N-Europe

Blue-ray or HD-DVD?

motion

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BluRay vs HD-DVD vs DD (digital dist.): if you can get a HD film for half the cost of the others in a 'few' hours at the touch of a button. What would you do!!!??

I would order it online and wait a day. A small price to pay to have my own disk I could take anywhere I wanted.

Motion is right, say you buy movies on Virgin what happens when you want to switch to BT Vision? They wouldn't let you use the same box so those films stored will be lost.

Who knows...

But we aren't talking now, we're talking 5 years in the furture, maybe more!! The VHS/Betamax war went on for ~10 years!!

But you don't lose you iTunes purchases if you swith to Windows Media Player, and you can burn them on CD.

And Motion tell you friends not to be so cheap!! :P

Yeah but Sony is the most stubborn company ever and they weren't going to drop Betamax. Right now Blu-Ray is winning and also people are earning alot more than people were back then. It means more sales so the divide between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will become bigger.

Digital Distribution really isn't part of this argument anyhow. Its 5-10 years away from being mainstream and the kinks being worked out.

Blu Ray will win this format war and then fizzle out once an IPTV standard can be found

I like how things are atm. Least in America. You can download a rental version of a film and pay a couple quid for it and have a few days to watch it. But if you want to own something you have to buy the DVD/other disc formats to HAVE it.

Slowly everything will begin to move to DD but right now, no one really feels comfortable with it. However, iTunes music store is one place where we do feel comfortable with DD, so it'll take one great fool proof ish service, and a few years before we see this happening with films methinks.

Yup, I definitely see blu ray winning, the right option is waiting until 4-5th gen players and prices sub 150 pounds.

Yup, I'm not buying one untill they get to about that price. When the players get down to that price, thats when the war will kick off. So far hd-dvd have the cheaper standalone players, though still not really cheap enough for the average consumer.

I like how things are atm. Least in America. You can download a rental version of a film and pay a couple quid for it and have a few days to watch it. But if you want to own something you have to buy the DVD/other disc formats to HAVE it.

Slowly everything will begin to move to DD but right now, no one really feels comfortable with it. However, iTunes music store is one place where we do feel comfortable with DD, so it'll take one great fool proof ish service, and a few years before we see this happening with films methinks.

iTunes is a pile of poo. They give you crap license restrictions that are guaranteed to be broken. At least they are rubbish at coding DRM, if they weren't then i'd never shop from them again!#

I'll probably have a BD drive in my computer by Christmas. T

hey are down to around the £130 mark already and given they launched around £300 i can see them being little over £50 by then

iTunes is a pile of poo. They give you crap license restrictions that are guaranteed to be broken. At least they are rubbish at coding DRM, if they weren't then i'd never shop from them again!#

I'll probably have a BD drive in my computer by Christmas. T

hey are down to around the £130 mark already and given they launched around £300 i can see them being little over £50 by then

My reference was kinda more about peoples attitudes and the drm-free stuff.

PS3 is a good priced, quality BD player. So when that comes down in price, the war is over.

Has Sony ever won a format war!??

BetaMax, Mini-Disc, UMD, there was a tape one that bombed as well I believe...

Not a great track record is it??

Nope but the PS3 is a major part of it's plan. PS2 helped uptake of DVD significantly and PS3 is acting as both a trojan horse for gamers and a cheap BD player for other people.

PS3 is pretty much guaranteed to remain the cheapest fully featured BD player for some time, and as price goes down, penetration increases. Key difference here is that the HD-DVD drive is separate on 360 and most people can't be arsed with 2 separate machines to watch a film.

UMD and Mini-Disc fucked up cos who wants to rebuy their media for very little benefits? You would be more likely to rip your DVDs and stick them on a memory stick on the PSP. BD offers a significant increase over DVD to justify buying some DVDs again-like say the matrix (which is only on HD-DVD i think atm).

Has Sony ever won a format war!??

BetaMax, Mini-Disc, UMD, there was a tape one that bombed as well I believe...

Not a great track record is it??

Er, DVD? it's not just Sony who are involved in blue-ray you know...

Guest Jordan

Well we had 2 formats of DVD for ages. DVD+ and DVD-, neither won technically since they just started making dual format drives.

I honestly think thats exactly whats going to happen this time round.

Well we had 2 formats of DVD for ages. DVD+ and DVD-, neither won technically since they just started making dual format drives.

I honestly think thats exactly whats going to happen this time round.

Maybe, there are already players that play both BD and HD-DVD and Discs that can work on both i think.

Difference is that DVD+ and - only really affected computers, not people who just wanted to watch a film.

As Cube says. But the peson moaning about 'waiting' Hours for downloads:

1) Eventually Britain will catch up with the rest of the developed world and get fast broadband! (>20MBS)

2) I don't know how long it takes for you to get your Amazon/Play etc. disks delivered but mine take at least 1-2 days!!

Finally I have never seen more than a few HD format discs in HMV/Virgin shops, they don't look like they're catching on too fast!

I don't want to download HD films. I like having DVDs and HD DVDs. Music is different as it's something you want to carry around.

Also Takeo Planet Earth is on HD DVD I think as well.

I don't want to download HD films. I like having DVDs and HD DVDs. Music is different as it's something you want to carry around.

Also Takeo Planet Earth is on HD DVD I think as well.

*cums*

I've only saw it on BD but all news is good news :D

For the average consumer, none. There are some very techy differences though, but none are really an issue unless you are running a £10k home theatre system (in which case Blu Ray is better)

Er, DVD? it's not just Sony who are involved in blue-ray you know...

Sony didn't win the DVD thing, if anything they lost. They're intention was to make a more reliable DVD standard to replace DVD-R. In reality all they succeeded in was confusing consumers and pissing off the DVD forum.

Link to an independant poll I'm taking up on my other board. All footy fans, some techy some not. A good spread of 16-40 y.o. males (the HD audience)

Looking at the results 2 things:

1) Nintendo seems to be right about the uptake of HD, not even 35%!

2) Blu-ray and HD-DVD have a loooong way to go yet!!

http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=40668

• 3 weeks later...