NEurope
pedrocasilva

Rumor Control - IGN's Nintendo Voice Chat

Is it just me or are Namco a bunch of lazy SOBs when it comes to getting their fingers out and publishing stuff? I mean yesterday we got the rumours of the Tales game not coming to Europe, Tales of Vesperia hasnt got a release date over here yet and now Sky Crawlers and Fragile are in doubt.

It's because they want so much the Tales of series and their others series to be more popular in the west.:indeed:

I'm not too fussed about Sky Crawlers- but Fragile? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Could be an EA game seeing as they don't use friend codes as it is, lol.

I might give the podcast a listen later, its been a while since I've bothered with one and I wouldn't mind hearing all of what they have to say about Moon.

- 2009 - year of the Wii? - Matt fully expects to hear news of Mario and Zelda at this year’s E3 - Mario might be this year if it’s Mario Galaxy 2 - 2009 will be a much stronger year for Wii than last year

Note how he's conveniently shut up about Man Icarus, now.

Note how he's conveniently shut up about Man Icarus, now.

Matt does actually mention Kid Icarus- or more accurately give another really strong hint that it was (still is?) being developed by F5.

My guess is that Red Steel 2 wont use friend codes.

I really doubt a Mario Galaxy 2, at least not this year.

This year will be awesome if we get the Conduit, Red Steel 2 and COD6, FPS HEAVEN!!!

This year will be awesome if we get the Conduit, Red Steel 2 and COD6, FPS HEAVEN!!!

I can't see COD6 making it to Wii. WaW hasn't performed too well on Wii.

I can't see COD6 making it to Wii. WaW hasn't performed too well on Wii.

I think it's sold around 0.5 million. Ok, it's not amazing but it'll still have justified it's costs and it had zero advertising or marketing. It would have done a lot better with a decent ad camapaign - just look at RE4 which sold nearly 2 million copies - and that was a last gen port!

The next CoD is being done by Infinity Ward and is a sequel (well not really) set after Modern Warfare. They won't make it for the Wii. They didn't with 4 so it's very unlikely they'll do it with 5 (CoD:WaW isn't number 5 in the series)

I think it's sold around 0.5 million. Ok, it's not amazing but it'll still have justified it's costs and it had zero advertising or marketing. It would have done a lot better with a decent ad camapaign - just look at RE4 which sold nearly 2 million copies - and that was a last gen port!

0.5 million is pretty awful when you consider how much the 360 version sold in it's first month out.

Also the next CoD is the follow up to Modern Warfare, it won't make it to Wii. Even if they did consider it, Modern Warfare's online multiplayer is one of the reasons MILLIONS are playing it right now. That experience would be so much different on the Wii. Whether you like it or not when making the next CoD they'll be thinking about the 360 and PS3.

i think they'll be thinking of the 360, and then as an afterthought quickly port it to Playstation 3.

Predictions about Non FC game:

I'm thinking its going to be The Conduit, seeing as the developers of the game really hated friend codes and HVS did. The only other Major online 3rd party Wii game I can think of is Monster Hunter 3, and that could also possibly have no friend codes. Has there been any major game revealed from EA for the Wii recently, I can't seem to recall any.

0.5 million is pretty awful when you consider how much the 360 version sold in it's first month out.

Also the next CoD is the follow up to Modern Warfare, it won't make it to Wii. Even if they did consider it, Modern Warfare's online multiplayer is one of the reasons MILLIONS are playing it right now. That experience would be so much different on the Wii. Whether you like it or not when making the next CoD they'll be thinking about the 360 and PS3.

Of course 0.5 million is nothing compared to the 360 and PS3 versions. They will always get priority. I'm sure activision will at least consider it, after all they own the franchise, Treyarch and Infinity Ward are just the developers they hire to develop it.

The key to whether it gets developed or not is whether it made a profit. Now 0.5 million copies, at $50 dollars a copy is still an impressive $25 million. It's not like it hasn't done some business!

What's more producing it (as all it is essentially is a cut down copy of the 360 version) costs very little. I'm hoping for it to make an appearance. If it doesn't well it doesn't. But We've seen COD3, CODWAW and Quantum of solace, so there's a decent chance.

Of course 0.5 million is nothing compared to the 360 and PS3 versions. They will always get priority. I'm sure activision will at least consider it, after all they own the franchise, Treyarch and Infinity Ward are just the developers they hire to develop it.

