Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

UK

I may have to buy a load of the single issue #1s myself when they come out. Doubt i'll continue past that until they come out in trade but it'll be nice to have those initial issues.

What would also be nice would be DC using this opportunity to sort out their TPB side of the business and start releasing them a bit sooner and keep more of them in print, especially the bigger stories.

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReZourceman

• Happenstance

• Paj!

• Dan_Dare

And Paj!....hell I'm not even going to bother typing out the question, just answer the question I'm obviously implying....

Invincy?

I haven't. Shut the fuck up, I'm still on X-Men Legacy/New Mutants as I've been too busy to finish it today/yesterday.

Jim Lee And Geoff Johns Talk DC Relaunch On Stage In LA

Jim Lee and Geoff Johns just took the stage to talk about the DC Comics relaunch as part of the LA Times’ Hero Complex Film Festival. There were lots of rumors flying about this event earlier tonite, which I think mirrors the incredible level of interest in what they’re attempting to accomplish here. I’m watching Twitter and the Newsarama Live Blog coverage like everyone else. Let’s find out what people are saying…

The new Justice League of America series will start in the past with the JLA’s origin. The second arc of the book will then jump to the current time.

There’s a lot of discussion about the history of the characters here, from what the Crisis reboot meant for DC and comics, and back to the core origins of the characters in DC’s decades-long history. There’s the sense that Lee and Johns are well aware of the scope of what they’re attempting.

Grant Morrison gave commentary on the Action Comics relaunch via video. To no one’s surprise, he’s promising an unexpected and fundamentally new take, and “a ridiculous voyage into the unknown”. Morrison’s video should be available online soon.

The event ended with the audience definitely wanting more. There was no Q&A at the end, much to the disappointment of everyone following along on twitter.

There are many questions left to answer here, and the rumors leading up to this event were fast and furious… all of which leads me to believe it’s going to be another busy week of DC news next week. Check out the transcript of Newsarama’s coverage for a few more tidbits.

^ I want your opinion /I'll ignore it if I don't agree with it on The Dark Knight Strikes Again, the sequel to TDKR.

Just read part one (of three, I think). Not going to lie, I love Super getting teamed up on and beaten the shit out of. As for the rest of it, it's pretty meh at the moment.

It's just one massive ROFLcopter. I love it.

The art is my favourite thing. (among my many other favourite things)

The colouring and layouts are yes. I like Frank Miller's actual drawing too, I can't abide people saying it's crap, when...it's clearly not (it just might not be to their taste, which is obviously going to happen, it's very unusual).

And I love how it doesn't give a shit. Just gives us things and really doesn't care if we deal with them or not.

thatissosilverage.jpg

Red Lanterns looks like DC are trying to follow X-Force. Jus sayin.

OK, other matters: for those of you using 'alternatives' to read comics, you have no excuse not to read the Suicide Girls comic out this week. It's total drivel, but hilarious. And incredibly bad taste softcore that makes no sense whatsoever. Must Read.

There was a quote about along the lines of 'red lanterns seek justice through their own extreme means' or whatever, which is fairly similar. They're like a violent offshoot of the Green Lanterns in a way that's similar to the X-Men / X-Force.

At least from what I read from the relaunch pr. I know I'm not up to date on GL lore so it may be wrong anyway.

I finished the Age of X storyline. It was interesting/good.

Feels like a stunning thing now that they

are all back on Utopia, but keep the memories of years worth of the Age of X reality. Adds such a joke thing. Sorry Chamber being back to square 1. Pixie is ready with her promiscuous alternate personality. But best of all is that THEY'RE GOING TO SEARCH FOR THE SPACE TEAM!! After all these years of Havok, Rachel and Polaris being lost in space. Thank fuck. I actually thought Revenant was meant to be Jean until this last issue. Maybe that was the point.

Hey British Psylocke. How've you been all this time? / We saw you in the Sisterhood storyline.

Bits of the tie-in Age of X specials were good too. Interesting take on The Avengers. I love Mystique's minor yet stunning role in proceedings.

That new Superman outfit is shit. I don't mind what they're doing with the new relaunch (except Barbara Gordon) but that new outfit is lame. Armoured boots? Why the fuck would Superman need any kind of armour? His suit should be completely cosmetic, it has no practical function at all.

