NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Jasper

Mac vs Windows

A Nintendo forum it may be but theres no way a Mac + Wii is any replacement for a gaming PC. Even Xbox 360s and PS3s struggle at that one

PC games dont come out very often, and aren't usually of the same caliber as what you can get on say the 360.

I just got my self a HP TC1100 Tablet PC.

Looks fantastic and runs quite smoothly... shot myself in the foot games wise though!! It Doesn't have a CD-Rom drive!!

Takeo... Don't you ever read what I write? My two-year old mac has slowed down has hell just like a windows PC. Occassionally a restart is required since it stops working - and not a nice, with-the-click restart, but a rough one - the one with the button press for a few seconds. Applications open half as fast as possible now. When you come out of standby, you can have the chance to have to wait three minutes before you can use the dock or the finder. Safari is a really slow browser, actually - it goes when it works, but after two years I switched to firefox - I had enough of Safari's slowlyness.

And Takeo, I was never talking about all the drawbacks. You were. About Windows. I'm just saying that OSX is just as good as Windows, better here and there, and worse here and there. You started on the drawbacks of another operating system, I was just saying that you're looking at it too brightly. If you can meantion me obvious drawbacks of windows I might be able to agree with you, but for now, Microsoft seems to have nailed it with Vista. And about restarting your computer, I have to do that with my Mac too laately, so that isn't an argument...

Takeo... Don't you ever read what I write? My two-year old mac has slowed down has hell just like a windows PC. Occassionally a restart is required since it stops working - and not a nice, with-the-click restart, but a rough one - the one with the button press for a few seconds. Applications open half as fast as possible now. When you come out of standby, you can have the chance to have to wait three minutes before you can use the dock or the finder. Safari is a really slow browser, actually - it goes when it works, but after two years I switched to firefox - I had enough of Safari's slowlyness.

And Takeo, I was never talking about all the drawbacks. You were. About Windows. I'm just saying that OSX is just as good as Windows, better here and there, and worse here and there. You started on the drawbacks of another operating system, I was just saying that you're looking at it too brightly. If you can meantion me obvious drawbacks of windows I might be able to agree with you, but for now, Microsoft seems to have nailed it with Vista. And about restarting your computer, I have to do that with my Mac too laately, so that isn't an argument...

Thats all totally subjective to your particular mac, i have a friend with a 3 year old iMac he uses for web design, heavily, and its still working perfectly, and pretty darn fast for an old bugger, another friend also has a 12" powerbook g4. both of these people use their Mac's a lot, and both for business, also both never switch theirs off and have never had a problem.

I think your in a minority, to be fair though, all computers slow after time, i take it you've tried a fresh install OS x etc to boos the speed.

Virus stuff aside, Winodws is awkward to use, cumbersome, installs files all over the place, has a tendency to crash every now and then is unfriendly to a new user, thats why so many people have to take these Learn Direct style courses in computing because they feel that there's a barrier to entry there, and they only really know about Windows so . . . Vista seems to be a big step forward, and i'm interested to see what M$ can do to tweak it and make it whole with the SPs. I mean every OS isn't as complete as it should be when it comes out, like the draft version of OS X, some of the amazing features that i love and use a lot only got added with tiger, but thats just progress for you.

Looks fantastic and runs quite smoothly... shot myself in the foot games wise though!! It Doesn't have a CD-Rom drive!!

I've always been curious about tablet PCs, what made you get a tablet?

Put a copy of MagicISO on another comp and Daemon Tools on you're tablet. Rip the games on the other comp using MagicISO then copy the ISO files across to the tablet. Mount using Daemon Tools, install and add a NoCD Crack. Then unmount the image and delete the ISO file

That should have you running games and any other apps that come on CD no bother

How dodgy does knowing how to do this make me look? Im not the king of all Warez honest :indeed:

Put a copy of MagicISO on another comp and Daemon Tools on you're tablet. Rip the games on the other comp using MagicISO then copy the ISO files across to the tablet. Mount using Daemon Tools, install and add a NoCD Crack. Then unmount the image and delete the ISO file

That should have you running games and any other apps that come on CD no bother

How dodgy does knowing how to do this make me look? Im not the king of all Warez honest :indeed:

WOW, that is something lmao! couldnt you get an external CD/DVD drive to rip it straight to the PC?

