NEurope
Retro_Link

Soul Calibur IV

I'm still trying to perform a Critical Finish, but I'm definitely messing up somewhere.

The enemy's soul gauge flashes red, that's when to do it (Just press LB). But I'm certain I'm missing something out, and I'm thinking that because it's not happening...:wtf:

I hope it's something simple. It should be, because I'm a retard. :heh:

The best thing to do is to get the gem red and health flashing. Once you do this just do 1 hit at a time and as soon as the gem breaks hit LB.

Use Yung Sung or whatever hes called, the guy with he banada and little sword. Just do his forward Y Y move and the gem will smash in no time. If you create a one with Soul Gauge damage and hes at level 9 he will cause a critical hit in 6 moves. I spent a good hour doing event 11 over and over yesterday just to get 100 critical finishes, pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

MY 360 LIVES!!!!!! :yay:

I've fixed the drive problem (invalidated my warranty doing so, but meh), tested it out on my broken Gears disk (which DREs in the menus) and it boots that game so i think everything is ok now. Just need to pluck up the courage to pop in a working game!

Off to town in a bit to see what Gamestation can do about fixing my Soul Calibur disk, fingers crossed :indeed: Then i just need the screwdrivers that open the 360 controller and *hopefully* i can fix that too!

Blocking seems to have gone out the window, it's not very responsive. Some characters (Talim, for example) have been nerfed to the point of being useless and others (like Lizardman) are incredibly cheap. I hate the way Lizardman can crawl along the ground, his attacks are quite powerful when he's like that, and he's far more difficult to hit!

Basically it's not a patch on SCII and never will be. Hopefully patches will improve things though.

Well thats good to hear....the blocking thing doesn't really bother me as I never used to block that much, have always played attacking up close and personal with Maxi. Lizardman does seem really bizarre the way he shuffles along the floor...

So tempted to get this now...but pretty skint and should really hold out until I get paid on the 15th...

I've been playing the PS3 version (at work) and I haven't found a problem with the blocking. If anything, it's much better than 3.

Ok so picked this up... Not played much yet either to be honest. Jumped straight in with my favourite Maxi and did his story mode and felt just like I was playing Soul Calibur 2 all over again...

Then gave Vader a go on story mode and actually didn't enjoy playing as him really....I thought his back story was kinda amusing how they managed to fit him into the game...

Owing to my cycling injury I picked up today (check chit chat) had to take a rest as my hands are killing, but will be back on later if people fancy any online fun! If you don't have me on your PSN list my name is flameboyNE

It's my birthday next week so I may well be picking this game up. Not sure yet though as I've said all along I wasn't going to but now I've seen it and everyone's playing it I need it!

It's my birthday next week so I may well be picking this game up. Not sure yet though as I've said all along I wasn't going to but now I've seen it and everyone's playing it I need it!

which format would you get it on?

360 and I caved and decided to buy it. Ordered it on Amazon. Will be good to play over my Birthday weekend.

Got it on 360 because I prefer to play SC with an analogue stick and prefer the 360 pad for that.

360 and I caved and decided to buy it. Ordered it on Amazon. Will be good to play over my Birthday weekend.

Got it on 360 because I prefer to play SC with an analogue stick and prefer the 360 pad for that.

thats fair enough I guess!

Yeah, any other fighters I'd be getting on the PS3. If I buy Street Fighter 4 I'll be getting it on PS3.

Just beat Story mode with Yoda, got one more character to unlock now and that is The Apprentice. Just have to beat him as Yoda now on Arcade to do so i think.

No, no.

The character has to "flash" an red lightening sort of thing and their bar will go black.

Umm...I'm going to ignore your so-called "advice" and take what is below. :heh:

The best thing to do is to get the gem red and health flashing. Once you do this just do 1 hit at a time and as soon as the gem breaks hit LB.

Use Yung Sung or whatever hes called, the guy with he banada and little sword. Just do his forward Y Y move and the gem will smash in no time. If you create a one with Soul Gauge damage and hes at level 9 he will cause a critical hit in 6 moves. I spent a good hour doing event 11 over and over yesterday just to get 100 critical finishes, pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

When the gem breaks? Okay then.

I'll take what you just said, HoT, and keep it in mind for when I play it again.

I also went through Arcade on Edge Master difficulty hoping to have an opponent perform it on my character, so I could at least see what one of them looked like. (I saw Astaroth's, btw.)

SCIV sold well in UK. :)

01 (01) [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo)

02 (02) [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)

03 (__) [360] Soulcalibur Iv (Ubisoft)

04 (07) [WII] Big Beach Sports (Thq)

05 (03) [NDS] Guitar Hero: On Tour (Activision Blizzard)

06 (__) [PS3] Soulcalibur Iv (Ubisoft)

07 (04) [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)

08 (06) [NDS] Dr Kawashima's Brain Training (Nintendo)

09 (05) [WII] Super Smash Bros: Brawl (Nintendo)

10 (10) [WII] Carnival: Funfair Games (Take 2)

Yes UbiSoft are the publishers for SCIV in Europe just like Capcom are the publishers rockstar games in Japan.

SCIV sold well in UK. :)

01 (01) [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo)

02 (02) [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)

03 (__) [360] Soulcalibur Iv (Ubisoft)

04 (07) [WII] Big Beach Sports (Thq)

05 (03) [NDS] Guitar Hero: On Tour (Activision Blizzard)

06 (__) [PS3] Soulcalibur Iv (Ubisoft)

07 (04) [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)

08 (06) [NDS] Dr Kawashima's Brain Training (Nintendo)

09 (05) [WII] Super Smash Bros: Brawl (Nintendo)

10 (10) [WII] Carnival: Funfair Games (Take 2)

Sad state of affairs seeing Big Beach Sports up there!

