NEurope
Demuwan

Hidden Wiimote functionality!?

http://gonintendo.com/?p=18850

The Wiimote’s hidden audio translater

I’ve been hearing about this all day, but now OddCrazyMe was nice enough to link me to the article and picture. This is a pretty awesome find! Perhaps we will see some games that take advantage of this feature at Nintendo’s E3 event!

thumb_wiimotevoicepk6.jpg

FUNCTION: Converts analogue data such as human speech into a digital data stream. This feature is unused now, but will probably be employed in future games.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/storysupplement/wiiremote/index.htm

Whoa can't believe we're only just finding out about this! Hopefully some new games should utilise it in the future.

Is there nothing it cannot do!?

IIRC, an audio translater simply translates digital to analogue and vice-verca. Which is used for inputting and outputting sounds.

Outputting seems to be the main use for the one in the Remote.

Isn't that just the speech-to-text thing that was mentioned a while ago?

Isn't that just the speech-to-text thing that was mentioned a while ago?

Also IIRC, the "speech-to-text" rumour was based on a company that makes voice recognition software was working on something for the Wii. Which turned out to be just the (rubbish) Text Prediction on the Wii Browser.

Could be interesting to see if we hear anymore about this from the big 'N'

so, correct me if i'm wrong, but does that mean the wiimote could be used as a microphone for games like singstar or boogie?

so, correct me if i'm wrong, but does that mean the wiimote could be used as a microphone for games like singstar or boogie?

Hell no. Even though the speaker could be used as a mic, the quality would render it useless.

Hell no. Even though the speaker could be used as a mic, the quality would render it useless.

yeah you only have to hear some of the sound quality that comes out of the speaker to realise it isn't the best quality and wouldn't be any better as a microphone..

The speaker isn't low quality, the sound being played through it is, duh. It doesn't stream the audio clip wirelessly, it stores it on an extremely small amount of memory. The speaker is the same as one of the DS Lite's speakers, which are fine.

Not the Wii-mote alone, no ..but it sets the whole thing up to just have a mic plugged in for games.

(Could be possible though cos a speakers output doesnt mean a thing in terms of input quality...rig an SM58 to output sound and Im sure it would sound pretty scratchy, not that I would recommend it)

In all honesty I would have thought ppl would have realised the wiimote had to have hardware capable of this, especially when games such as Boogie were proposing usage of Mics...

(...rig an SM58 to output sound and Im sure it would sound pretty scratchy, not that I would recommend it)

Would that actually work?? surely it would break the diaphragm ?

In all honesty I would have thought ppl would have realised the wiimote had to have hardware capable of this, especially when games such as Boogie were proposing usage of Mics...

Games such as Boogie are using mics with their own audio translator, and are using the Wii's USB port. So, having the chip in the Remote is a bit odd.

All speakers work as microphones, all microphones work as speakers.

All speakers work as microphones, all microphones work as speakers.

yeah but if the diaphram isn't big enough or good enough, it doesn't work...try recording with a set of headphones.

yeah but if the diaphram isn't big enough or good enough, it doesn't work...try recording with a set of headphones.

Yeah i thought that.

Theoretically it could as long as you werent trying to drive too much wattage through it....You can definately do it with cheap mics and get away with it due to the fact the diaphragms are usually one piece of plastic.

The point I was trying to state was the fact that input response is not the same as output response. As well as a 58 picks up vocals, I doubt the same could be said for it outputting the same ranges, even if it was robust enough.