Everyone has to find the solution that works best for them. Personally I use Windows as it does a number of things that Macs can't do. If I was at all interested in making a blog or publishing pictures/video quickly and easily, I'm sure a mac would be perfect.

For someone who does nothing but browse the internet and read emails, there's not much difference between the two.

Just to throw it out there, on the subject of user friendly-ness, how user friendly is it that the program doesn't close when you close a window in OS X?

Personally I like it doing that, but it's not the expected thing is it really? Would a new user know that if not told?

Just to throw it out there, on the subject of user friendly-ness, how user friendly is it that the program doesn't close when you close a window in OS X?

Personally I like it doing that, but it's not the expected thing is it really? Would a new user know that if not told?

It's logical to assume that if the user had very little or no experience they wouldn't know a lot of things, this being one of them, but to a person who has used a computer before they would probably click on the program name and then quit. in time they'd use the shortcut. It does tell you that in the use guide i think, and when you buy a mac you can get an hour of free one on one start up advice/tutorial from a mac genius. some places offer similar for PCs i think maybe.

new consoles are released every 5 years new computers are released every year.

and also this is a nintendo forum

Emasher I just noticed your avvy and wondered how Creative Suite 3 is better on a mac? I know a mac is the designer's pick of choice but I can't imagine a better way to use Photoshop than I have going right now :) Two screens set up so I have my pallettes on the left, all the features the mac version has, a 3 click mouse and... oh we have the option to flick between open documents with ctrl+t, something I read was missing from the mac version ;) I can browse tutorials and all my media and bounce open any other app from bridge in under 4 seconds. After the initial boot of any of the programs in CS3, the app will boot again 100% instantaneously. Of course I have thousands of fonts, a dozen brushes, the whole library of stock photos preloaded whenever I want them.

I'm not dissing macs here at all, I'm simply curious :D what about macs makes CS3 run better? I can't even imagine it being better than this....

It's logical to assume that if the user had very little or no experience they wouldn't know a lot of things, this being one of them, but to a person who has used a computer before they would probably click on the program name and then quit. in time they'd use the shortcut. It does tell you that in the use guide i think, and when you buy a mac you can get an hour of free one on one start up advice/tutorial from a mac genius. some places offer similar for PCs i think maybe.

That's not the point, the point is simply that you would assume normally that clicking the 'x' in the corner of the window would close the program and not just that one window.

Like I said I like it that way, but I can imagine someone new to Macs would be like 'What the hell..?'

WOW, that is something lmao! couldnt you get an external CD/DVD drive to rip it straight to the PC?

:blush: now i feel stupid :laughing:

:blush: now i feel stupid :laughing:

i was sincere when i said wow incase you thought i was being sarcastic, i'm looking for a way for me to back up my games. *whistles*

Ok, well thats the best way of doing it then.

Except using one computer, not two.

And you'll need different apps, those are Windows (and i think Linux) only.

ctrl+t,

I'm not dissing macs here at all, I'm simply curious :D what about macs makes CS3 run better? I can't even imagine it being better than this....

Well it'll be able to do everything you listed there, so it's no better or worse from what you're saying. (except for the whole Ctrl+T thing if that's actually true).

That's not the point, the point is simply that you would assume normally that clicking the 'x' in the corner of the window would close the program and not just that one window.

Like I said I like it that way, but I can imagine someone new to Macs would be like 'What the hell..?'

That all depends. If you're a veteran Mac user switching over to Windows (unlikely, yes, but still an example nonetheless), you wouldn't expect it, if it's your first computer you learn to live with it and if you're switching from Windows to mac, you probably know what you're switching too, no? And then again, not quiting an application is not that bad on mac - the major difference is that you can see wich applications are still open one mac with the Dock, so if users just get used to the dock (don't say that the dock is strange to switch to, too, since you might just as wellnot switch if you find that), they'll get used to seeing wich applications remain open, and to right- (or ctrl)-click it and click, 'Quit' to stop working on the application.

