Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Pokemon RPG Wii

Ant-Shimmin

As long as Nintendo up the graphics on their next handheld Pokémon game (Diamond and Pearl could surely have looked better), I'll be happy. An online home console RPG would be great, but if Nintendo were going to do it, they'd have done it by now.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pokemon itself as an MMO wont work...

Why not? It'd be like World of Warcraft.

Instead of "warrior", "paladin" and "mage" classes, you have "trainer", "healer" and "breeder" classes (among others like "coordinator" and "watcher" - the latter could implement Pokemon Snap elements).

You don't have different races, but you have different nationalities - so players start off in different regions, like Kanto, Johto, Orange Islands, etc.

And it would work like this: gym bosses and important Pokemon/characters will be non-interactive AI, but everyone else is an online player. You can team up with other online players, and form your own clan and travel the Pokemon world with them, or play it alone.

The general Pokemon trainer's aim is to defeat the Elite Four or equivalent, and become a Pokemon Master.

The breeder's aim is successfully breed hundreds of pokemon, and get recognised for it.

Coordinators must win lots of talent shows.

Watchers generally try to get their art work/photos published.

And healers must try to attain a certificate in Pokemon veterinary care.

Finally, the villains of the game are Team Rocket, and a sub-quest is to thwart their evil plans.

As long as Nintendo up the graphics on their next handheld Pokémon game (Diamond and Pearl could surely have looked better), I'll be happy. An online home console RPG would be great, but if Nintendo were going to do it, they'd have done it by now.

Well you never know, Nintendo have really only started to get into online gaming now. Assuming the life cycle of Wii is until 2012, theres still some time left for the ULTIMATE Pokemon game to be developed/made on Wii...

Diamond & Pearl are visually great. The mixture of 2D and 3D is done so expertly and it looks great. Full 3D games on the DS hardly ever look great and are usually fairly small in comparison to the world that is in DP. It'd look horrible. Especially in battle with all 493 Pokemon, each with shiny forms, 455 attacks all needing to be animated and look good...it wouldn't have been pretty thats for sure

As I said, a MMO game for Pokemon wont work firstly due to Nintendo's Online Strategy. They are adamant that Friend Codes are the way to go and they promote safe gaming...this is not possible in a MMORPG

Plus things like gyms, leagues etc are also not viable on a MMO, plus legendary Pokemon...there only being one of each, it'd be mania.

In my expert opinion as head PokéGeek in the world (joke), I just don't see it working

A Pokemon RPG in 3D wouldn't be that great if it had the same basic battle system as the 2D games. They'd have to change the battle system and they'll never do that.

Also, Game Freak developers specifically said that Pokemon RPGs were meant for handhelds.

WHUERGH perhaps? The sound of air.

Pokemon itself is a handheld franchise. Thats how it works so well, being able to play anywhere and everywhere. A Home Console version just wouldn't fit right. Nintendo knows this and thats why the console games have essentially been side-games and spin-offs

Well I guess that answers those questions.

What about this one

"If a tree falls onto a Mime Artist, does he make a sound?"

I think a Pokemon MMO would be great, but as stated before the friend code system just doesnt lend itself to it. Unless you couldn't talk to other people and could only battle them. Then you could only chat to people on your friend list. I don't see that as being much different, security wise, to playing random ranked matches in Mario Strikers.

There were console RPGs...they went a different way from the main games and people bitched...its why Nintendo went back to just Stadium style with Battle Revolution

A MMORPG is never going to happen. It goes against Nintendo's Online Strategy. MMORPGs cannot work with friend codes

Pokemon itself is a handheld franchise. Thats how it works so well, being able to play anywhere and everywhere. A Home Console version just wouldn't fit right. Nintendo knows this and thats why the console games have essentially been side-games and spin-offs

the thing is if you had an mmorpg pokemon game the pokemon world would be way to crowded if you know what i mean. could you imagine having to decline 1m [/hyperbole] battles on you way from little root to sandgem.

plus what happens if you like pokemon but you can't get your console online those people would feel like nintendo abandoned them

Nintendo own PART of the franchise. Its a 1st Party Franchise yes but the game development isnt by Nintendo, its Gamefreak

Not so. Pokemon is wholly owned by Nintendo (via their Pokemon USA Inc. and Pokemon Co. subsidiaries).

Game Freak is a second party developer Nintendo delegates to make the HANDHELD RPG games. They do not own the franchise, nor even part own.

