N-Europe

Mac vs Windows

Jasper

But the macbook pro looks so un-Apple :heh

My macbook had the beautiful apple white we long associate them with. I say 'did', because it's slightly covered in shite now.

haha, i much prefer the pro because it definitely wont discolour, has a nicer light up keyboard and light sensor, bigger screen, proper graphics chip, more ports and express-card slot and expandable memory up to 3GIG.

It looks as Apple ish as the Mac Pro or the Powerbooks. It still has the big light up Apple logo on the top of it \ ^_^ /

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't understand why the "mac" becomes a way of life that any apple user has to defend to the death. I look at that big link in Takeo's sig for example. Why mention it was made in iWeb? Why does it have a big "made on a mac" logo at the bottom? The front page talks about the .mac account, the photo page talks about iPhoto. The blog page talks about "Macs are better than PC’s. Here’s why =P" and you have a mac email address.

I've made dozens of websites in my time, never once have I felt the need to mention "designed in Photoshop" or "coded in Notepad" or "made on a Windows PC". With mac users it seems to be all about that trendy lower case "i" and the shiny brand name. You've made a website that manages to be nothing to do with you, just a big apple advertisement.

I just don't understand why the "mac" becomes a way of life that any apple user has to defend to the death. I look at that big link in Takeo's sig for example. Why mention it was made in iWeb? Why does it have a big "made on a mac" logo at the bottom? The front page talks about the .mac account, the photo page talks about iPhoto. The blog page talks about "Macs are better than PC’s. Here’s why =P" and you have a mac email address.

I've made dozens of websites in my time, never once have I felt the need to mention "designed in Photoshop" or "coded in Notepad" or "made on a Windows PC". With mac users it seems to be all about that trendy lower case "i" and the shiny brand name. You've made a website that manages to be nothing to do with you, just a big apple advertisement.

people comment on how nice it looks and stuff, i'm just trying to make a point of how easy it is for those who have iWeb to just do it, i could get rid of the made on a mac thing et al but i don't want to.

I have my .mac email addy on there because it's the one i prefer to use. and that line of the blog was meant to be slightly humorous as it contrasts with what i say before it. I should get rid of the iWeb thing in my sig though. . .

the content has everything to do with me, if you read my first post it gets pretty personal. i don't mind advertising something i enjoy using.

If i seem like an excitable child it's because i am, i haven't been able to do these kinda things before since there's a hefty barrier to entry 9 times out of 10.

I suppose it comes down to always being on the defensive, Having too constantly defend macs from PC fanboy's. Some people obviously like to show what the mac can do, seeing as the majority think it's useless.

I generally tend t sit on the fence, in that I can see the great advantages of a mac, but I also know it's downfalls. Although I might prefer macs, I also like PC's - hell, i know a lot more about PC's than I do macs.

Just to clarify, personally I don't have a problem with macs. My friend described her situation and how she wanted a new laptop, and I told her a mac would be great for her.

Well, actually that brings me to a problem I do have with macs. They are far too expensive for what you're getting. If they want to corner the student/trendy corner of the market by appealing to the population who wants to work and enjoy movies on their system, their best bet would be to lower prices and be the "well priced PC alternative". I couldn't really outright reccomend a Mac to my friend because a brand new one would be so much more daunting than a nice new Vista equipped notebook from PCworld for half the price.

If you go from Windows to a Mac, there's too many questions: "can it do everything my PC could?", "will it be easy to get used to?", "will I be able to work with my friends on their laptops?" - add these dissuading features to that chunky price tag and its a risk people don't like taking. Windows has the market's trust, and mac aren't doing enough to solve that.....

The file types are a long-lost problem. there are barely any file types that Windows and Macs don't share these days. The only thing I've noticed is that MacOS X makes a special type of file inside every folder to quickly find data with spotlight, but so does windows (5 think they're .dat-files). Apple supports most file types nonetheless. And for those exclusive types, well, they're application bound. Just like Photoshop has it's own file-type, iMovie has it's own filetype, too.