And ehre's something interesting: the start button is probably the most 'what the hell' thing in a computer ever - try explaining to new users who never touched a computer before and they won't understand it at all. And Microsoft is with me on this one, since Vienna is planned to get rid of it and be the revolutionairy Windows. Yey!

I would step out and shout 'victory' now, but I'm too ashamed to even move my foot for such a venture.

Victory!

And.. victory again because one victory isn't enough for these forums!

That all depends. If you're a veteran Mac user switching over to Windows (unlikely, yes, but still an example nonetheless), you wouldn't expect it, if it's your first computer you learn to live with it and if you're switching from Windows to mac, you probably know what you're switching too, no? And then again, not quiting an application is not that bad on mac - the major difference is that you can see wich applications are still open one mac with the Dock, so if users just get used to the dock (don't say that the dock is strange to switch to, too, since you might just as wellnot switch if you find that), they'll get used to seeing wich applications remain open, and to right- (or ctrl)-click it and click, 'Quit' to stop working on the application.

So this is better than only having to use 1 click to close a program because?

And here's something interesting: the start button is probably the most 'what the hell' thing in a computer ever - try explaining to new users who never touched a computer before and they won't understand it at all. And Microsoft is with me on this one, since Vienna is planned to get rid of it and be the revolutionary Windows. Yey!

Very true. Microsoft really need to sort this out, even if programs were automatically filed in to Start Menu Categories (i.e. Games, Internet, Office etc). There are solutions available but setup for most is too complicated for someone new to computers to handle

I would step out and shout 'victory' now, but I'm too ashamed to even move my foot for such a venture.

What sort of 'Victory' are you talking about here? You can't honestly believe that that post proves Mac is better than PC?

We all know Jordan already had that title;) KIDDING! Your just The King of Fun nothing more:bouncy:

and of wanking into jars but thats a different story...

Not better, just... different? You're looking at that function alone, but I'm quite happy that doesn't happen, because more than once I accidentally closed an application (photoshop) without the intention to. It's a failsafe mechanism, and not all applications have this. But take Photoshop, the application itself is not in a window on mac, so you can't close that window to close that program... So on Windows it's a window in a window, making it impossible to scroll in. Think of it this way: if you have five internet explorer windows open, clicking the red 'x' button on windows will not stop the application, now will it?

Very true. Microsoft really need to sort this out, even if programs were automatically filed in to Start Menu Categories (i.e. Games, Internet, Office etc). There are solutions available but setup for most is too complicated for someone new to computers to handle

There are no official solutions avaible and i'm waiting to see what Redmund does with Vienna and how they'll revolutionize Windows. I hope it's not going to be a rip-off or software acquired through buy-through. They have to it themselves.

What sort of 'Victory' are you talking about here? You can't honestly believe that that post proves Mac is better than PC?

Man, you're boring. It's what we call a joke. In exaguration. It was not meant as victory, it was meant as a stupid remark. Think, erm, 'Family Guy'. Or 'American Dad!'.

How the hell's the start menu confusing? Click start, go to programs, that wasn't hard was it?

How the hell's the start menu confusing? Click start, go to programs, that wasn't hard was it?

To a first time user, i mean, WTF does START mean? to me its the G1 chackpoint in mitosis but ya know. Jaspers point was from a first time user of windows.

It means the programs still running, so on frequently used ones, such as say Safari, iTunes, Word etc it'll take nanoseconds to load up should you need to again. It just kinda streamlines you work where as say on windows if you close the word window after printing a file and then open another one it'll take a while to load as it usually has to load up word all over again.

Just an example based around what i was doing last night printing off my typed revision notes.

"So how do I switch the computer off, can I just click the button?"

"Oh no.. you have to go to Start, then Shut Down."

"...er... wha?"

Now, I personally didn't find that confusing but I'm sure lots of people did.

I've always been curious about tablet PCs, what made you get a tablet?

The fact ihad it for free helped a lot.

I work for a national company in their IT department, we had 16 tablets delivered last year by mistake... they were put to one side and forgotten about, we found them last week and decided to keep'em for ourselves.

Although i seem to be the only one of us that has the Tablet edition of XP installed.

Sign in to follow this