• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReZourceman

• Happenstance

• Paj!

• Dan_Dare

Walking Dead #62 sets up the new arc very nicely :)

roll on July!

The cannibalistic crime thriller, CHEW, sells out with a second printing on the way!

CHEW, the all-new crime series with a cannibalistic twist from writer John Layman and illustrator Rob Guillory, debuted to a near immediate distribution-level sell out despite a significant overprint, resulting in a second printing.

"I've been insisting for years that the comic book industry has been clamoring for more books with double page spreads of non-costumed characters eating soup, and it's gratifying to see there indeed is a robust market for such a book," Layman said. "Big thanks to everybody --retailers, readers and reviewers-- who came out in such shocking numbers to check out something new and different, and more than a little bit weird. Rob Guillory's amazing art certainly played a big part in attracting people's attention, so I want to thank him for his great work as well."

CHEW's star, Detective Tony Chu, is a cop with a secret. As a Cibopath, Detective Chu gets a psychic impression from whatever he eats. While it means he's a hell of a Detective if he can stomach the evidence, once his secret gets out the government makes plans for him, whether he likes it or not. CHEW blends horror, mystery and the strangest ability of them all in an ongoing series of horrific crimes solved in the most horrific way possible. Since its release the book has been receiving an immense amount of buzz with many retailers directly contacting Image for as many copies as they can spare. Even Layman's fellow creators have been talking up the book.

CASANOVA and Uncanny X-Men Writer Matt Fraction commented, "Of all the times John Layman has made me want to throw up, this was the best. CHEW is disturbed and disturbing and warped and grotesque and hilarious and horrifying-- in short, exactly the kind of book we were all afraid John Layman had hiding inside of him somewhere. Now when they find the bodies, we can all hold up copies of CHEW and say SEE? WE TOLD YOU THIS WAS COMING. Oh, and Rob Gullory is going to helllllllllll."

CHEW #1 2nd Printing (APR098373) and CHEW #2 (MAY090346), both thirty-two page full color comic books for $2.99, will be in stores July 1st, 2009.

oh btw ReZ my local FP has plenty copies of Chew #1 in! ;)

Seriously, I'm so hyped for this. I hate having things late/Diamond being shit/my local shop not ordering things, and the combination thereof.

Invincible \63, exclusive from Kirkmans Twitter.

2dt2dld.jpg

Erm yeah....that shits gon' be off the hook.

Just seen cover with trade dress...logo is blood red. Looks very sick/horrible/amazing.

Edited by ReZourceman
Automerged Doublepost

Seriously, I'm so hyped for this. I hate having things late/Diamond being shit/my local shop not ordering things, and the combination thereof.

Invincible \63, exclusive from Kirkmans Twitter.

2dt2dld.jpg

Erm yeah....that shits gon' be off the hook.

Just seen cover with trade dress...logo is blood red. Looks very sick/horrible/amazing.

Have you not read chew? It's pretty grisely, but not much happens, but sets stuff up for the next issue nicely, i liked, but not loved.

I nearly died reading that, i'm not gonna read the preview.. i want to be systematically blown away by it.

I already love Uncanny. I know Matt Fraction is the guy ReZ said was great, but it feels really...good. Only got the issue with Psylocke on the front cause they didn't the issue immediatly after it. Love it though.

---

This is the initial line-up in the joke X-Men series I'm planning with chair. These are the costumes, but imagine a more uniform colour scheme of red and gold (instead of blue).

bbw_RossCyclops1.gifBlanchett_phoenixwhiteredo.giffudge_mar-Wolverine-JAN07-1.gifBlanchett_stormyoung.gifBlanchett_Beast70s.gif*ultkitg.gifforg0e.gifbishop3id.gifUnnamedkid.gif**JW_Havok1.gifJR-BetsyCollection02.gifJR-KittyCockrum.gifJR-Rogue17.gificeman10.gif

* = Blacklite, an original character.

**= Climate, an original character.

About 5-6 are "gone" by Issue 8 however. By various means. I love them all. And the secrets I daren't reveal until I start writing it.

EDIT: Blacklite is not Beast, it's the girl in the dress with arms outstretched.

Edited by Paj!
Automerged Doublepost

The Walking Dead is bloody excellent this month. Really interesting character development, especially Carl.

X Men Forever is also damn good. I guess Marvel freaked when Claremont

killed Magneto

in issue 3. I'm glad we're beginning to see how the series would have gone naturally. Also: 2 week schedule! o_0

it's gonna burn my wallet alive. Should be worth it though.

So, bought my first single issue US comics for about a year and a half. Last bought Uncanny way back during the Fall of the Shi'Ar.

Uncanny X-Men 509 - Loved the writing. Heard Fraction was great, but really liked it. Had jokes to tell me. Land's art is nice when it's not glaringly obvious the source is out of place. Which is more often than not unfortunately. Lovely cover though. Gonna stick with this I think.

X-Men Forever 1 - Not a great fan fo Claremont's writing in recent years, it's a bit patronising. Xtreme was just...wtf. However, after this issue, it looks to get a bit more interesting. Since when was Cortez super strong?

Batman & Robin 1 - MORRISON AND QUITELY = jizz. Not followed anything abotu Batman's death after the first few issues of R.I.P, but didn't really need to. Love the look of Pyg and his crew.

