N-Europe

UK

Young Justice

j9avkm.jpg

Young Justice: In Young Justice, being a teenager means proving yourself over and over—to peers, parents, teachers, mentors and, ultimately, to yourself. But what if you’re not just a normal teenager? What if you’re a teenage super hero? Are you ready to join the ranks of the great heroes and prove you’re worthy of the Justice League? That’s exactly what the members of Young Justice—Robin, Aqualad, Kid Flash, Superboy, Miss Martian and Artemis—will find out, whether they have what it takes to be a proven hero. This all-new series is produced by Warner Bros. Animation and based upon characters from DC Comics. Sam Register (Teen Titans, Ben 10, Batman: The Brave and the Bold) is the executive producer. Brandon Vietti (Batman: Under the Red Hood, Superman Doomsday, The Batman) and Greg Weisman (Gargoyles, The Spectacular Spider-Man, W.I.T.C.H.) are the producers.

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReZourceman

• Happenstance

• Paj!

• Dan_Dare

Just use the actual team or don't. Artemis? Fuck off. Arrowette or nothing, in her red outfit.

Noticed how Aqualad is quite literally, the "token black guy". He's not black in the comics, making him so here just seems silly. Use an actual black character if you want to be completely PC. Ughghg

But DC cartoons are usually awesome so we'll see.

Just use the actual team or don't. Artemis? Fuck off. Arrowette or nothing, in her red outfit.

Noticed how Aqualad is quite literally, the "token black guy". He's not black in the comics, making him so here just seems silly. Use an actual black character if you want to be completely PC. Ughghg

But DC cartoons are usually awesome so we'll see.

Maybe of the copyright issues? It happened with Justice League Unlimited Aquaman and Batman villains and cast.

That looks alright. Sometimes the animation styles they choose for the animatied movies really annoys me. Especially when they struck perfection with Bruce Timm's animated DCU in the first place (well...second. The 1998 updated style is the definitive one I suppose).

--

Just finished all of All-Star Superman. Genuinely a stunning series, so concise yet so quintessentially Superman in all his silver-age glory. I just love Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely so much. It was actually a moving, intelligent, action-packed story, told of 12 issues (seems like more, so much happens!).

I love. Considering I'm so ambivalent to Superman.

It is rather awesome. I, too, don't care a great deal for The Man of Steel but ASSM is a quality read. Morrison just nails that silver age feel of 'anything is possible' which perfectly suits the man who can do anything.

You should read Red Son. I think you'd really dig it.

Siege: Spider-Man is good. Not as good as Young Avengers or Loki but it's a nice grudge match issue + a little bit of character development with Ms Marvel. Felt a little...temporary, like nothing of great consequence happens but whatever. Good read.

All the one shots have been good except Captain America, which was basically a reader's digest of Bucky Cap so far re: hero issues. Boring, retrodden and nowhere near as good as the Who Will Wield The Shield? one shot after Reborn. Ass issue

oh and the trade release of Siege is taking shape. The main issues are getting a trade, with the one shots and the 'embedded' series getting separate books.

Kind of fail. They should have put embedded in and made it an 8 issue trade. Tight bastards.

Probably going to buy it though- I haven't got the singles and I want a copy of the event.

A friend at college reads loads of comics, (which is great, cause apart from a select few, hardly anyone I know does) and he said Red Son was great.

I want to read All-Star Batman and see the joke atm though.

that place doesn't seem to have it, or at least, I don't know how to find it in the Request Thread without going through a zillion pages.

Its such a shame All Star Batman turned out crap because the art is just amazing from Jim Lee.

I read Siege: Spider-Man this morning, thought it was pretty good apart from Venom looking more like Brock than Gargan. Its funny, with me hating the loss of the marriage and BND so much you wouldnt think the pairing of Ms Marvel and Spider-Man but I think it works well. Shame it hasnt been mentioned in his own book at all but their date in Ms Marvel was pretty good.

Also read the Blackest Night Directors Cut, nice to read some of their thoughts on the series.

A friend at college reads loads of comics, (which is great, cause apart from a select few, hardly anyone I know does) and he said Red Son was great.

I want to read All-Star Batman and see the joke atm though.

that place doesn't seem to have it, or at least, I don't know how to find it in the Request Thread without going through a zillion pages.

ha! thought that was you.

Keep an eye out for me- going by Yossarian over there.

also liking the idea of ms Marvel and Spider-Man

They work somehow- totally different kinds of super hero but if you think about it she's one of, what, five people who know his name? She's really the only woman he knows that can offer a time out on his dual identity issues.

I just like the scene in her comic with Spidey and Ms Marvel sitting on a rooftop eating hotdogs after the failed posh restaurant date.

