• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReZourceman

• Happenstance

• Paj!

• Dan_Dare

Just been reading some more of X-Men Messiah Complex and it made me wonder, who are some of the X-Men/mutants that you guys feel need more time in the books?

For me one of them would be Iceman, he just only ever seems to appear occassionally in the books and then just a side character in the X-Men events. They need to get him back on a team fulltime. Same goes for Gambit, I know a lot of people dont like him as hes basically a creation of the 90s but I think with a good writer he could be given a fresh start on a team.

Unfortuntely, while the current (last almost 10 years as well) direction of X-Men is interesting, with the students (which makes more sense than what the school was for 30 years before that) everywhere, it means less panel-time for most characters. Especially since Cyclops has become the main character completely over time (which people are a bit sick of). Other characters have suffered due to this, I've found. Emma doesn't really have a voice anymore, less "important" characters can't get any good character moments in, as everything has to further Cyclops/the event/whatever.

While Legacy's direction seems interesting, with Rogue and Magneto as the main characters training the younger students, I can't help but feel like I'd rather see a few other interesting proper X-Men in their place. The arc of Legacy during Necrosha (...) was what I'd like to see more of; Rogue, Magneto, then a joke team selection - Psylocke, Colossus, Husk and Trance.

It's why I love Astonishing (Whedon's run). Even now it's gone less astonishing, I still value it for it's old X-Men feel.

I'd prefer they just brought Jason Macendale back. He was stun. Hobgoblin has always been stun actually. I've read his introduction in the 80's, and it's like 20 issues dealing with how great he is and how Spidey can never catch him/he thinks far too far ahead for Spidey. (that sounds quite boring, but it's good IIRC)

That was Roderick Kingsley goblin though.

I've never read the Demogoblin stuff...but I like demonfaced one either way.

----

From the December Marvel Solicits:

LOolaolaol

145_WOMEN_OF_MARVEL_2.jpg

I've seen that Sue face used for Emma/loads of people. What is that pose? And I love how he's drawn Shanna's spear plunging into Sue's chest...

More interestingly:

53_HEROES_FOR_HIRE_1.jpg

A "Marvel Knights" team! And I think Silver Sable is meant to be joining too.

--

I LOVE how much cover work Jae Lee is getting/doing, these days. One of the best cover artists out there IMO.

However, it seems Greg Land is also getting more cover work...? I honestly don't understand. If it looked good, I could understand, but it's mostly disgusting. His women are often sickening, huge tits, and exceedingly anorexic hips and legs. It's disturbing to see cause it's all drawn/traced from real life.

Hmmmm.

Not really sure about geek culture ones but trade paperbacks id recommend giving a try to get into comics would be:

Ultimate Spider-Man Vol.1

New Avengers: Breakout

DC New Frontier Vols.1+2 (This is more a silver age style but still very good)

Batman: Year One

Invincible Vol.1

Kick Ass

The Walking Dead Vol.1

Astonishing X-Men: Gifted

Marvels

Ultimates Vol.1

C'mon then recommend me some comics to read as a good starting point...super hero stuff. Also though reading Scott Pilgrim and loving it is there anything else out there written in that style and taping into geek culture in such a way that I would enjoy?

Invincible.

It gets good/awesome in issue 7 and gradually picks up steam. The recommendation for that is that you have to stick with it.

New Avengers is awesome.

Astounding Wolf-Man is awesome! Probably a good thing to start on.

I don't recommend Wolf-Man.

It's never recommended, but I suggest JLA: Year One by Mark Waid. As an intro to the DC Universe (the one with Batman, Superman etc), but you're taken into the story with these new heroes taking up their roles, completely in awe of all those who came before them, and it's just really awesome.

JLA-Year%20One.jpg

One of my first graphic novels, and I love it even more now (I don't know how I understood it all back then!). One of the few times I could be bothered with Green Lantern, Aquaman and Flash.

Another reason why you should get it Flamey.

:kiss:

ReZ, please.

You act as though I have bad taste in comics.:awesome:

It's not a bad comic, but completely unnecessary, and adds nothing. The pacing is completely off (up to where I read) and it just rings hollow. Invincible is the only Kirkman superhero thing I've read really worth it.

I'm sure I'm the only one that cares but this is pretty awesome:

Here’s an update from Bryan Fuller himself: “Issue no. 1 will hopefully be out in early 2011, issue no. 2 is being colored as we speak, and issue no. 3 is being written. Our Emmy-Award winning composer Jim Dooley and I have been talking about giving the audience a multi-media experience with the comic—specifically a score. We have no idea whether we can actually afford to do an actual Pushing Daisies comic soundtrack (because the cast has agreed to sing songs and those licensing fees are expensive), but Jim has already started composing musical cues that we will either release officially or stream for freesies online when the comic book is published. I’ve already heard the track for Lee Pace’s cover-diddy and it’s fantastic.”

Anyone else ever done this? Not that the medium tends to attract stories that justify musical numbers but still I'm curious about it. Wonder if Glee will jump on the band waggon with their comic books :heh:

Well a lot of PD music is background anyway. Its only when you actively try and notice it you really....notice...it. At least that's the case for the musical score. I assume any actual songs sung will still be sung in the comics but if you want to hear Kristin Chenoweth actually singing you can. Besides, the people who buy this will probably be the hardcore fans and will either know about it or it'll be advertised in the comic itself somehow.

Still, the thought of more music is pleasing.

I need the tpb's from that era! (the "ReLoad" era or whatever)

Where did you get that one? Last I checked most were sold out/expensive on Amazon.

That Divided We Stand one I bought (posted in this thread) was really, really boring. Mike Choi's art is incredibly dull. I like the choice of villain, but the whole thing was CLEARLY filler.

I got it from my local comic book shop, id had trouble finding it online as well. I doubt i'll be getting all the ones from that era (before it changed to X-Men Legacy). I'll probably skip Golgotha as I remember that being crap, probably get Bizarre Love Triangle and Blood of Apocalypse though. If I remember right it was also in this series that Wolverine kissed Rogue, claiming he'd loved her for some time.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!