If you've only used some Apple-software on windows, well, yes it's restricted, although I find iTunes (even on windows) much better than Media Player (simple because it's so easy to use). But on the other hand, you didn't expect Apple to give you the full monty on Windows, now would you? They'de be killing themselves if they would...

Fair do's. But my first point wasn't just restricted to file types, it was just the example that was there. In the broader context: If you buy an Apple machine you are expected to run Apple's hardware, software and peripherals.

Its a nice system but i'll take my freedom of choice and ability to run almost any piece of hardware/software over that any day

Just to clarify, personally I don't have a problem with macs. My friend described her situation and how she wanted a new laptop, and I told her a mac would be great for her.

Well, actually that brings me to a problem I do have with macs. They are far too expensive for what you're getting. If they want to corner the student/trendy corner of the market by appealing to the population who wants to work and enjoy movies on their system, their best bet would be to lower prices and be the "well priced PC alternative". I couldn't really outright reccomend a Mac to my friend because a brand new one would be so much more daunting than a nice new Vista equipped notebook from PCworld for half the price.

Yes, they are expensive, but what people dont see and something apple should definetly market more is what is built into OSX. Seriously, i doubt there is anything like iLife on windows and it comes completely free. So a good deal of that 'expense' is on great software.

Fair do's. But my first point wasn't just restricted to file types, it was just the example that was there. In the broader context: If you buy an Apple machine you are expected to run Apple's hardware, software and peripherals. Yes it "Just Works" but at the cost of freedom of choice

you don't have to use there stuff hec you could buy a mac pro and run windows on it at full speed (and probably even faster than on the average pc) get an mp3 player instead of an iPod buy a 3rd party web cam instead of an iSight... but would you, the answer is no that would just be stupid.

Mac's are more expensive but nor significantly so, especially if you can get the student discount. plus the mac will last you longer than a windows pc before it makes in most of the time.

qft

you don't have to use there stuff hec you could buy a mac pro and run windows on it at full speed (and probably even faster than on the average pc) get an mp3 player instead of an iPod buy a 3rd party web cam instead of an iSight... but would you, the answer is no that would just be stupid.

You can buy 3rd party stuff but Apple hardly make any effort to support it. Take the MP3 player example:

Apple have iTunes. iTunes only works properly with an iPod and music bought from the store can only be played on an iPod, Mac, PC and certain mobile phones. You can use it to sync to 3rd party products but this is done via drag + drop

Windows has Media Player. It can sync with every portable player around.

For purchasable music Microsoft have PlaysForSure, matching up a large selection of stores with a large selection of players.

Which is the better system?

You can buy 3rd party stuff but Apple hardly make any effort to support it. Take the MP3 player example:

Apple have iTunes. iTunes only works properly with an iPod and music bought from the store can only be played on an iPod, Mac, PC and certain mobile phones. You can use it to sync to 3rd party products but this is done via drag + drop

For purchasable music Microsoft have PlaysForSure, matching up a large selection of stores with a large selection of players.

Which is the best? Well Microsoft certainly seem to think it's the former, considering the direction they've taken with Zune.

And saying that '3rd party stuff' doesn't work as well on Mac is silly. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have had no probems using my Belkin router, Sony camera, HP printer, and Nokia phone with my Mac. In fact, I found it a hell of a lot easier than I ever did on Windows.

Which is the best? Well Microsoft certainly seem to think it's the former, considering the direction they've taken with Zune.

The iPod model was used for the Zune because it is the most profitable. Its been a flop, i didn't include it simply because it never made it as far as Europe.

But if i was to include it then that adds yet another direction of choice to Windows users. We can use iTunes, Zune and PlaysForSure

The music not playing on other things is not entirely Apples fault, that's partly down to the music industry.

I agree with iTunes not supporting other MP3 players though.

I disagree with your argument of Apple not supporting everything. I didn't have to install any drivers to use my digital camera or my dads printer on my laptop. It literally was plug it in and use it. If my dad formats his Windows PC he's fucked because he's lost the CD that came with it. I'll be able to use it though.