1307992434.jpg

Marvelheld its latest "Next Big Thing" press conference call Monday afternoon, keeping the subject of the call close to the vest until just after the call began. Once Zeb Wells and Joe Madureira were on the line, the pair announced that they would be collaborating on a new ongoing series titled "Avenging Spider-Man," which debuts in November.

James Viscardi, Junior Sales Administrator, moderated the discussion, with editor Stephen Wacker on the line as well.

Wells began by saying that, with Dan Slott holding the reins of "Amazing Spider-Man," "Avenging" will be a blockbuster approach that will see Spider-Man being a superhero throughout the Marvel universe.

"Spidey has been my favorite since I was a kid," Joe Mad said, adding that his four-year-old daughter is also a big fan. "Spidey has always, always, always been my favorite."

Madureira also said he enjoys the fact that Wells is "really funny," even when the story can be serious. The first arc features Spider-Man and the Red Hulk against the Moloids, which the artist appeared quite enthusiastic to draw.

Wacker said that the impetus for the new series was a suggestion of "Marvel Team-Up," which didn't appeal to him, but "the idea of a book starring Spider-Man as a member of the Avengers" worked better from his perspective.

Madureira said "I love drawing Moloids," to the amusements of the others on the call. Wells described a double page spread with hundreds of people—an extremely challenging crowd scene—which Madureira elaborated to add, "it's not just hundreds of people, it's the New York marathon running into an army of Moloids."

Madureira spoke briefly about his time interning at Marvel, where he primarily worked under Danny Fingeroth. He said he enjoyed it as an artist because "I got to handle art from Alan Davis, Jim Lee... 'look what I'm holding, guys!'"

Wells said that there would not be direct crossover between "Avenging" and other "blockbuster" series like "Avengers"—"Dan's doing so much in his book, and Brian [bendis] is doing so much in his books"—but the series would be integrated as much as other Avengers-centric heroes would be.

The writer also said that "I think Spider-Man's humor works best when the stakes are real," in response to a question about the tone of the series. "That's when the character's the funniest, when he finds the funny in the grim."

There was a question about inter-dimensional travel, which seemed to intrigue Wells. "This is the book where you could see Spidey leave New York City for a while."

The first Moloid arc is three issues, Wells said, but the second arc has not been cemented yet.

Peter Parker's most personal moments will still occur in "Amazing," Wells confirmed, though meaningful events will be reflected in his and Joe Mad's series.

Wells said one of the great challenges is "finding the perfect villain, and whether that villain is available" is always a challenge, but not more for this book than any other. "Having the entire Avengers rogues gallery at our disposal helps."

Madureira was asked who he wants to draw, noting that they'd run through a few already. Finally, he said, "Wolverine, come on."

"There's going to be a Vulture story, that's pretty early in its inception," Wells said about future villains. "That's the definition of a tease—it's pretty much just in my head at this point."

Madureira noted that he has been working in the games industry in the last few years, but regularly has "an itch" to return to comics. "When they called me up and asked if I wanted to draw Spider-Man, how could I say no? I could be hit by a truck. Which would be bad, because then the issues wouldn't come out."

There's was quite a bit of bantering about Madureira staying on schedule.

Wells praised Mad's storytelling style. "It actually appears to be moving--you can track all the movements, it's all so fluid, it really blows me away."

"I'm glad that you guys are loving it, because I'm trying to make it cool," Madureira said. "If I finally get my crack at it, and it sucks, ugh! That would be terrible."

Wells said that "I find the Red Hulk funny, because he's like a grumpy old man." "I just like to think of Thunderbolt Ross as your grandpa who doesn't like anything."

"Avenging Spider-Man" will not affect "Amazing Spider-Man's" schedule, which will continue to be twice-monthly.

The final question of the call was whether "Avenging" would affect "Amazing's" story. "In my mind, Dan [slott] is Daddy," Wells said. "I don't want to make Daddy mad. I don't want to spank him. If Daddy likes something we do, he can run with it." All on the call were laughing by the second sentence.

Wacker said that, if the series had launched a year ago, it would reflect the events of "Spider-Island" in current issues—the two series will tie into each other by reflecting current situations in this way.

"Avenging Spider-Man" #1 is on sale in November.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!