• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReZourceman

• Happenstance

• Paj!

• Dan_Dare

I just don't understand what the people at Marvel think when they get Land work back. Especially his recent-recent stuff. It's atrocious. Like...sometimes it's passable (relative to him being a criminal) but like the final X-Men cover? Excuse me while I papercut an M over my eye with pages of that issue in an attempt to know that this isn't a nightmare, that my pain is real, to know that I still feel.

I actually realised though it's just money-saving. Where are all the big-name artists? They seem to be doing less and less stuff...yeah good to promote new talent like Clay Mann on X-Men (and he's decent enough, if unremarkable), but they just clearly can't spend the money on the in-demand people. Land will obviously ask for pittance in some sort of concession to his own shitness, and I guess Dodson every so often is as much as they can stretch. And his is often too cartoony for me, but at least it's actually..drawing.

Chris Bachalo has done what...that one-shot and a few covers? He probs doesn't need to do more than that, but yeah. The big-names seem to be doing covers only now.

Ryan Ottley should be a big name but isn't, and I assume he's like best friends with Robert Kirkman which is why he's stayed on Invincible. I don't know why I think that though.

As I gather he is staying on Invincible because he loves it so much/thinks it is so great.

I really really hope he doesn't get bored at least for a while. Because he is bound to take SOME kind of hiatus eventually. But it HAS to have a good artist. Ugh.

The thing I JUST DO NOT GET, is the wealth of talent on Deviant Art. 95% would work for absolute minimum wage type thing, because their passion for it is SO great. So just sack Land, and sack EVERY SINGLE shitty or forgettable artists, because there are thousands upon thousands of unique and talented replacements available everywhere.

GAME: You take over as writer of an established comic series tomorrow, starting with a fresh 'Issue 1', with virtually complete creative control. What is the team roster/changes you make? What is the synopsis of the first arc? Who draws it?

GAME: You take over as writer of an established comic series tomorrow, starting with a fresh 'Issue 1', with virtually complete creative control. What is the team roster/changes you make? What is the synopsis of the first arc? Who draws it?

Too good.

X-Men:

Roster:

Storm

Iceman

Havok

Kitty

that telekenetic with no arms lol

Beast

Come on, san Fran.

The X-Men

Cyclops - Dazzler - Magneto - Emma Frost - Northstar - Pixie - Gambit

Jean Grey returns, suddenly. The arc details the fallout but also the mysterious circumstances and why her seemingly peaceful/uneventful return may have more far reaching consequences than it seems [as in, space]. Meanwhile Mystique resurfaces to...begin her political career? And why does it involve Carol Danvers?

The team kinda comes together during, it doesn't just start out like it is.

Reasons:

Cyclops and Emma, though the focus of the X-books for the last decade, are essential. Only in one title though, there'd be at least one other 'main X-Men book' too, without them. Also - Jean returning lolz. Magneto and Gambit were there cause Rogue is involved in the story but when the team solidifes, she leaves since she can't handle shit from either side. Let's not forget it was 'Magneto' who killed Jean in the first place. Pixie is the Armour, only more worthwhile/useful, and she ends up relating to Gambit, or forming some sort of friendship with him, sharing their (literally) dark souls. Also she's besties with Dazzler and Northstar, and they're such jokes, they're in.

Notably left out is Wolverine. His thoughts are dealt with in another book, you can tell.

Edited by Paj!

yes but could these people on Deviant Art put out a 22 page comic every month?

Less than one page a day? A lot of them. Easily.

Solicitation;

The Avengers #1

Written by Michael Jamieson

Art and Cover by Ed McGuinness

Stephen Strange is missing. Wiccan is nowhere to be found. The Scarlet Witch hasn't been seen in days. When an exhausted, maimed and beaten Shumah Gorath appears in Tony Stark's bedroom at 3AM it triggers the event of the century for the heroes of the Marvel Universe. Something that will leave The Avengers changed forever.

---------

"The Dark Circle" 4 Issue story arc.

The magical heroes of the marvel universe go missing. Shumah Gorath transports himself to Tony Stark's bedroom. After tests are made, and communication cannot be done with Shumah, Iron Man is forced to assemble a team of the strongest (and available) Avengers. Hank Pym, Reed Richards, Captain America, Wonderman, Ms Marvel, She-Hulk and Hawkeye must uncover the truth, at the end of the first issue Iron Fist's body is found cold and lifeless in his penthouse.

