NEurope
Demuwan

Madden NFL 08

I was just saying that if no-one told me the that was Wii I would assume it was 360, because the graphics look really nice.

cool dude, thought you meant the 360 version looked poor.. way off the mark lol

good that the Wii version looks very nice. shame not all 3rd party games on the Wii are pushing the machine's graphical abilities.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/23439.html

Its the 360/PS3 version review, thought the fans would want to watch this regardless :)

Nice one HoT :smile:

Sounds like EA have really nailed it this year , although the return of the cheating AI is a concern. They managed to virtually eradicate it over the last couple of years (most prominent in 05's debacle) so why it has returned christ only knows.

Just waiting for the review of the Wii version now. I may end up buying both. :p

What is EA Nation like does anyone here know? Is ti a good online system as I cant wait to use it.

cool dude, thought you meant the 360 version looked poor.. way off the mark lol

good that the Wii version looks very nice. shame not all 3rd party games on the Wii are pushing the machine's graphical abilities.

The Wii version has the exact same graphics as last years one, which were almost identical to the PS2 version. IGN confirmed this in their Wii-kly aswell. That said, it looks like the best version of Madden this year.

By the way is everyone up for some launch day fun with madden online? Nearer the time we should add each others msns or something and get the madden party started!

Err, lets get used to the controls first on it. :p

Thats what Madden 07 is for ;)

IGN review is up.

In parts it sounds like EA have somehow managed to botch this slightly. The review seems to highlight even more glitches than last year and I think EA have spent more time worrying about the multiplayer aspect.

I would prefer to have a more perfect single player/franchise experience and non of this party mode crap. I hope this isn't indicative of how all Wii games will eventually go.

It's not a bad review as such but it doesn't seem that EA have made massive improvements in the correct areas and that is disappointing.

I am seriously thinking of finding a way of affording an XBox 360 and going down that route instead.

Let's wait for other reviews first. This is just one opinion.

Thats what Madden 07 is for ;)

I don't have it :(

Oh, and the bugs don't sound so bad. The controls are improved, and while there's some dodgy AI, it sounds like a great game. I think I'm still going to get this, and if it's shit, I'll just trade it for something else. I may get this and the 360 version as well anyway. :)

Hmm the review doesnt look that bad. Apart from the lag in the online play. Hopefully this is just early sorting issues? Cmon EA bring this one home!

Early signs seem to indicate that the review was more positive than it should have been. Looking at some of the feedback on the gamespot forums has me really thinking that EA have screwed up.

If half of what is being reported is confirmed/true then my pre-order is being cancelled , although I just can't see how a game that was so awesome in '07 can suddenly hit the shitter so bad.

I shall reserve judgement for a while yet , but I certainly am not looking forward to this as much as I initially was. The quicker this exclusivity deal expires and 2k games get back into competition the better.

People tend to speak out more when there's something wrong. What you won't see are all of the happy customers. I'm waiting for more reviews, and if I get it and it has problems, I'm gonna take it back and get a refund.

I see IGN managed to tone down the embargo on reviews from 9.0/10 minimum to 8.5/10.

People tend to speak out more when there's something wrong.

A fair and valid point and the reason why I am still undecided.

I just don't remember seeing this much negativity about the '07 version so the signs can't be good , but I am hoping that in a few days those that have been enjoying it will start posting some of the more positive aspects of this years update.

I suppose there is at least one advantage to having to wait a little while for PAL games after all.

That review seemed good cmon guys we can have an awesome time with this online by the looks of it!

Who cares what they think? The only real opinion of a game when it comes right down to it, is your own really.

Who cares what they think? The only real opinion of a game when it comes right down to it, is your own really.
People only say that to bad reviews :bouncy:

Not really. There are highly rated games like Halo 2 which I think are horse shit, and I think only my own opinion counts for it.

Nice one HoT :smile:

Sounds like EA have really nailed it this year , although the return of the cheating AI is a concern. They managed to virtually eradicate it over the last couple of years (most prominent in 05's debacle) so why it has returned christ only knows.

I dunno, Madden 05 was my favourite Madden since 02. Last year was pretty bad though, especially with pass coverage. Sure, they eliminated jet packing. But teams could easily put bombs on Champ Bailey for TDs (considering he did give up a grand total of 0 TDs last year) yet when one of my WRs burned the opposing defensive backs and slung it there would be a miraculous catch up and a swat. Also the 2 minute warning AI boost is insane.

In the end 07 was poor. They just made the game completely offensive and you just ended up in a shoot out. Not to mention that my running game was magically snuffed out in some games by someone like the Browns (failing to get more than 2ypc...and trust me, I run it properly, mixing up the plays, waiting for the running lanes to open up). If it happened occasionally I wouldn't be so bothered but it happened frequently. And considering I'm a run-first person that majorly pissed me off.

Is the Wii AI and stuff done separately? Because I'm traditionally a PC Maddener...staying that way this year too. Might pick it up for Wii if I can get it on the cheap. I just like the PC one for the editing.

I dunno, Madden 05 was my favourite Madden since 02.

The main problem I found with '05 and the two/three preceding versions was that it actually became possible to predict which drive (sometimes even which play) would end with the AI stitching you up with a turnover and that was far from ideal.

In all honesty though I spent less time on '05 than previous versions because by this point I was hooked on ESPN 2k5 so playing Madden felt like a backwards step.

Last year was pretty bad though, especially with pass coverage.

I would agree that initially pass coverage left a fair bit to be desired but this seemed to disappear to a degree over time , usually if I gave up a big play it was down to dodgy playcalling , although there have been a few occasions when it seems to be due to iffy AI. I can't say that I experienced the miraculous catch up and swat that often , usually even just gaining a half step on the DB meant that the play was there to be made by the wideout.

In the end 07 was poor. They just made the game completely offensive and you just ended up in a shoot out. Not to mention that my running game was magically snuffed out in some games by someone like the Browns.

I was checking my profile earlier and I noticed that I average 23 points a game , and give up 19 , that doesn't really point to a shootout (perhaps I am just lame ;)). Granted there have been a fair few , usually those that I expect to be ie Rams/Seahawks but I have also had more than a few defensive chess matches also.**

I have also had the run stuffing problem on occasion but not with any regularity.

** I should point out that the first thing I do each year (after updating the rosters) is to play 15-20 test games with various teams so that I am able to adjust the sliders to allow for more realistic gameplay/stats because it is impossible to get any sort of realism with the settings that EA use as default.

My adjustment of the sliders may actually invalidate a lot of my points about the gameplay but it does explain why I have also found the '07 version to be absolutely astounding. I actaully dread the thought of having to play online ranked matches on 5min All-Pro default settings as that is likely to remind me of some of the more obvious faults in the gameplay.

Might pick it up for Wii if I can get it on the cheap. I just like the PC one for the editing.

If you like the editing stuff you may want to forget this years Wii version , EA in their infinate wisdom have decided to omit the Create-A-Player/Team/Fan/Playbook this year.

EDIT - Saw that video earlier today HoT , yep , that had me in stitches.