Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Mac vs Windows

Jasper

its called bootcamp/parallels/crossovers (and since you already obviously have a copy of windows you could use bootcamp compleatly free)

But then you have cost issues.

From the Apple site:

2.33GHz Intel Core2Duo

2GB 667MHz DDR2 RAM

NVidia GeForce 7600GT 256MB

500GB SATA HDD

24" LCD Screen

£1,860 + £70 for a copy of Vista Home Premium.

Total Cost = £1,930

A quick look on the Mesh computers website shows you can get a better spec'd Windows PC for about 1/2 the price. You get a 22" monitor instead of 24" but you get an 8600GT instead of 7600GT, a Dual TV tuner, slightly better processor and an X-Fi Xtreme soundcard.

Macs aren't for gaming. They're good for anything else but if you want games and aren't completely stupid then you'll buy a Windows computer

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Macs aren't for gaming. They're good for anything else but if you want games and aren't completely stupid then you'll buy a Windows computer

True, but if, like me, you only play the odd game on your computer and have consoles for gaming then you can still manage to get classics like Civ IV, Age of Empires III, WoW, Sims 2, Simctiy 4 etc on your mac.

Guest Jordan
True, but if, like me, you only play the odd game on your computer and have consoles for gaming then you can still manage to get classics like Civ IV, Age of Empires III, WoW, Sims 2, Simctiy 4 etc on your mac.

Never thought i'd see those words in the same sentence...

Never thought i'd see those words in the same sentence...

WoW's the worlds most popular MMO, Sims 2 is one of the best selling games ever and AoE is just fun ^_^

Also i got starcraft and diablo 2 today-just getting the OS X native installer ^_^ <3 blizzard

According to the ads, only Macs are fun, and do fun stuff like editing movies, making dvd's and creating websites. Because all of that is fun! And everyone needs a website.

While pc's are for SPREADSHEETS, and working. With SPREADSHEETS (see how the word SPREADSHEETS is so nasty, because you do math on them, and nobody likes basic math).

I don't think a Mac is better than a PC, or a PC is better than a Mac.

The only reason why I have a Mac is because for the 6 years that I had a PC I got angry most of the time with it (having to change settings and fiddle about with BIOS, etc), and I never once upgraded anything in it (apart from a modem that wasn't compatible with XP). This is why the main down points of buying a Mac (not being able to upgrade, play the latest games, etc.) don't apply to me. And I'm quite sure they don't apply to hundreds of thousands of other people who buy Macs.

A lot of people in this thread are forgetting that an OS and any hardware at the end of the day is not just about the user-end experience, but also the user requirements in a computer and the use of it with its' OS.

EDIT: The funny thing is, I was an A* student in ICT and do Double Award A Level ICT; so the "fiddling" about with PCs is very easy for me. I just hate computers and having to fiddle in my own time. Yes, that sentence does sound wrong...

According to the ads, only Macs are fun, and do fun stuff like editing movies, making dvd's and creating websites. Because all of that is fun! And everyone needs a website.

While pc's are for SPREADSHEETS, and working. With SPREADSHEETS (see how the word SPREADSHEETS is so nasty, because you do math on them, and nobody likes basic math).

Adn what exactly did you expect? "Hey, you know, we have a mac here, it's not really that good and apart from looking good it runs an OS that isn't better than Windows Vista. Oh, and they cost you a few more pennies. But it's still a great choice! get a Mac" - come on, I thought everybody got the point of advertising. Those macs are great (and some of them are quite right, too - like the ones about trojans and virusses, the oh-so-many windows vista editions, the out-of-the-box-thing, just to name a few). And say whatever you say, but yes, windows is reknowned for it's spreadsheet :wink: - don't forget on mac you still use Microsoft Office for it, and most people get their PC's just for Office.

And Wes, sorry to say this: but both OS-es are almost the same. The end-user experience and user-friendlyness is much more important in this case, since - let's face it - both Operating System are quite good and have the same features in there, with the same range of possibilities. Only gaming is the exception, but apart from that, you can do anything on any OS.