Fair do's. But my first point wasn't just restricted to file types, it was just the example that was there. In the broader context: If you buy an Apple machine you are expected to run Apple's hardware, software and peripherals.

Its a nice system but i'll take my freedom of choice and ability to run almost any piece of hardware/software over that any day

I think my point was very clear, though: get a mac and use your old peripherals. Okay, software is not the same - duh - and you buy a mac because of Apple's hardware. Off course you do'nt get that much choice anymore (although there's heaps of customisation), but I don't like where you're heading with this. If I buy a Dell, I have the same restriction of hardware that DELL provides me. They're a hardware manufacturer, for god sake... That's exactly why macs are so good. If MacOS X was a multi-platform system, it wouldn't be half as good or fast - it's made for mac.

Mac's are more expensive but not significantly so, especially if you can get the student discount. plus the mac will last you longer than a windows pc before it dies most of the time.

It's a computer, for God sake. A nice sparkling new Windows Vista-equiped PC will last just as long as a new spankin' mac does! It's getting annoying that you can only see the good side of Macs, really - I'm sorry to say that (or provoke anything bad here) but you're way to positive. I have a 2-year old iBook, it's running fine, but it's got it's major quirks. Like all of a sudden dozing-off and not waking up again (wich means restart, and that leads me to..) my next problem: shutting of with the power-button held down (yes, my mac stops working occasionally) means it won't startup again untill you've taken out the battery and waited for half an hour to retry. Lately, programs seem to go slower, the startup sequence is less smooth and overall, the Mac is showing of it's bad side.

Macs aren't all upsides - you lot. There is fewer application support, there's a great deal of nonsense in it's setup ("Hey, we give you iLife for free so you can make your movies and edit them, but Quicktime Pro? What the hell? It states 'pro', off course you can't have it!") and after using it a year it gets slower - as if Apple really has a death clock in it.

Don't get me wrong, I love my mac and I'll defend it too, but only if the defense is sensible and not just fanboyism or what appears to be fanboyism.

I think my point was very clear, though: get a mac and use your old peripherals. Okay, software is not the same - duh - and you buy a mac because of Apple's hardware. Off course you do'nt get that much choice anymore (although there's heaps of customisation), but I don't like where you're heading with this. If I buy a Dell, I have the same restriction of hardware that DELL provides me. They're a hardware manufacturer, for god sake... That's exactly why macs are so good. If MacOS X was a multi-platform system, it wouldn't be half as good or fast - it's made for mac.

It's a computer, for God sake. A nice sparkling new Windows Vista-equiped PC will last just as long as a new spankin' mac does! It's getting annoying that you can only see the good side of Macs, really - I'm sorry to say that (or provoke anything bad here) but you're way to positive. I have a 2-year old iBook, it's running fine, but it's got it's major quirks. Like all of a sudden dozing-off and not waking up again (wich means restart, and that leads me to..) my next problem: shutting of with the power-button held down (yes, my mac stops working occasionally) means it won't startup again untill you've taken out the battery and waited for half an hour to retry. Lately, programs seem to go slower, the startup sequence is less smooth and overall, the Mac is showing of it's bad side.

Macs aren't all upsides - you lot. There is fewer application support, there's a great deal of nonsense in it's setup ("Hey, we give you iLife for free so you can make your movies and edit them, but Quicktime Pro? What the hell? It states 'pro', off course you can't have it!") and after using it a year it gets slower - as if Apple really has a death clock in it.

Don't get me wrong, I love my mac and I'll defend it too, but only if the defense is sensible and not just fanboyism or what appears to be fanboyism.

That's basically what I've been saying for the past god knows how long.

OK, time for me to stop lurking on these forums ;)

First off i'd just like to say that i dont care if you like macs better then windows, windows better then mac or if youre a huge linux fan, thats fine, youre all welcome to your own views and opinions.