In March 2007, on the heels of Marvel's Civil War series, writer Ed Brubaker and artist Steve Epting did the unthinkable - they killed Steve Rogers, better known to the world as Captain America. Coming at a time when the United States was engaged in vigorous debate about wars overseas - and conveniently hitting stores when the news cycle was slow - Cap's death swept the nation, becoming a cultural talking point for days and weeks to come. Today Cap is set to once agian become a talking point - mostly because he can't seem to stay dead.

Flash forward two years from Civil War. Captain America has settled into a new routine. James Buchanan 'Bucky' Barnes has taken over the identity of the Sentinel of Liberty, but is still trying to capture the spirit of the original Marvel icon. He is a member of a new Avengers team, albeit not gravitating towards a leadership position as his mentor always did.

Come July that dynamic changes (or starts to change at least). The Marvel Universe suddenly has a beacon of hope amidst the clouds cast by Norman Osborn's Dark Reign. Marvel Comics has announced that Steve Rogers will be returning later this year in a storyline that kicks off with Ed Brubaker and Bryan Hitch's "Captain America Reborn" mini-series.

Back in April, Marvel put word out that a new five-issue project, titled "Reborn", would be hitting store shelves on July 1, 2009. No details were provided outside of the writer, Ed Brubaker, the artist, Bryan Hitch, and the cover artists - Hitch, John Cassaday and the legendary Alex Ross. With a talent roster like this, fans were understandably excited and curious, but Marvel Comics released no further details and offered no comment. Any attempts by IGN to gather more information were quickly denied. Speculation has always pointed to this being a Captain America story, given the involvement of Brubaker, but Marvel has done an admirable job preventing leaks in an industry that is known for them.

This morning the publisher provided further details for Reborn, including the slight name change to "Captain America Reborn". The first issue ships to stores in just over two weeks. Timed to coincide with a special release of Captain America #600 - which will be available at many retailers today, with all other comic book shops receiving copies on Wendesday - Marvel has begun a blitz of PR and hype to lead up to what will no doubt be one of the biggest releases of the year.

Marvel is still keeping quiet on how Rogers will return. The news thus far, which was first reported by the New York Daily News, has been limited to a confirmation of Rogers' revival. Marvel EIC Joe Quesada did mention to the publication that the creators had been "planning this moment for 2.5 years." Despite talking to both Brubaker and Hitch, the Daily News mentioned no other specifics about the project.

Be sure to stay tuned to IGN for the latest on Captain America Reborn. We're awaiting more comments from Marvel, and will bring them to you the second we are able.

So, bought my first single issue US comics for about a year and a half. Last bought Uncanny way back during the Fall of the Shi'Ar.

Uncanny X-Men 509 - Loved the writing. Heard Fraction was great, but really liked it. Had jokes to tell me. Land's art is nice when it's not glaringly obvious the source is out of place. Which is more often than not unfortunately. Lovely cover though. Gonna stick with this I think.

X-Men Forever 1 - Not a great fan fo Claremont's writing in recent years, it's a bit patronising. Xtreme was just...wtf. However, after this issue, it looks to get a bit more interesting. Since when was Cortez super strong?

Batman & Robin 1 - MORRISON AND QUITELY = jizz. Not followed anything abotu Batman's death after the first few issues of R.I.P, but didn't really need to. Love the look of Pyg and his crew.

Glad you like Fraction. I'm telling you he's absolutely brilliant. I'd actually put him behind Kirkman as my second favourite writer now. His run on X-Men is certainly the most enjoyable X-Men I've read. I really like his dual-storyline plots.

Also I really liked Batman & Robin too.

Havn't read this weeks comics yet, picking them up on Thursday (not waiting till weekend for Invincible. :))

Reborn sounds cool. I wonder how he'll come back.

--------------------

YAY! Invincible UC Volume 5 has been solicited! September.

No Haunt or Image United though. Hmmm.

Also;

Ultimate Armor Wars?

And

ULTIMATE COMICS AVENGERS #2

Written by MARK MILLAR

Pencils & Cover by CARLOS PACHECO

ENTER THE RED SKULL! Reeling over his near-fatal encounter with the Skull, Captain America takes matters into his own hands in pursuit of his terrifying new adversary and his terrorist employers! Meanwhile, Nick Fury reveals the horrifying truth behind the Red Skull and kick-starts Project Avengers in earnest with the arrival of Gregory Stark, Tony's older, richer and smarter brother! Join MARK MILLAR (ULTIMATES) and CARLOS PACHECO (X-MEN) for the next pulse-pounding issue of the biggest, baddest book of the summer!

Tonys brother? Erm/......fucking hell yes please.

QUESTION: Can I subscribe to american comics in the Uk? I assume no.

---

I'm considering what to get my dad to read, comics-wise. I'm thinking Morisson's entire run (up to Jean's farewell) on New X-Men, it's so classic. And a great place to jump on.

I have it in the Essential X-Men issues, but that also has shitty Xtreme X-Men tacked on, so I'm thinking of scanning my issues so I can form a lovely booklet for him to read. Might be too much of an effort though. The collections are so expensive though. Actually let me check.

Although it is Father's Day coming up soon.

YAY! Invincible UC Volume 5 has been solicited! September.

No Haunt or Image United though. Hmmm.

well they're saying October is a likely month for Haunt what with Halloween and all ;)

Apparently Sand Diego Comic Con will have big news regarding Image United, but that's still over a month away :(

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!