Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Mac vs Windows

Jasper

that url won't load properly

The site does seem to be down atm, check out the youtube videos, they pretty much show you what it does. Though it is a shame such a beautiful OS can be run on such shoddy hardware.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is lots of choice in os with boot-camp and parallels, third party hardware works well and it works without setting it up. there are lots of third parties that develop for macs ie: adobe (who if i remember correctly started on macs) and there are also lots of pheriferals.

the thing about extra hardware is it just works

It "Just Works" on PC too. Only difference is more things "Just Work" on PC. I already know im gonna get shot down for this but tbh i don't care. I know im right and i know the mac boys will just fire PR back at me.

OS X has a good UI, nice looking hardware and good compatability with a small list of hardware/software. It lacks in just about every other field.

The question is never "What can a Mac do that a PC can't?" but "What can a PC do that a Mac can't?"

And the long answer?

There isn't one. It's the same thing every time anyone sees a fault in OS X. All we get back is either spin from the freelance PR departmanet that are Mac fans or else no reply.

Originally posted by theguyfromsparks

And the long answer?

Would still be yes I'm afraid.

Doesn't make sense, but then again, I just bought a 800 quid iMac that I can't upgrade. Where's the sense in that?

The question is never "What can a Mac do that a PC can't?" but "What can a PC do that a Mac can't?"

It can't make you look hip, fool.

WHO THE FUCK GIVES A RATS ARSE ABOUT THE PRICE OF THE THING?!

The price isn't like a £1,000 premium, it's a couple hundred and any new PC should be considered an investment not a throw away purchase. Macs are specced to last a good few years, like most PCs, just that they have a better build quality generally.

It's you choice whether or not to pay it. This thread should be about things thats worth debating, price isn't a major thing when it comes to comparing the 2 OSs.

It "Just Works" on PC too. Only difference is more things "Just Work" on PC. I already know im gonna get shot down for this but tbh i don't care. I know im right and i know the mac boys will just fire PR back at me.

OS X has a good UI, nice looking hardware and good compatability with a small list of hardware/software. It lacks in just about every other field.

on a p.c. things don't just work (at least the first time you use them anyway)

could you please name an accessory that only works on a PC because i don't quite know what your talking about

and the answer to what can a pc do that a mac can't is absolutly nothing. (you can use bootcamp or paralles to use anything that dosen't have a mac version)

honestly i've said it before and i'll say it again. before the users of this thread develop permanent grudges against each other i think it would be best to lock it. for the good of the whole forum this two way rant has gone on long enough. we can understand why pc users use pcs and we obviously know why mac users use macs. for the good of the forum this can't go on any longer.

and for those who care please excuse my grammar

Guest Jordan
on a p.c. things don't just work (at least the first time you use them anyway)

could you please name an accessory that only works on a PC because i don't quite know what your talking about

Two things:

1, 90% of the time when you've finished installing Windows, it'll stick on Microsoft driver versions of whatever hardware you're using. If you want, you can change to the newest through the manufacturer's site. With billions and billions of hardware configurations it would take a few DVD's full of drivers to make it so that it 'Just works'.

2, A few things don't work, mainly older USB printers and most XBOX 360 accessories ;)

It annoys me that Mac is advertise as a platform for "creative" people and artists and whatever. Windows is better for that kind of thing.

How come so many college and university design courses use and basically demand their students get macs for their work then?

It annoys me that Mac is advertise as a platform for "creative" people and artists and whatever. Windows is better for that kind of thing.

Don't say what you do not know! God damnit, I'm a designer and Apple's are just made for creative people. Don't think Windows even comes close.

If you're a designer, you would have known.

Don't say what you do not know! God damnit, I'm a designer and Apple's are just made for creative people. Don't think Windows even comes close.

If you're a designer, you would have known.

Why is this the case though sir?

No one seems to know why they're for creative people.

So I'll tell you all. Because creative people are cool.... Macs, are cool... See the connection?

Macs haven't always been cool, yet graphics designers et al have traditionally been using them. . . i'm seriously looking for a good explanation here lol

you should be able to access the hard drive with boot-camp

other apple professional software:

quick time pro

iWork

aperture

logic pro

shake

apple remote desktop

garage band jam-packs

mac osx server software

web objects

xsan

many more

Why is windows better?

The fact that Apple makes some world class software, Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack Pro, Motion, DVD Studio Pro, Color, Shake, Aperture just to name a few. Just take a look and see how many awards Shake has won and the sheer amount of films that use it. The fact is that Production houses want hardware and software to seamlessly integrate with each other. No body wants to be editing a film and have their computer crash or have a tonne of spyware/virus's.

The Apple store in America is open 24/7/365 why you ask? so the genius bar is always open, so if you get a problem at 2am with your editing/machine then u can take it to them and have them fix any problem you may have. I'd love Dell/any other computer manufactor to offer this customer service. The fact is most companies once they have sold their machines couldn't give a f**k if something went wrong.

Why is windows better?

The fact that Apple makes some world class software, Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack Pro, Motion, DVD Studio Pro, Color, Shake, Aperture just to name a few. Just take a look and see how many awards Shake has won and the sheer amount of films that use it. The fact is that Production houses want hardware and software to seamlessly integrate with each other. No body wants to be editing a film and have their computer crash or have a tonne of spyware/virus's.

The Apple store in America is open 24/7/365 why you ask? so the genius bar is always open, so if you get a problem at 2am with your editing/machine then u can take it to them and have them fix any problem you may have. I'd love Dell/any other computer manufactor to offer this customer service. The fact is most companies once they have sold their machines couldn't give a f**k if something went wrong.

not to mention adobe (and even macromedia before it got bought out) started out on the mac.

adobe still has such a good partnership with them that apple gave then developer copies of leopard a year ago so they could make cs3 so it would work perfectly well in leopard without an update.

i think it would be best to lock it. for the good of the whole forum this two way rant has gone on long enough

I've been thinking this sinse the thread was made but didn't lock because im expecting a lot of backlash.

Meh, time to grow a pair of balls *Locked*

If this starts seeping into other threads then i'll start banning users from said threads. Any problems with this then PM me

EDIT:

There seems to be a bit of confusion as to why i locked this thread.

The thread was set up in the first place to remove the Mac vs Windows flaming from other threads. It's done that and people have had the chance to say their piece. Now the conversation is pretty much moving around in circles. I agree that there have been some very good posts in here but the majority is just flaming and spam.

I asked people to PM me if they have a problem with me locking this. I've had 2 PMs and only one was to complain. Give me a good reason to unlock this thread and i will. What i am not away to do is unlock the thread so it can carry on in the direction it was going.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!