Anyway back to SCIV. I am loving it still. Whilst I am a long term fan of the game I don't claim to be the best player ever. But I have so much fun playing it! I lot of the high end play is above my head. But having said that I think I still have room for improvement. I have struggled online with Maxi if anyone plays as any characters that have a long range it can be hard to get up close like I can.

Have played quite a few online games and enjoyed them. Mostly got my arse kicked but still had a good time. One thing though why is the filter for who you play and what level they are go +10,+20,+30 etc...why is there no option to play players of similar levels. One final thing how come on the PS3 version when you click Friends Match it just says no rooms open, wheres the friends invite system?

With that in mind...anyone on PS3 playing this and not added my PS3 ID?!

I'm having serious issues with that 450K arcade achievement... ¬_¬

The Asteroth method is at best difficult to pull off due to the hold diagonal down X move can often pull off a different one which isn't useful.

I've been using Cervantes (sp) X + Y and back or Y + B and back but obviously you can't guard break in single player with any modifications so if they block you're often fucked.

I'm having serious issues with that 450K arcade achievement... ¬_¬

The Asteroth method is at best difficult to pull off due to the hold diagonal down X move can often pull off a different one which isn't useful.

I've been using Cervantes (sp) X + Y and back or Y + B and back but obviously you can't guard break in single player with any modifications so if they block you're often fucked.

I did it first time using the Asteroth method. I found it easier to pull off with the D-Pad rather than the analogue stick. I just did a low swing with a big chop down ( Y ) and watched the perfects roll in :)

I finally got my 10,000 meters achievy last night. Me and my mate just put it on a player match, 5 rounds with 80 seconds per match and ran circles around each other. You get well over 1,000 meters everytime you do it.

btw quick question...what is the size of the install on Soul Calibur on PS3? thought of giving it a go if it speeds up by a reasonable amount...although to be honest it doesn't take that long to load.

Tower of Souls is a walkthrough if you use Astaroth with Drain HP A and Soul Edge. You can pretty much spam his diagonal down back and X ( hold ) move followed by the Y button. Its how I got my score achievement in arcade aswell :)

Was playing a guy online yesterday who was doing that! Saw him slaughter the other 3 people on the server with barely a scratch! :shakehead

I've never heard an American teenager as pissed off as he was when i chose the smallest arena and got him with a ring-out 15 seconds in :p He was literally screaming at me! :bowdown:

Anyway back to SCIV. I am loving it still. Whilst I am a long term fan of the game I don't claim to be the best player ever. But I have so much fun playing it! I lot of the high end play is above my head. But having said that I think I still have room for improvement. I have struggled online with Maxi if anyone plays as any characters that have a long range it can be hard to get up close like I can.

The flying kick is Maxi's solution to that problem, practice doing it without a run-up and you'll quickly have something that can get you back in to the action. There's a few jumping nunchuck moves that are useful for closing gaps aswell. I can't remember the button combos off the top of my head though so you'll have to look in the moves list for em.

The key to beating someone like Kilik (assuming the other person ain't very good) is to flying kick as soon as the round starts and then keep up an offensive for the whole round. If you stay on top of him there's buger all most players can do about it! Use horizontal combos when he's on the ground, they're a lot more difficult to dodge when you get up than vertical combos and kicks are. Most players go straight for an attack as soon as they stand up, and as Maxi is faster they're pretty much buggered from the off if they don't accidentally dodge the attack.

btw quick question...what is the size of the install on Soul Calibur on PS3? thought of giving it a go if it speeds up by a reasonable amount...although to be honest it doesn't take that long to load.

Just over 2Gigs I think.

I took so much abuse from an American gamer yesterday, me using Maxi and he was using Nightmare. Everytime he went for an attack, i jumped over him and smacked him with a few nunchuck attacts from behind and even got a few ring outs over him. Then later on, he said change character, so i did to Yoda and you really should of heard the language coming out of his mouth when he saw who i was and how he couldn't even hit me. Laugh Out Loud moment that was

Was playing a guy online yesterday who was doing that! Saw him slaughter the other 3 people on the server with barely a scratch! :shakehead

I've never heard an American teenager as pissed off as he was when i chose the smallest arena and got him with a ring-out 15 seconds in :p He was literally screaming at me! :bowdown:

The flying kick is Maxi's solution to that problem, practice doing it without a run-up and you'll quickly have something that can get you back in to the action. There's a few jumping nunchuck moves that are useful for closing gaps aswell. I can't remember the button combos off the top of my head though so you'll have to look in the moves list for em.

The key to beating someone like Kilik (assuming the other person ain't very good) is to flying kick as soon as the round starts and then keep up an offensive for the whole round. If you stay on top of him there's buger all most players can do about it! Use horizontal combos when he's on the ground, they're a lot more difficult to dodge when you get up than vertical combos and kicks are. Most players go straight for an attack as soon as they stand up, and as Maxi is faster they're pretty much buggered from the off if they don't accidentally dodge the attack.

Yeah that does make sense to use that technique with Maxi. I have actually taken to playing with Kilik now and Sophita (which has surprised me but she has a lot of good moves!)

Anyway here are my attempts at creating the TMNT, please note they are works in progress...

image-upload-185-724649.jpg

image-upload-132-700780.jpg

One feature I really really wish they had was if you beat someones custom character you can add it to one of your 50 slots...I saw a sweat Sub Zero holding Soul Calibur....

OMG £5 to the first person to make a green lanturn SC IV char :P