N-Europe

A shift in support?

Retro_Link

http://www.cubed3.com/news/7914/1/Bandai_Namco,_Capcom_&_Sega_Focus_on_Wii%20and%20DS,_not_PS3

Nintendo News | Bandai Namco, Capcom & Sega Focus on Wii/DS, not PS3

Quick News - It is being reported that Bandai Namco, Sega and Capcom will all be turning their focus to Nintendo's Wii & DS rather than PSP and PS3 due to disappointing sales of Sony's platforms. The report on Nikkei states the companies are rapidly shifting sides.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nikkei.co.jp%2Fnews%2Fmain%2F20070625AT1D210BD22062007.html&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8

If that's true about all three companies, it will have a major impact!

haha your right, I hadn't realised our news section was so on the ball!

Good work!

:D I think Cube and Tellyn in particular deserve a special shout out, but the rest of the staff are on the ball, too.

So, hmm, are developers basing this on the PS3's poor start?

This was obvious whichever console took the lead, we would have seen the same thing if the PS3 was selling out like Wii.

Tis good to see the Arcade Devs upping the support though! I'd love some big arcade classics coming to Wii!!

Some really encouraging news on Nintendos part lately... The perception of value with Wii is becoming stronger than any other Nintendo system since Super Nintendo, evident by BIG NAME publishers starting to provide greater support with more games including exclusives and big name multiplatforms that have never even entered a Nintendo console slot before...

Another company that see the benefits of developing on Wii are THQ, who had this to say...

http://www.cubed3.com/news/7890/1/THQ:_High-end_doesn’t_belong_on_Wii

Nintendo News | THQ: High-end doesn’t belong on Wii

In a recent interview with Brian Farrell, CEO of billion-dollar video game publisher THQ, he discusses budgeting for upcoming games, specifically with the Wii being considerably different from the high-definition efforts from Sony and Microsoft.

Q: What are team sizes and game budgets like?

A: We’re over 100 on some of the teams. We have a very diverse portfolio. At the real high end, we have teams over 100 that are still doing a fair amount of outsourcing of no-critical tasks to Asia or Eastern Europe. On the younger-skewing titles that aren’t as technically ambitious, the teams are still in the 30 or 60 range.

Q: And the budgets?

A: It depends on the type of game. When you are aiming high, with a genre-defining game like Saint’s Row, you can spend $15 million to $20 million at the high end. On the core wrestling games where we are expanding the graphics and modes, and we already have the core wrestling technology with our WWE franchise, you’re on the lower end of that range. Now that we have technology up and running on all of the next-generation systems, to take some of our games like the Pixar stuff Cars or Ratatouille to next-generation, we can use existing technology. So it’s nowhere near that range. It depends on where you are aiming and your market segmentation. Now that I’ve said that, that is a big theme of ours we are trying to communicate. We think this next-generation is all about segmenting the market. It’s no longer about taking one game and putting it on all platforms. The guy doing Frontlines isn’t going to put it on the Wii. It belongs on the Xbox 360, PS 3 and the PC. It’s a high-end, core gamer multiplayer title. It doesn’t belong on the Wii. There are some things I can’t talk about on the Wii that we don’t want to put on the PS 3 or Xbox 360.

Q: Are the Wii titles coming out at half the cost?

A: Yes, and sometimes even less than that. Where costs are occurring in this generation are in asset and content creation. And since the Wii is not high-definition, and it can still look good. You have to remember a lot of game systems aren’t yet hooked up to high-def TVs. Content creation is costing all the money. With the Wii, you can look great at a third of the cost sometimes. The business model on the Wii works.

As I predicted earlier in several threads. As the Wii gained momentum and size it would pull in more developers. Then it's a self perpetuating cycle. As the Wii grows, more developers join, as more developers join the Wii grows more, as the Wii continues to grow even more developers join and switch their resources over to it.

The same is true in the opposite direction. As the PS3 shrinks and developers move away it will experience a shrinking market. It's exactly the same as what happened in the last generation, the PS2 gained such momentum it was unstoppable.

I don't like what that THQ guy's saying. Why don't high-end core gamer titles belong on Wii? It seems like they're not taking it serious, could just be me though.
Yeah at first I didn't really like the comments but I think they can be a bit misunderstood.

Basically there's a high end game - a game of high quality - like say Twilight Princess, Resi 4, No More Heroes etc... that can be done on Wii,

Then there are high end games - high production value, high quality HD graphics etc. - that aren't actually possible on Wii.

...maybe?!

Keep the momentum high!

Now I hope at E3 we see a wealth of exclusive heavy hitting games announced for Wii. Its time to get taken seriously by developers now. Games for all ages, all genres must be presented. Third parties in particular need to bring some big guns to the party now.

I don't like what that THQ guy's saying. Why don't high-end core gamer titles belong on Wii? It seems like they're not taking it serious, could just be me though.

I think he means high-end budget, which is fair enough. No one is going to spend something like $20 million on one Wii game, it's simply hard to imagine that sort of budget being possible to be spent on one game.

Some facts for you all:

Namco Bandai are currently developing 37 Wii games (Considerably more then the PS3 / 360).

Capcom have a total of 6 Wii games in developement (exclusiding Resi Evil 4).

EA have 17 + Wii games (again more then any other platform).

Konami have 3 more exclusive Wii projects in developement.

Grasshopper Interactive have 2 more exclusive Wii titles planned.

They're all the companies I've asked / got from press releases who I can remember the stats of at the moment. The shift is going with the Wii, the big question now is will they deliver the quality? The quantity is certainly fufilled so we're half way there.