Tracking down the only Avenger with the magical prowess they can find they finally trace an energy pattern left over from Iron Fist's body. A dark corner of the astral plane has been used and evil is ammounting.

The team travel to the astral plane, using the magic Avenger/Pym/Stark/Richards, and finally find Scarlet Witch, Wiccan and 100 or so other magic/unknowns from the MU. All chained to a ritualistic device and gothic surroundings, shadowy figures stand in the middle. A sacrifice has been taking place. Several heroes have fallen. Doctor Strange is chained to the middle of the ritual type contraption (very large).

Forced to start the sacrifice early more and more heroes/MU unknowns/obscures die. Stephen screams in pain.

The shadowy figures are forced to reveal themselves for the combatting Avengers are too strong for merely their projected magical emblems and demons they have summoned....they are revealed to be...

....Mephisto and Dormmammu. They have a gigantic battle with the Avengers.

Several Avengers free the majority of the sacrificee's but not before more casualties are suffered. Stephen is emmitting light and energy, too much to go near.

In the finale, the dust settles, the heroes are forced to retreat, and Stephen Strange is released from his stronghold. He steps up to join Mephisto and Dormmammu, his new appearance truely very disturbing, muscular and powerful. Covered in ritualistic and dark marks.

The final panel is Mephisto, Dormmammu and Strange all standing proud and tall as a final member steps out from behind them to complete the quartet, a Dark pale navy skinned and highly magically armoured/caped Iron Fist readies his stance.

The Dark Circle is born, and the Marvel Universe has never been in more danger.

Edited by ReZourceman

Comics sales back in the dumps in May

Although both sales charts seemed to show incremental gains in March and April for comics periodical sales, everything at the top seems to have slid back in May, ICv2 reports. Comics sales were down a whopping 17.3 percent and NO comic — not even the debut of DC’s highly touted FLASHPOINT mini – topped 100k copies sold. Although FLASHPOINT did very well in reorders, the low initial orders show that event fatigue is very real where comics retailers are concerned.

After nearly pulling even in year-over-year sales in April, the Top 300 periodical comics plummeted 17.3% in May as the top titles exhibited unusual weakness. The situation doesn’t appear to have been quite as bad on the graphic novel side with year-over-year sales of the Top 300 books down just 6.2%, but in this case appearances are deceiving, the drop in comic sales was not quite as bad as it looks and graphic novel sales in May of 2011 were even worse than they appear at first glance.

ICv2 attributes this to periodicals being compared to an unusually robust May 2010, while GN’s are being compared to a very anemic May 2010.

Indeed, it’s been a while since we’ve had a GN sales breakout — the lack of obvious tie-ins for this summer’s movie slate being one example.

John Jackson Miller crunches the numbers and finds, as we’ve been seeing, that the bottom remains stable, although modest numbers-wise:

The 300th place title, a key indicator of sales levels, was Robert E. Howard’s Savage Sword #2 at 2,913 copies, the second-highest total for that placement for the year and almost the same as the 300th place title sold last May. So the market has the same depth as this time last year — it’s the volumes higher on the list that have been shaved off.

1 174.85 FEAR ITSELF #2 $3.99 MAR 96,318

2 157.90 FLASHPOINT #1 $3.99 DC 86,981

3 136.82 GREEN LANTERN #66 $2.99 DC 75,371

4 123.60 AVENGERS #13 FEAR $3.99 MAR 68,086

5 121.42 FF #3 $2.99 MAR 66,885

6 110.67 GREEN LANTERN CORPS #60 $2.99 DC 60,964

7 109.96 FF #4 $2.99 MAR 60,571

8 109.79 BATMAN INCORPORATED #6 $2.99 DC 60,480

9 109.52 NEW AVENGERS #12 $3.99 MAR 60,328

10 107.26 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #661 $3.99 MAR 59,087

Edited by Dante

Just added all the DC #1s i'll be planning on getting in September to my usual site to check how much it'll cost me. Coming to around £50 for all of them. Tempted to put the preorder it now so I can just forget about it and have them arrive.
Where do you buy yours from?

---

Also, what will be the difference between Batman #1 and The Dark Knight #1?

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!