I have nothing against Macs, I never had, and I would never even have this discussion, if it wasn't for this fanatic following it has.

This dubious marketing campaign is ridiculous, they don't need to point out their own flaws, but saying the "bads" of a PC (read Windows, we all know what they're talking about), on this extent and the subliminal image of cool and not cool in those ads are insult to every ones intelligence, even I can see that.

I would like to see Apple release an OS that goes one EVERY PC. Give people an option, not just try to divide the market in half.

Anyway, cults are ignorant by definition, as they can't perceive the concept of something different, either Macs or PCs (or anything else).

At least I can drag and drop. :smile:

Wait... WHAT?! Macs can't do that?

I love PC's, I will never get a mac, Not that I don't want to, It's just i can't be bothered to get one and I can't afford one.

PC's despite their flaws are the greatest thing's ever, I love mine and can never see me without one, for as long as I live

I have nothing against Macs, I never had, and I would never even have this discussion, if it wasn't for this fanatic following it has.

This dubious marketing campaign is ridiculous, they don't need to point out their own flaws, but saying the "bads" of a PC (read Windows, we all know what they're talking about), on this extent and the subliminal image of cool and not cool in those ads are insult to every ones intelligence, even I can see that.

I would like to see Apple release an OS that goes one EVERY PC. Give people an option, not just try to divide the market in half.

Anyway, cults are ignorant by definition, as they can't perceive the concept of something different, either Macs or PCs (or anything else).?

The american ads are MUCH better to be honest. I can't see the advantage of Apple releasing OS X for PC. Macs are so good because apple control both the hardware and software essential, meaning they work great and don't require you to muck about with things.

I love PC's, I will never get a mac, Not that I don't want to, It's just i can't be bothered to get one and I can't afford one.

PC's despite their flaws are the greatest thing's ever, I love mine and can never see me without one, for as long as I live

A computer is essential for life these days. PCs are a choice and if it best suits you then cool. I just think there's a lot of people out there who would

be better with a mac than a PC and the Ad's at least try and communicate the brand across, it's job is for people to think of a mac as a possibility for them and get them to go to a mac store and see if they like it. This is where a mac can speak for itself and just cut out all the bull crap and trash talk.

and you can do that and soo much more out of the box on a mac!

Sigh, Takeo - you'll never learn. Windows can do loads out of the box, too - Microsoft just doesn't advertise it. Don't be so narrow minded thinking that Apple is the only one thinking of your Digital Camera, or Videocamera. They can sync easely with your mobile phone, they get yours songs on the MP3 player - too. Windows can do loads out of the box - out of the box is, well, barely any defence these days. Yes, macs can do a lot out of the box - but I never said Windows can't. Stop your narrow-minded attitude.

We're having an endless discussion. And why? Because most mac-owners can't damit that Windows is seriously worth consideration, too. it has it pluses, it has it minuses - but Apple has the same drawbacks. The thing that makes macs stand out that little more is the finishing touch on design front, and, well, the simple but elegant visual representation. They're easy to navigate and use, and I never found my way on windows - but I haven't touched that much of Vista yet.

Macs are in the little details. They have practicly the same look since macOS X's invention and they stuck to it, because the GUI is just plain good. Windows has a good UI, too (and I must say - running XP on Classic is good to look at, and actually very well designed, too) but it misses some touches. I find Apple's dock incredibly nice (and okay, let's be honest, people copied the dock to windows, but macs never saw the light of a taskbar, so it proves something). But you can get your way around Windows nonetheless.

But I think that most windows users agree when I say: stop your fanboyism and show your love for mac on a real, objective way. if you ever get to be with a woman you can't always keep seeing only the good. The difference with this comparison is that you have to keep up appearances with a woman, but please, not with a mac. It hasn't got any feelings to hurt.

PS: I have a mac, so don't even think of flaming me with the 'you wouldn't know!' crap and then go crying with another man(/mac). It doesn't work on me.