The key to whether it gets developed or not is whether it made a profit. Now 0.5 million copies, at $50 dollars a copy is still an impressive $25 million. It's not like it hasn't done some business!

What's more producing it (as all it is essentially is a cut down copy of the 360 version) costs very little. I'm hoping for it to make an appearance. If it doesn't well it doesn't. But We've seen COD3, CODWAW and Quantum of solace, so there's a decent chance.

You do realise that when a $50 Wii game is sold over 50% of that money doesn't go back to Activision's bank balance? Even with that in mind it'll still have done healthy if it sold at full retail price for those 500k, whether it was full retail for the long haul though I've not a clue.

I think if the next COD is on Wii then it won't be made by Infinity Ward, albeit could easily use the same story etc. WAW's sales are probably irellevenent as if they're making a Wii verison it'd have been decided before WAW's release.

I'm not sure what Activision are going to do though, as the next James Bond game coming out near xmas this year is supposedly PS360 exclusive, unless they've got another company in to produce the Wii verison. Hmmm..

Another week, another podcast and another summary:

GTA: Chinatown Wars

- Craig got to play it last week

- Showed him early part of the game

- Craig had certain expectations, he’s pretty psyched

- A lot of emphasis placed on touchscreen “side-thingsâ€

- Will need your stylus in your hand

- One minigame has you shoving trash aside looking for drugs

- Game engine runs on top screen, bottom screen is where the story happens + touch screen minigame

- Fixed perspective angle

- Never cuts away from action on the top-screen - will still see action on top screen during minigames

- Not hiding from being M-rated

- You’re a drug dealer - buy and sell drugs, dialoge all f-bombs and s word, there is violence

- Blood stays on the road when you run over someone

- Bozon’s excited for the game

- Engine itself runs really smooth - Craig didn’t see frame rate falter - 30 FPS

- No voice-overs, subtitles in cut-scenes - there’s only environmental voice - radio stations are instrumental (probably due to limitations of the cartridge)

- Can listen to radio while walking around

- Not too much humor in the first 5 missions

- Surveillance cameras are hidden packages in the city - if you destroy one of the cameras it can affect the price of what you can get for drugs

- Comes out March 17

- Game is ambitious, it’s a full-fledged GTA experience - Taken seriously at Rockstar

- Bozon thinks he might get more play out of Chinatown Wars than GTAIV

- Huge focus on online - next month we’ll know more about online

Marble Saga: Kororinpa

- Only specific levels use the Balance Board

- Sequel to Kororinpa Marble Mania

- Craig thinks its fun

- Like a Marble Madness clone

- Marble can be a panda head

- For Wii Balance Board stuff there are 30 original mazes just for the peripheral

- Can make own levels and send them to friends or send them to Hudson (who will send them to everyone)

- Comes out March 17

MadWorld

- Craig also played MadWorld

- It’s really awesome

- Beat-em-up, takes place behind you

- Kind of like a game show, be as brutal as you can

- Controls work very well - motion stuff is supplemental

- A button is punch/grab, B button is chainsaw

- Idea behind mandarts is trying to hit guys into the bulls eye - keeps track of how many times you do it, etc.

- If you pick up money and throw it, bad guys will be attracted to it

- No WiiConnect24 stuff - There are leaderboards but nothing you can upload

- A lot of stat tracking going on in the background

- Game has a great style - People say they can’t see what’s happening in screenshots - When it’s in motion, you can see everything contrasting

- Craig thinks it’s a great game

- SEGA laid off 30 people this morning

Klonoa

- Looks like it’s going to be awesome

- Everything looks a little smoother

- Added some Wii functionality if you want to use it

- Bozon hopes it plays really well

New Play Control! Pikmin

- IGN Nintendo Team has the game

- Selling it at $30

- Should be $20

- Matt says once you try these new controls you’ll be a complete believer

- Matt can’t wait for Pikmin 3 now

- Game itself fantastic in its own right

- Plays so well with the Wiimote - Pointer really works well - Game faster and more precise

- Screen not stretched in widescreen

- Matt thinks it looks better than a lot of Wii games

- Changed a lot of the game progression in DK Jungle Beat

NPD numbers

- Nintendo won by a longshot

- DS became first system to sell over 3 million units in a month

- Expectations were that Wii would sell over 3 million, supply may have limited its numbers

- 10th best-selling game was Mario Kart DS

- Wii Music has sold almost 900,000 copies

Deadly Creatures

- Matt has final reviewable build

- Has made his way through 8 of 10 chapters

- Has come together, better than he thought it would be

- Final game has a few small bugs - camera will get caught, etc.