Were any of you guys reading the Avengers before disassembled? Thats when I started so I was just wondering what the last few stories were before it, would like to give them a read.

Its such a shame All Star Batman turned out crap because the art is just amazing from Jim Lee.

About to read issue 7 of it, and it's...interesting. Personally I think it's Jim Lee's art that makes the whole thing seem so weird and just wrong. If Miller was illustratiing it himself (and so making it more clearly a prequel to the DK books), I think it would all gel better. While Lee's artwork is obviously good and nice, and the juxtaposition of "definitive" Batman art with really jarring writing and stories is amusing, I think ultimately I would vastly have preferred if Frank had just done another artistic collaboration with Lynn Varley.

It's not just the art, obviously, but yeah. I don't think it helps. The alternate covers provided for some of the issues done by Miller are much more in line with the tone overall;

199248-18164-114960-2-all-star-batman--ro_super.jpg

AllStarBatmanRobinCv6.jpg

ASBAR-5-Cover.jpg

Edited by Paj!

Yeah to me thats just ugly

Well I guess that's personal taste. But I do think that his very tongue-in-cheek faux-noir writing of this comic would fit perfectly with his art, just like Sin City (which is kinda what it seems he was trying to recreate with this series, with varying degrees of success).

AllstarBatmanRobin3AlternateCover.jpg

51DxnIQrBQL.jpg

I'm actually quite stunned. I want the bottom one (lol...) as a poster.

noticed something from the initial solicits for Image in July

MAY10 0412 INVINCIBLE #75 $5.99

wonder what they have planned for Invincible if it's doubling the cost!

plus TWD has a buck added on to the price for it's #75

not that they'll make July at current publishing speeds ;)

noticed something from the initial solicits for Image in July

MAY10 0412 INVINCIBLE #75 $5.99

wonder what they have planned for Invincible if it's doubling the cost!

plus TWD has a buck added on to the price for it's #75

not that they'll make July at current publishing speeds ;)

Written by Robert Kirkman, art by Ryan Ottley, Cory Walker and Fco Plascencia, cover by Ottley and Plascencia.

The Viltrumite War continues! Invincible and the Coalition of planets bring the war to Planet Viltrum! All bets are off as the Coalition forces try to fight their way into the Viltrumite Empire's stronghold. Lives are lost, and a turning point in the war is reached. This issue features as special, over-sized main story and an extra special Science Dog back-up story by Kirkman and Walker.

48 pages, $5.99, in stores on July 21.

invincible75.jpg

So Science Dog unfortunately (Can't say I'm a huge fan)

Also no Wolf-Man solicit. Was 25 solicited last month or something?

Anyway preview of Invincible has to get read I reckon.

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1004/24/imagefirsts.htm

That was sweet. Quite interesting Robot development.

-----------

Oooooh Walking Dead #75

A very special back-up story drawn by Ryan Ottley in full color, a first for The Walking Dead! This issue is not to be missed.
Edited by ReZourceman

Bigger so people can actually see;

vi1ljp.jpg

I don't mind Kaare Andrews. I wouldn't say it's ugly. It's just kinda bizarre in a bad way. Cyclops is fine...Emma's design is just weird and very un-like her. Short and stout as opposed to tall and gracious, etc. The hair is weird too.

I think he did the art to Spider-Man; Reign. It was cool there...kinda Frank Miller-lite/not as good, but it fit with the story, which was also very much in the vein of Dark Knight Returns, only with Spider-Man instead.

Edit: I'm stunned! He designed the package/art for If It Was You by Tegan and Sara. I love that cover.

Edited by Paj!

So yeah I'm doing "superheroes" for my next big project, or rather using the inagery and sybolism of superheroes, an possibily connecting it to some interesting ancient religious/spiritual diagram stuff, but that's ages away yet.

Just looking at the concept of archetypes, and how Grant Morrison wrote his JLA team to be an allegory of the Green Gods...right now I'm seeing how to fit DC super-heroes into Jungian story archetypes, and my interpretation of the JLA team is too essential;

Superman = Hero

Batman = Wise Old Man

Green Lantern = The Witch (it makes sense if you read what it entails)

Wonder Woman = Earth Mother

Plastic Man = Trickster

Martian Manhunter = Magician

Lois Lane = Maiden (intrinsically tied to the Hero)

I'm so tempted to leave out Manhunter, he lowers the tone by not bringing anything needed or unique. But then 7 is the magic number.

Dunno why I posted that, and I'm really loosely taking Jung's jokes as my own, but I love the concept of 7, and how it's so powerful and recurring, even if one of the 7 isn't even on the team. (And I love how Flash isn't there. Sorry)