And Wes, sorry to say this: but both OS-es are almost the same. The end-user experience and user-friendlyness is much more important in this case, since - let's face it - both Operating System are quite good and have the same features in there, with the same range of possibilities. Only gaming is the exception, but apart from that, you can do anything on any OS.

That's true when you look at it from the perspective of someone who uses computers a lot, so much so that they're even registered on forums and is able to participate in a discussion about which of the two (Windows or Mac OS) are better. But to someone with less knowledge I don't believe that - by experience - is true at all.

Athough I agree with you Jasper, it's not your place to tell people what to think. You do seem to think your king of all things mac.

I know many people who are far moire knowledged with mac. I'm certainly no King of All things Mac - for god sake, I've even been defending windows in order to keep this discussion not to one-sided. i'm not the man of all knowledge, but I do know how to keep the balance even. I just hate it when the most silly things are taken as arguments. And I know hell of a lot of discussing, and it's not saying 'nay' and 'ay' without hearing the rest out. I'm totally in my place to say 'nay' to the mac-fans, simply because I once was part of that crowd, but lately, my laptop has been cursed by slowdown, dropout, blackout, sleep-but-no-awakening and several restarts. I've learned to see the less brighter side of things and I wish to pass this on to those who just joined the mac community and are still wishfully saying that macs are perfect.

Sigh, Takeo - you'll never learn. Windows can do loads out of the box, too - Microsoft just doesn't advertise it. Don't be so narrow minded thinking that Apple is the only one thinking of your Digital Camera, or Videocamera. They can sync easely with your mobile phone, they get yours songs on the MP3 player - too. Windows can do loads out of the box - out of the box is, well, barely any defence these days. Yes, macs can do a lot out of the box - but I never said Windows can't. Stop your narrow-minded attitude.

We're having an endless discussion. And why? Because most mac-owners can't damit that Windows is seriously worth consideration, too. it has it pluses, it has it minuses - but Apple has the same drawbacks. The thing that makes macs stand out that little more is the finishing touch on design front, and, well, the simple but elegant visual representation. They're easy to navigate and use, and I never found my way on windows - but I haven't touched that much of Vista yet.

Macs are in the little details. They have practicly the same look since macOS X's invention and they stuck to it, because the GUI is just plain good. Windows has a good UI, too (and I must say - running XP on Classic is good to look at, and actually very well designed, too) but it misses some touches. I find Apple's dock incredibly nice (and okay, let's be honest, people copied the dock to windows, but macs never saw the light of a taskbar, so it proves something). But you can get your way around Windows nonetheless.

But I think that most windows users agree when I say: stop your fanboyism and show your love for mac on a real, objective way. if you ever get to be with a woman you can't always keep seeing only the good. The difference with this comparison is that you have to keep up appearances with a woman, but please, not with a mac. It hasn't got any feelings to hurt.

PS: I have a mac, so don't even think of flaming me with the 'you wouldn't know!' crap and then go crying with another man(/mac). It doesn't work on me.

a) i'm gay b) i know you have a mac! lmao

You know windows doesn't come with half of the decent software that a mac does, though vista does have that iPhoto-eque viewer thingy.

since you always mention that you can see the drawbacks of a mac that i can't what are they? really? cos apart from compatibility with some games and programs i really can't see one.

Anyone who say's macs are perfect are obviously as mentally gifted as a softie. They have their downfalls just as PC's do. Just wait Takeo, till the new toy feeling rubs off.

Thats why i'm asking for them, make me realise what you all seem to think is bad about macs.

new consoles are released every 5 years new computers are released every year.

and also this is a nintendo forum

i think most people would agree that Wii is lacking in meaty games for the hardcore aka us.

new consoles are released every 5 years new computers are released every year.

and also this is a nintendo forum

A Nintendo forum it may be but theres no way a Mac + Wii is any replacement for a gaming PC. Even Xbox 360s and PS3s struggle at that one

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!