- Atmosphere is awesome

- Matt is liking it, will be a good game for people

High Voltage Software Hot Rod Show

- Bozon not digging it so much

- Camera should have been behind the truck

- Not smooth when you make rounds

- Ideas work, just doesn’t play so slick

- Almost a bit too simple

- 5 racers, 6 tracks

- At 1000 Wii points it seems overpriced

- Feels like a little afterthought game

Legacy of Ys: Books I & II

- Moves extremely fast

- Never really no where you’re going

- Old-school RPG

- Will have hands on this week

- Will have an interview with guys at Jupiter up soon (World Ends with You)

Big Bang Mini

- Very good shooter

- You’ll like it if you enjoyed Space Invaders Extreme

- Touch controlled shooter

Winter

- Wasn’t just made up

- Screens, developers interview, video up

- Fun, cool project that never got the chance to come out

- Was made almost 2 years and looks better in some respects than just about every other Wii game out there - technically looking really good, especially for 2 years ago

- Some of the outside areas look good, sometimes looks rough

- Battle with the wolf looks good

- First time they saw the game they were playing Escape from Bug Island

Renegade Kid interview

- Moon is second game as Renegade Kid

- They are Nintendo-enthusiasts - DS is a great platform

- Difficult to work within the constrains of the DS cartridge

- Dementium helped to create Moon

- Drawn inspiration from Goldeneye for N64 - big landmark in FPS gaming - Wanted to get replayability into Moon, Doom 3, next-gen games like BioShock, etc.

- Lack of single-player because wanted to make single-player great - multiplayer would have diverted their focus - They are interested in Wi-Fi

- They pay attention to the other FPS on DS

- There’s still more that Renegade Kid can do with the DS

- Have not announced what their next game is

- Would like to make more DS games

- Renegade Kid interested in Scribblenauts - has a fascinating concept

Reader questions

- Lack of Japanese Wii games? Premature to say that Fatal Frame IV, Disaster, Captain Rainbow, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom - It’s a case-by-case basis - Will probably see all of the Nintendo games coming to the US - Fatal Frame is coming, it’s just a matter of time, maybe Disaster. Probably no Captain Rainbow.

- All of the Disgaea games are self-contained. Should start with the original game if you haven’t played the series.

- Next Nintendo console at E3? No, not with the Wii sales as they are

- Game looking forward to in Feb? House of the Dead: Overkill, Deadly Creatures

- Take on potential new Zelda game hype train (countdown)? Marvelous, SEGA both have countdowns - Matt jokes about Zelda Harvest Moon

- Final version of Dead Rising Wii? Will get it this week, will start previewing it soon - It’s Dead Rising light - Serious downgrade from 360

- New KORG? KORG DS-10 sold around 110,000 copies - Maybe will do a DS downloadable one for DSi - haven’t heard anything

- Convince Nintendo to localize Soma Bringer? Matt thinks it will probably happen - It’s a quality RPG

- Cool with DSi pricing? A little overpriced - $149.99 is where it should be - losing GBA slot but getting more stuff - shouldn’t be $50 more

- Excited about Arc Rise Fantasia? Daemon played it at TGS, liked it - Standard RPG

- Any idea when we’ll see/hear more about Spyborgs? Will have a big push for it - will be completely transformed (at least very different-looking)

- Expectations of Renegade Kid’s Wii project? Pretty much focused on the DS right now - Still dabbling in Wii, but for now just think of what they have going on for the DS

- Any word of Metroid Dread exiting? Existed at one point - Plug was pulled

- No organized riot to bring Professor Layton 2 to the US? Second one needs a lot of localization, might require budget of full game - might not be cost-effective - some very specific Japanese puzzles

A very good and positive read. Im pretty excited for GTA, Mad World and Klonoa, im also happy that Deadly Creatures seems to be a solid title.

Here's this weeks offering.