I am a Windows fan myself, but im not going to argue that theyre any better or any worse then other OS's, what i dont like are all the lies that are floating around.

Macs are more stable than any PC i have yet to use. They don’t need to be restarted every coupe of hours.

I have two servers run Windows Server, i cant remember the last time i had to restart these, they just run and always seem to be happy.

There are no virus for Mac yet as opposed to the hundreds of thousands that can infect a windows based system, so you can rest easy knowing you can surf the web, leave you computer always on and connected to the internet without fear of ad-ware, spyware, malware, trojans, and viruses infecting and taking over your expensive computer.

As long as you dont download crap or go onto stupid websites, you wont get viruses. I have never had a single virus on any of my systems, past or present, the only thing my virus scans fetch up are cookies (and a cookie from this site is always listed).

Also there are a few viruses for Macs, older MAC OS's have them, and so does the newer OS.

Remember that the purpose of viruses is to do as much damage as possible, so since a lot more people use PC's as opposed to macs PC's get more viruses made.

Macs just work.

http://www.macfixitforums.com/

Time is pretty much the most expensive thing we have to give, and a PC just sucks so much of it up! Having to restart after every new program is installed, long start up times, having to defrag your hard drive, scan for viruses, scan for adware and so on and so forth.

Im on vista and the only thing I've had to restart my PC for is when i installed new GPU drivers, and even then, i didnt have to restart it, it would have carried on working fine all day then it would have installed them when i came to shut it down.

As for the other examples here, you dont have to do any of them, but if you insist on doing them then youre not going to be at your computer all day are you? Just set a virus scan/defrag running while youre having something to eat or doing any other task.

---

If you want to use a mac, then fine and the same goes for any other OS. I dont see why people need to make points for why one is better then the other when we all know that no one is ever going to change their opinion.

Linux? anyone?

Ok, i'll go sit in the corner with my stable, easy-to-use, cheap, morally rightious, and generally better operating system. You guys can duke it out for a little longer.

Hmmm. As far as I remember, Linux isn't an operating system. Feel free to defend yourself for Ubuntu, Red Hat, yellow dog or any other iteration of Linux stashed away in the corner of the computer world. Linux could have a bright future if it had one, unified operating system making it easier to develop for and more of a competition for the big guys like Apple and Microsoft. Although Ubuntu might be the step forward Linux needs to become popular and since Linux is slowly gaining credibility and fame, well, Linux might be discussed.

The only problem is: up untill now, linux is limited to those with severe knowledge of computers - my parents can never start Linux because they wouldn't know how to start installation. Linux isn't mentioned here because Linux is a sleeping giant for now - Whil Apple and Microsoft fight their nice little swords to death. And when they're done, Linux will be there (let the golden age begon (quote: Beck)).

Up untill then, stick to your taskbars and start-buttons (microsoft ones, not Linux), docks and whatever-they-call-the-top-bar over at Apple.

And what does moraly righteous mean? It's not like Apple and Microsoft have some chineze slaves develop their oh-so-dearly OS-es. Business is business, lad.

this threads getting anoying

i don't think it has a point anymore there is almost no way to make PC users like macs and theres obviously no way to make Mac users like PCs

people starting to say things that they no arn't true.

this is going to go on until the thread is locked and we all no that i've decided to leave this thread for good now...

... but i just couldn't help posting a picture of a smashed pc

183030161reinsteinbadday.jpg

I'd like to point out something: People are saying that Mac users are constantly defending Macs and promoting them. But in my ICT A Level class I'm the only one with a Mac and it's never the case of me talking about it loads to other people, defending it or promoting it, it's the case of people slagging it off for no reason. I think a lot of the time you will think that a Mac user is promoting it because they simply mention their Mac; which is not as common, therefore it's picked up on more.

Like Takeo's website, someone mentioned it said "Made with Mac" or whatever; you'll notice that more than a website that says, "Best viewed with Firefox". A lot of the times it seems like they're promoting; when in actual fact you just notice it more.