!

PS I'm slowly coming round to the idea of Wii Music now actually

I'm not, it looks absolutely awful. This looks extremely good though, please please make it out in early '09!