December NPD:

-DeBlob sold 250,000

-Shaun White 450,000

Indy Trailer Wii:

-Broke on Youtube

-The Wii and DS games have been finished for a while according to Matt’s Editor

TMNT Smash Up:

-“Saw some people on the Gaf thread bitching about itâ€

WiiFit:

-Matt grew a beard to cover up for his Holiday weight gain

-Lost ten pounds in post holiday weight on the Wiifit plan

Winter:

-2 Years ago, 12 guys 6 weeks.

-About it showing it without having a publisher … “It worked for Conduitâ€

-“People who said it looks like a PSX game are idiotsâ€

-10,000 signatures for one of the petitions, many fans sites picked up the story

-Matt, Guys from N-Space haven’t been overwhelmed with publishers like High Voltage was after the unveil. Hasn’t spoken to the N-Space guys in days.

-The N-Space guys says the Winter demo allowed them to get other products

-Bozon, like at WayForward the Shantae demo allowed them to get other projects.

-Bozon believes Scribblenauts will find a publisher since, like Conduit, it will be finished regardless

House of the Dead Overkill:

-Recently played Train level and Swamp level

-Overkill train level is better than RE:UC in Bozon’s opinion

-Frame rate issues in the game currently

-Camera Issue

-7 Chapters, has a director cut that is different after you beat it.

-Matt thinks the F word is a little over done.

Madworld:

-Media blowout starting around February 10th, new story every day until release[ IGN EXCLUSIVE!!! ]

-Including 2-3 minute direct feed snippits of levels!

-Sega and Platinum Games guys excited to be doing this, IGN excited because Madworld article brings clicks

-Likely for ign insiders, but Matt says if you have Reader questions for Madworld guy interview to post ‘em

Tenchu:

-Is it bad? ~ Its not bad *giggle*

-The Dev’s did some control decisions IGN didn’t understand

-They say its “fun†but their tone says otherwise.

Fragile:

-They talk about it, but based only on some Japanese guys 30 second videos

Dragon Quest 5:

-Like DQ4, Story is changed a little here and there

The World Ends With You:

-The guys want to do a sequel

-They said if they do a Wii sequel they would have to do a lot of things differently

Choice info from Reader Questions and Answers:

-One publisher said its using the sales of DeBlob and Deadly Creatures as parameters towards what they will do on the Wii in the Future (THQ ??)

-HOTD:Overkill, Conduit and Madworld sales are both being watched closely by publishers not just Sega.

-They talk for a few minutes about IGN reviews GTA4 and MGS4’s 10’s start the debate

-They think Wii Sports Resort will be the years best selling game and sell like WiiPlay

-They blame the virtual console lack of support on NoA, no factual information just opinion.

-SD card fix will be coming at the end of March, no details available yet but that’s the target date IGN were told.

-Gas Powered Games “God Game�? They wanted to bring it to Wii, pitched to THQ but have no idea what ever happened. Bozon slips in a little mention that they know of more dark games coming

-They love the Pikmin Wiimake controls and are excited for the Prime WiiMakes made by Retro

-The 3 guys who left Retro were replaced from within. Tim Little from Midway (CTO) has joined Retro.

-New Retro Project ~ “its coming along, its going to be rad, its epic†Matt

-Matt, “we’ve seen a lot of people being pulled off PS3 projects and putting on Wii projects, but its not the Wii projects you’ll want, A major PS3 project was pulled for a mini-game festâ€. Its why Conduit and Madworld sales are so important.

-Matt confirms more dark games, you’ll see them as early as April

-Matt claims Major IP’s from big publishers, says to check out his top 10 games of the year to do detective work

-Bozon on Conduit, their tech is better than their artists

-The EXCITE Truck developer is working on a new Wii game, no idea wat it could be.

I really hope developers aren't pinning their future Wii products on the success of House of the Dead Overkill - it looke promising but frame rate issues at this stage is just terrible. The problem is people are comparing the Wii's adult orientated output like HotD Overkill with the 360's adult range Like GoW, the fact is the games being compared are in different classes.

The frame rate issues are confined to 2 player I believe. It runs seamlessly in single player, with no drop in frame rate there. And it's only a small drop in two player anyway. Very manageable compared to some of the frame rate drops I've seen in other titles, including some of the 360's mature ones.

Whoever wrote that summary is incorrect on a number of occassions. They spoke about Tenchu 4 with genuine positivity; there was no sarcastic "tone".

Seriously though, just listen to the damn thing if you want to know what happened.