If Nintendo wanted another company (lets say HAL Labs) to make a Pokemon RPG, they can. And just for the record, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is by Chunsoft, Pokemon Ranger and Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 by HAL Labs, and the GC/Wii games by Genius Sonority.

EDIT: HAL Lab's Pokemon Ranger is an RPG, so that's proof enough.

• 5 months later...

I don't know what Nintendo has against this game idea. It would sell so much, it's a shame they don't actually want to cater to their fans.

If it was anything like WoW, in terms of depth and span (you know, an actual living/breathing universe, with all the regions, all the gyms and all the Pokémon), I'd gladly pay £8 a month.

And WoW isn't exactly graphically the best game in the world, is it now? The Wii could easily run a game with those graphics, although a hard-drive would be essential I guess.

I hope they're secretly developing this title. It would make everyone happy, and they could even tie in the release of a hard-drive too.

I don't know what Nintendo has against this game idea. It would sell so much, it's a shame they don't actually want to cater to their fans.

If it was anything like WoW, in terms of depth and span (you know, an actual living/breathing universe, with all the regions, all the gyms and all the Pokémon), I'd gladly pay £8 a month.

And WoW isn't exactly graphically the best game in the world, is it now? The Wii could easily run a game with those graphics, although a hard-drive would be essential I guess.

I hope they're secretly developing this title. It would make everyone happy, and they could even tie in the release of a hard-drive too.

I agree anyone who thinks this won't work really is just unimiginative.

As I said before, Pokemon was developed to be played on the go, as a handheld game. It cannot translate well to the console. The developers recognise this, I just don't see why other people cant

Completely agree. Pokémon just wouldn't be the same if I had to keep going back to my Wii. Pokémon is on the go, from the car, train, bed, sofa to the toilet.

Why not have it so you can transfer your pokemon to an "on-the-go" setting as well? Sort of the reverse of the Stadium games I guess.

What would happen is that you would build a team on the Wii in the main RPG and then be able to transfer them to a cart on the DS then go looking for "action" as it were. The main bulk of the RPG would be on the big console, but you coul level your pokemon on the go with the DS and play training matches etc.

Can you reply again after reading the above posts.

"on the go" = backwards thinking.

Zelda was made to be played at home, did that stop the portable versions? Phantom Hourglass, imo, is better than the last home console offering.

I'm absolutely certain that given they make obvious changes to the combat system, Pokemon could very easily be an online/home-console RPG. The GameCube games showed us that, albeit with flaws.

Doubt, such as "it was developed to play on the go", isn't really an excuse.

I don't want to see a mmorpg just because I don't want to be paying every month to play it. And yes the sacred pokemons and gyms wouldn't work that well....

HOWEVER, and this is my dream :p , I'd like to see a first person (!) rpg\adventure where you would enter huge and dark florests and fighting wild pokemons, sailing through great oceans just to find a rare gyrados. well you get the idea. with the wii remote you move the camera and when necessary you launch pokeballs pressing a key. Than you have dpad to choose your pokemon attack.

You get the ideia.... :)

yeah I dream a lot

Nintendo will NEVER do this for home consoles as we would want it to be. Nintendo always thinks about its future first before giving any mere fan what he or she wants. Pokemon with great graphics and online play is the next Gameboy pokemon fad. Pokemon is on it's last legs now.

I however feel the future of Pokemon lie with the Wii; a great online rpg that we crave and that will go against other offerings on other consoles, they could also do something with pokeballs and waggle. Does anyone remember how you got info about the characters in Super paper Mario? I feel something like that would make a great pokedex...But what do I know?

It would take too long to make and by the time it was finished the next console would be just around the corner. Pokemon is best played as a 2-D game. It just doesn't transfer very well to 3-D. Its not going to happen for a very long time if it ever happens. I wouldn't mind a pokemon mmorpg for the DS though, thats something that could actually happen.

Pokemon is best played as a 2-D game. It just doesn't transfer very well to 3-D.

People always say that but really its down to the how would we know if they don't try factor. Colloseum and XD were simply poor games in theory, but I found the slight increase in content in XD to be a bit more pleasurable. But it still contained repeated uninspiring locations, with uninspiring generic keyboard music, lame characters, simple storyline which is all amplified by having bad choices of pokemon to choose from. On a home console they could really reinvent the series and be put on the level of a Final fantasy storywise if they really wanted to...But why should they when any piece of garbage with the name 'Pokemon' sales. But expect this when you got like 50+ execs running the show.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!