NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
willowtheory

Classic Controller?

Hey everyone

Been a long time lurker in these forums and love reading the discussions that go on here, so thought id start to join in, so first off hello 2 everyone.

And as for the point of this thread, i just basically want to know if the classic controller is worth purchasing? I've seen it on hmv website for about £11 and i do find it difficult to play some vc with the gamecube controller, is the classic controller alot better, or is it just a waste of money?

Cheers in advance

Apart from the analogue sticks being too close together, it's good. Well worth it for £11.

If you're planning to buy a LOT of SNES games, it's worth it.

I find it varies on what games you play. If your mainly going to be playing NES and SNES games the classic controller is by far better than the 'Cube one. Although if you plan on playin N64 games the analogue sticks and overall layout of the 'Cube pad feels far more natural and on the whole is generally a lot better for the '64 games

Cheers for the quick replys, one of the things that was putting me off getting a classic controller was the analogue sticks, they just didnt look right were they was for some reason. Think i'm gonna order anyway, i do play alot of snes games, so it seems like it could be a worth while purchase :)

Yeah, I love my Classic Controller. Also means no wires coming from the Wii (unless you have a wavebird ofcourse, but I always find the CC better).

Welcome to the forums, by the way :)

Welcome willow :)

The classic controller imo is a bit of a waste unless you plan on buying a few SNES games. I have F-Zero and Mario 64 (N64 obv!) and they are theonly two I use it for.

I think it is a bit of a swizz tbh.

for £11 you might as well.

No doubt sooner or later there will be a Wii game you'll need one to play. Might as well have it ready.

go for it I love mine, especially for f-zero, mario kart 64 etc and snes games. Plus its better layed out than the gc controller.

go for it I love mine, especially for f-zero, mario kart 64 etc and snes games. Plus its better layed out than the gc controller.

For Pre-64 games, yes. But the GameCube controller has the better layout for N64 games.

It's really annoying that's it's not Gamecube compatitible, does anyone have any info on plans to release an update to the classic controller?

It's really annoying that's it's not Gamecube compatitible, does anyone have any info on plans to release an update to the classic controller?

Nintendo won't want to potentially mess up backwards compatability. So probably never.

Nintendo won't want to potentially mess up backwards compatability. So probably never.

Why would it mess up backward compatitibility? Surely it would help it?

Why would it mess up backward compatitibility? Surely it would help it?

When a GameCube disk is loaded, the Wii goes into "GameCube Mode" - The Wii itself thinks it's a GameCube. It's the same reason as to why you have to turn the Wii off to go back to the menu.

When a GameCube disk is loaded, the Wii goes into "GameCube Mode" - The Wii itself thinks it's a GameCube. It's the same reason as to why you have to turn the Wii off to go back to the menu.

I still don't see why it couldn't be compatible! And my GC controllers are getting ruined :(

When it's in "gamecube mode" the console will only recognise controllers plugged into gamecube sockets. The only way to allow classic controllers would be to mess with the gamecube firmware.

Just buy more gamecube controllers. You could probably pick up two or three for the price of one classic controller.

I still don't see why it couldn't be compatible! And my GC controllers are getting ruined :(

When you start a Cube game, your Wii becomes a GameCube. Wii controllers don't work on a GameCube, and they never will.

you can also use it to play dragon ball z, mortal kombat and i think smash bros but ive only tried it out on the first 2 yet

you can also use it to play dragon ball z, mortal kombat and i think smash bros but i havent tried it out on the first 2 yet

Does Resident Evil 4 come with any classic set ups?

Hey everyone

Been a long time lurker in these forums and love reading the discussions that go on here, so thought id start to join in, so first off hello 2 everyone.

And as for the point of this thread, i just basically want to know if the classic controller is worth purchasing? I've seen it on hmv website for about £11 and i do find it difficult to play some vc with the gamecube controller, is the classic controller alot better, or is it just a waste of money?

Cheers in advance

Aw man, I bought one off eBay thinking it was the cheapest I could get it for. :(

/will check all online shops and not use Kelkoo next time.

Personally if you're planning on buying at least a few VC games, it's worth it - the layout especially lends itself to the SNES. I was horrified after downloading DKC 2 at the layout they'd put on the GC pad; you'd have thought they'd map the buttons a bit differently to just matching the letters wouldn't you?

I feel like one of a select few people who actually like the classic controller :(

Strange as my original perception was that it looked really uncomfortable and basically, too small and figety. Now though I think it's great.

Really don't understand all this "analouge sticks are too close together" buisness, never seen it as much of a problem.

Don't bother buying it, mine is still stuck in its box, I even think its still sealed.

I feel like one of a select few people who actually like the classic controller :(

Strange as my original perception was that it looked really uncomfortable and basically, too small and figety. Now though I think it's great.

Really don't understand all this "analouge sticks are too close together" buisness, never seen it as much of a problem.

I totally and completely agree with this statement. The classic controller is incredibly comfortable and easy to use. Sometimes while playing SNES games on the VC, I dont know if I'm using the D-Pad or Control Stick, its just so natural

I got one last night (well. I hinted at it when my mum dragged me shopping, so she bought it for me). I'm very impressed.

First of all, I haven't been paying that much attention to what it was like before I actually got one, I didn't realise that it had changed since it was first revealed.

The wire - Why is this coming out of the bottom? It just seems damn odd..luckily I don't noticed it when playing.

The D-pad is much bigger and easier to use than I thought it would. Until know, I thought it was the same one as the Wii Remote.

Due to the shape of the controller, the Analogue sticks are actually fairly easy to use, unlike a controller made by another company. They are a bit smaller than the Nunchuck's stick, too.

The shoulder buttons are analogue, like the GameCube controller, but look much nicer. Very comfortable, too. Also, theres 2 Z buttons (i thought one was for the flaps at the back, but theres 2 different Z buttons and an extra one in between for the flap). They seem odd at first due to their position, but they are surprisingly easy to use. Why are there 2 Z buttons, though?

The face buttons are easy to press, and are perfectly placed (especially for pressing 2 at a time).

I must say, I'm very impressed with it.

I got one last night (well. I hinted at it when my mum dragged me shopping, so she bought it for me). I'm very impressed.

First of all, I haven't been paying that much attention to what it was like before I actually got one, I didn't realise that it had changed since it was first revealed.

The wire - Why is this coming out of the bottom? It just seems damn odd..luckily I don't noticed it when playing.

The D-pad is much bigger and easier to use than I thought it would. Until know, I thought it was the same one as the Wii Remote.

Due to the shape of the controller, the Analogue sticks are actually fairly easy to use, unlike a controller made by another company. They are a bit smaller than the Nunchuck's stick, too.

The shoulder buttons are analogue, like the GameCube controller, but look much nicer. Very comfortable, too. Also, theres 2 Z buttons (i thought one was for the flaps at the back, but theres 2 different Z buttons and an extra one in between for the flap). They seem odd at first due to their position, but they are surprisingly easy to use. Why are there 2 Z buttons, though?

The face buttons are easy to press, and are perfectly placed (especially for pressing 2 at a time).

I must say, I'm very impressed with it.

I ended up getting one in the end, and i love it! Playing Donkey Kong on the virtual console with the game cube controller was a real pain, but with the classic controller its really easy :) It took me back to the good old days of gaming. Since i've bought the pad i've been playing donkey kong 1 and 2 non stop, well until today that is when i got mortal kombat, which the pad is also great for!

Thanks to everyone for replaying in this thread, and giving me their views on the controller :)

Sign in to follow this